Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #21
Baja_Traveler

I got mine - Bob's got his - who else is going to commit and join the club to be one of the first on the west coast to fish one? This thing is going to be absolutely awesome down at Bob's place, and the more I read about Mag Bay, the more I realize that this little skiff will be the key to an epic time this christmas.

I can't recommend the Dinghy Doctor enough - these guys are awesome and go out of their way to educate you about everything on the motor - even showing you how to do your own oil changes and encouraging questions. To top it off, they are very competitive on price, being only a few bucks more expensive than the mail-order places - but you'll never get the education I got going mail order. Support the Locals! They sell Honda, Tohatsu, Yamaha and I think Suzuki outboards - all there to look at. Bob and I went Honda for the top rate warranty, better build quality/design and quieter motor, but you can spend 4-500 dollars less and get the highly rated Tohatsu.

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #22
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
They do a pre delivery, check and fill oil level, answer all your questions and start them up and make sure they are running right. They also do warranty repairs and they got these two "out the door" for $1900.00 each. Now I need my hull # and dealer paperwork so I can get it regestered with the State of California. BTW San Diego Bay has some skinny bone fish waters and there is "gold" to be found in the San Diego flood control channel. Not to forget these are skiffs, not sit on tops so local lakes are available too.

WHO is going to commit at the SHOW and get their show discount????? I understand ANDY will be placing an order for "SOLD" Solo Skiffs on the morning of the 6th of March, with expected delivery dates starting about the 20th. YOU do not want to miss the BOAT. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:55 AM   #23
blazian

Bob and Baja, where do you guys plan on mounting your FF? on the H rail? or are you going to try and mount it on the front rect pod thing?
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:05 AM   #24
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
I ordered the Solo Skiff in Sea Foam from OEX Mission Bay about $1950 out the door with the H rails from Hobie. I will add a swivel boat seat from West Marine. The Honda 6 will arrive next Friday from the Dingy Doctor for $1900 out the door. I will transfer the Dragonfly 7 between the Outback, the Solo Skiff and the Gregor.
That makes the skiff almost $4K which is a lot of money, but I feel there will be a lot of BANG for that cash. Besides doing Asuncion, and Mag Bay, Puertocitos to Punta final. There would be the afternoons to Isla San Luis, carry over the "0" gravity chair and dinner makings and spend the night. Life is good I HOPE YOU ARE LIVING YOURS, to the fullest. Tight Lines.
Gonna have a landing pad fore the drone?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:43 AM   #25
goldenglory18

Quote:
I ordered the Solo Skiff in Sea Foam from OEX Mission Bay about $1950 out the door with the H rails from Hobie. I will add a swivel boat seat from West Marine. The Honda 6 will arrive next Friday from the Dingy Doctor for $1900 out the door. I will transfer the Dragonfly 7 between the Outback, the Solo Skiff and the Gregor.
That makes the skiff almost $4K which is a lot of money, but I feel there will be a lot of BANG for that cash. Besides doing Asuncion, and Mag Bay, Puertocitos to Punta final. There would be the afternoons to Isla San Luis, carry over the "0" gravity chair and dinner makings and spend the night. Life is good I HOPE YOU ARE LIVING YOURS, to the fullest. Tight Lines.
Bob is my spirit animal.......
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #26
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
Bob and Baja, where do you guys plan on mounting your FF? on the H rail? or are you going to try and mount it on the front rect pod thing?
I'm not going to put rails on mine - initially at least. I want to see how I like the bare hull for fishing and maneuvering around first since I do alot of fly fishing. I'm going to put an appropriate size Yak Attack rail on that front pad you are thinking of, and use the same mount from my PA.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:22 AM   #27
Mahigeer

Just a reminder; if you use a trailer to bring back these, you cannot use the Sentri card lane at the border.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #28
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Just a reminder; if you use a trailer to bring back these, you cannot use the Sentri card lane at the border.
VERY TRUE, but with the rack and the truck bed there should be no problem, as kayaks ARE allowed in the Sentri Lane.
Blazian, Not sure, it could go forward or on the rail. It will depend on how my flyline lays in the skiff as to where it is most out of the way. Right now thinking forward bulkhead.
Rossman, landing pad is a definate possibility up front.
Goldenglory18, "SPIRIT ANIMAL" that's a first, but I like it, a lot.
Baja_Traveler, Kai I am thinking the bare rails will help control line on my sloppy retrieve as I seem to have a poblem using a stripping basket. Really want to copy Mike Scales retrieve stance and style, as they are as sweet as any backcast I've ever watched.

For you FLY FISHERMEN out there, I think these craft will be a ticket to paradise. Stand up stable even for us oldsters which allows us to enjoy our passions well into our SEVENTIES. BTW who's going to be next. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
makobob
Baitless on Baja

UPDATE

OEX in Mission Bay is a dealer for Boone Dox which means they will be able to sell and if needed install the Landing Gear with hard wheels OR Wheel Eze sand tires. So for you Solo Skiff guy's sitting on the fence you now have a great way to roll your new Skiff to the water in La Jolla, Baja or where ever you launch. Tight Lines. The Boone Dox guys have installed these on the Solo Skiffs and they work well.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #30
Mike scales

Been watching these skiffs for a while, I will own one pronto!
Happy to take you to the city of bones, Bob!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #31
Mike scales

What kind of deal will they have at Fred H?

Last edited by Mike scales; 03-06-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #32
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike scales View Post
What kind of deal with they have at Fred H?
$1750 and free shipping, They are placing order with factory TODAY. Don't miss out. They will be great at our Island. Tight Lines Mike.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #33
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike scales View Post
Been watching these skiffs for a while, I will own one pronto!
Happy to take you to the city of bones, Bob!
Don't forget me! Actually one of the first places on my list during the 10 hour engine break-in will be out of the J street marina...
Old 03-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #34
5-20

Nice!!! I looked at the white one at Fred hall for a while. Definitely intrigued by the boat!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.7 KB, 152 views)
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #35
Mike scales

Quote:
$1750 and free shipping, They are placing order with factory TODAY. Don't miss out. They will be great at our Island. Tight Lines Mike.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #36
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Don't forget me! Actually one of the first places on my list during the 10 hour engine break-in will be out of the J street marina...
Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #37
domtesta27

I think this will have to replace the Hobie I was gonna buy for next Octobers Mexico trip, keep the paddle yak for the short day trips and get one of these for longer range and getting out to those islands in a flash!
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #38
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtesta27 View Post
I think this will have to replace the Hobie I was gonna buy for next Octobers Mexico trip, keep the paddle yak for the short day trips and get one of these for longer range and getting out to those islands in a flash!
Under normal Gonzaga conditions I would figure 15-20 minutes out and maybe 30 minutes back to and from Island. About an hour straight run to Punta Final in fair conditions. Will not know for sure until we put them into the Sea of Cortez as to how they will take the Gulf wave/chop conditions. Remember the Pangas were specifically designed for that chop. Only time will tell, but I am betting that they will do fine. Testing will take place in Gonzaga this spring as the Spring Break Trips will give us a chance to test them extensively down there. Yes YOU can test drive mine at Campo Turistico at KM 134, if I am there. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #39
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Hot off the Phone

GOOD NEWS from Tom at Solo Skiffs he just told me that OUR skiffs will leave their facility on the 13th (next MONDAY) and should arrive in So. Cal by the 20th of March. Just in time for the Spring Break Baja trips. HAPPY DAYS are here again! Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #40
defjack

Thats good news I cant wait to get down there.
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote