Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Gettinuglysson
Newb

Opinions on Cobra Tourers please

my parent's are thinking about getting a cobra tourer (single, not double) and want to know people's opinions on that particular boat and cobras in general.

thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
T-Rex

I've got a Cobra Tourer and like it for paddling. It's a great touring kayak - fast with good storage with the 2 A hatches and large center hatch.

It performs much better with the rudder system - without the rudder it tends to weathervane if wind or swell are coming from behind.

Suggest your parents paddle one before buying.

TL
Rex
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
scwafish

My son has one and loves it. Very light, fast and reasonably dry. Rudder is a must have. Aluminum rudder pedals and mount are also a must have, the plastic ones SUCK. Tough to rig but worth itif your looking for a sleek fishing yak.
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
denno23

I am on my 2nd tourer and love it. I've never had a rudder system and have not found a need for it, fishing/diving off LJ. I opt not for it because I just don't want the extra lines running up the sides of the boat (more things to get sebiki hooks caught on). It is fast, easy to rig for fishing or diving. It's not as stable as a fish & dive, but after a few times out you get the feel and the speed makes up for it. My issues are the seat area flexs at the round hatch and water gets in (I put a piece of foam to hold it up and it works), and there are no scupper holes in the seat so your but can get alittle stewy. The bottom line is try the boat out and see how you feel about it. Try as many kayaks as you can.
good luck and have fun,
Denno
denno23 is offline   Reply With Quote