Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
jbl_91762

Lower Back cant handle Mirgage Drive

So I want to get into Kayak fishing and have been reading for weeks for paddle vs peddle. I have a disc bulge between L4L5 with arthritis in the area. My client is an avid fisherman and swears to go with Hobie Outback as he owned several kayaks and now an Outback (also has back problems). Others here love their Mirage drive so I went to OEX Sunset Beach today to test one out. Man that system is sweet and thinking Im gonna get one, BUT 20 mins into testing my back started to get sore. 10 mins more and my back hurts so I turn back. Last 30 mins were grueling and I was hating life due to back pain.

. Also sitting for longer then 3 hours will hurt and requires me to get up and stretch. That said, am I SOL? I was thinking of a Yak with a wide beam that will allow me to stand and stretch. Which also would be good as I'd like to fly fish the local lakes in SoCal also. I will be fishing the harbors around LA and OC but will do open water as I gain experience. Thanks for the help and suggestions to yaks that may work for me. For the money Im looking at either used on CL or the new 2016 Vibe SeaGhost as that has very good reviews for a yak under $1000.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
So I want to get into Kayak fishing and have been reading for weeks for paddle vs peddle. I have a disc bulge between L4L5 with arthritis in the area. My client is an avid fisherman and swears to go with Hobie Outback as he owned several kayaks and now an Outback (also has back problems). Others here love their Mirage drive so I went to OEX Sunset Beach today to test one out. Man that system is sweet and thinking Im gonna get one, BUT 20 mins into testing my back started to get sore. 10 mins more and my back hurts so I turn back. Last 30 mins were grueling and I was hating life due to back pain.

. Also sitting for longer then 3 hours will hurt and requires me to get up and stretch. That said, am I SOL? I was thinking of a Yak with a wide beam that will allow me to stand and stretch. Which also would be good as I'd like to fly fish the local lakes in SoCal also. I will be fishing the harbors around LA and OC but will do open water as I gain experience. Thanks for the help and suggestions to yaks that may work for me. For the money Im looking at either used on CL or the new 2016 Vibe SeaGhost as that has very good reviews for a yak under $1000.
you might want to try the Native Slayer, it uses a different pedaling motion and might cause your back to react differently. It's more like pedaling a bike than the back and forth of the Hobie.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

You could try a Jackson kayak. They have the fancy seats, but you paddle. Maybe that would be a better fit? Maybe you're better suited for a stand-up paddleboard? Or maybe a Hobie with an H-bar for stand up fishing? I think you might have some options still.

Last edited by Dave Legacy; 06-18-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Lower Back cant handle Mirgage Drive

It sounds to me that you need a little more PT before getting out there. I think its doubtful that the mirage drive is the factor in the equation. And if you were on a 2015 or newer outback, its also doubtful the seat was the issue. I too had a herniated L5-S1, canal stenosis, etc. The injury happened 5-6 years ago mind you, but I still deal with the pain after trying multiple cortisone injections. The injections worked well, but did not want to have to rely on them for a lifetime. May consider fusion surgery down the line. Anyways, after my injury, my first kayak was an older hobie revolution. And older seats that slip out and dont have much support did not work out for me. Had to come in, in no more than two hours every trip. Switched over to vantage seat on the pro angler and that was the ticket. Hooked on kayak fishing at that point because it didnt flare up my back anymore. Im now in an outback with the vantage CT seat and its equally as good to the pro angler seat comfort-wise. Dont be discouraged just yet, maybe give it a little more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
jbl_91762

Thanks gents for the advice. I asked OEX about Native and he said it might be better but does not have a rental nor can I find anyplaces to try it. The PA 12 is just too big a yak for my taste and I don't need to stand all the time, just a little bit here and there so maybe a DIY pontoon. Finally my back pain is not chronic and actually can continue to do heavy weight training 5 days a week but just go heavy on any exercise that puts compression on spine. I've had this injury for over 20 years. I can even mountain bike with no problems at all and that's why I thought the peddle system would work. Looking into best seats to upgrade to now as well as DIY upgradess on ytube.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Thanks gents for the advice. I asked OEX about Native and he said it might be better but does not have a rental nor can I find anyplaces to try it. The PA 12 is just too big a yak for my taste and I don't need to stand all the time, just a little bit here and there so maybe a DIY pontoon. Finally my back pain is not chronic and actually can continue to do heavy weight training 5 days a week but just go heavy on any exercise that puts compression on spine. I've had this injury for over 20 years. I can even mountain bike with no problems at all and that's why I thought the peddle system would work. Looking into best seats to upgrade to now as well as DIY upgradess on ytube.
Ask Brent at OEX Mission Bay about the Native Slayer, he may have a customer who bought one that would be willing to meet you to try it out.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Dave Legacy

Iceman (Andy) posted up a pic of an outback he put a hobie H-bar on for a customer. You don't have to have a PA to use those sort of accessories.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote