Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
katz
Junior

Hobie Vantage Seat vs Older Model Seat

Considering a Hobie kayak and I would like to get some opinions regarding seating. I would really like something comfortable (considering an Oasis for my wife and I).

Is the new Vantage seat way more comfortable than the seats that you could get on an older model kayak?

Thanks. Katz
katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
ctfphoto

Yes, Vantage Seat is very comfortable and dry.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
socal.beach.bum

Much more comfortable and better for your back
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Mahigeer

I think it takes time to get used to new Hobie seat.

My back was hurting when I tried Bob's Outback with the new seat, yet on my own Malibu seat I was comfortable for longer hours.

I liked the fact that I could store tackle under the seat. As long as I did not overturned.

My newly purchased 2013 outback has older style seat. I am going to try the seat I got from Andy for the Malibu. Hope it works out.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I think it takes time to get used to new Hobie seat.

My back was hurting when I tried Bob's Outback with the new seat, yet on my own Malibu seat I was comfortable for longer hours.

I liked the fact that I could store tackle under the seat. As long as I did not overturned.

My newly purchased 2013 outback has older style seat. I am going to try the seat I got from Andy for the Malibu. Hope it works out.
Thew new seat is a way better than the old seat, are you sure you adjusted it correctly? I had a Revo with old seat, when I moved to the new yak with the vantage seat all my back pain went a way. I guess everyone is different.

Last edited by octico; 11-25-2015 at 07:42 AM.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Harry Hill

the one good thing about my Ascend kayak is the seat, it's very comfortable. I raised it a couple of inches because I didn't like the bidet effect from the scuppers in choppy water.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I tried both Outback seats and decided I liked the old seat better, especially for the price difference. Other than the seat, there only minor cosmetic upgrades to the 2015 over the 2014 that are not important to me. The cup holder drains, whoop-dee-doo. Two little storage net pouches rather than one. Who cares? Not me. Hobie is very good at upselling. If we shop and buy an older year wisely, we can often sell it for the same price we paid when we want to upgrade. If we buy it new, we are going to take an $800 price hit in the first year. More if we buy new add on accessories. Some people have lots of money to spend and they like new things. I have to make things work on a more limited budget. I'll let someone else enjoy the price hit. Whatever we buy is going to get beat up with usage. The plastic is soft. Things break. The idea is to have fun and go fishing.

The new seat has storage room underneath. That might be useful.

There is a lot of marketing hype about how great the new seat is for the Outback, but we usually hear nothing about the similar seat on the PA. Therefore, we have to separate the hype from the reality. If everyone hears how great it is, then everyone gets conditioned to say how great it is. There's also the matter of pride of ownership after someone pays through the nose for a brand new kayak off the showroom floor. They will have a tendency to want to justify the cash burn.

I had a 2008 Outback and bought two 2014 Outbacks. One of the 2014 seats rubbed my ribs with my PFD on, but not sure why. The edges needed to be softened or bent back. Maybe it was too new or maybe it was adjusted weird. Maybe I had the lumbar cushion adjusted wrong. Not sure.

The other 2014 seat and same 2008 seat are very comfortable and soft in the right places. I have no back issues at all. I feel the bucket shape molded into the hull gives me good back support and control. I can pump around for 10 miles and not get tired. My legs might get tired from pushing hard, but it's because it's a good workout. That and my general cardiovascular workout is where I would feel myself tiring. Not in my back.

I can pull the straps and adjust my back forward or backward easily to change the angle of my legs for pumping. If it's a long distance and a steady leg pump, it's nice to spread around the workout on my muscles by moving the seat back angle forward or backward.

The best thing to do is go to the dealer and peddle around in a 2015 or 2016 demo for awhile. Feel for yourself. Do it long enough to tire your muscles a little to see what happens.

I would imagine back conditions vary widely between individuals, as might weight and age. I'm 63, healthy back and not overweight. For me, the old style is just fine.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-25-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
ctfphoto

I have not tried the old style but was told they can be a wet ride.

I paddle a wilderness systems yak for four years and the seat was extremely comfortable but could easily be a wet ride.

I did go with the new outback, the seat is indeed very comfy and super dry. I got tired of siting in a puddle of water.

Plus your are quite a bit higher up giving a little better view.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
Mahigeer

Oc tico,

I did some adjusting with the seat, and it did help. I am sure it is matter of getting used to.
I did not spend a lot of time on that kayak.

ctfphoto,
Don't the drain (scupper) holes remove water from under the seat?

Mine has plugs in it, but I will be removing them.

I have one way scupper plugs, but not sure yet if they will work and are out of my seating area. Yet.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Oc tico,

I did some adjusting with the seat, and it did help. I am sure it is matter of getting used to.
I did not spend a lot of time on that kayak.

ctfphoto,
Don't the drain (scupper) holes remove water from under the seat?

Mine has plugs in it, but I will be removing them.

I have one way scupper plugs, but not sure yet if they will work and are out of my seating area. Yet.
You won't notice the difference until you have been out for hours.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
momo fish

How often are you out fishing and are you surf launching ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
I tried both Outback seats and decided I liked the old seat better, especially for the price difference. Other than the seat, there only minor cosmetic upgrades to the 2015 over the 2014 that are not important to me. The cup holder drains, whoop-dee-doo. Two little storage net pouches rather than one. Who cares? Not me. Hobie is very good at upselling. If we shop and buy an older year wisely, we can often sell it for the same price we paid when we want to upgrade. If we buy it new, we are going to take an $800 price hit in the first year. More if we buy new add on accessories. Some people have lots of money to spend and they like new things. I have to make things work on a more limited budget. I'll let someone else enjoy the price hit. Whatever we buy is going to get beat up with usage. The plastic is soft. Things break. The idea is to have fun and go fishing.

The new seat has storage room underneath. That might be useful.

There is a lot of marketing hype about how great the new seat is for the Outback, but we usually hear nothing about the similar seat on the PA. Therefore, we have to separate the hype from the reality. If everyone hears how great it is, then everyone gets conditioned to say how great it is. There's also the matter of pride of ownership after someone pays through the nose for a brand new kayak off the showroom floor. They will have a tendency to want to justify the cash burn.

I had a 2008 Outback and bought two 2014 Outbacks. One of the 2014 seats rubbed my ribs with my PFD on, but not sure why. The edges needed to be softened or bent back. Maybe it was too new or maybe it was adjusted weird. Maybe I had the lumbar cushion adjusted wrong. Not sure.

The other 2014 seat and same 2008 seat are very comfortable and soft in the right places. I have no back issues at all. I feel the bucket shape molded into the hull gives me good back support and control. I can pump around for 10 miles and not get tired. My legs might get tired from pushing hard, but it's because it's a good workout. That and my general cardiovascular workout is where I would feel myself tiring. Not in my back.

I can pull the straps and adjust my back forward or backward easily to change the angle of my legs for pumping. If it's a long distance and a steady leg pump, it's nice to spread around the workout on my muscles by moving the seat back angle forward or backward.

The best thing to do is go to the dealer and peddle around in a 2015 or 2016 demo for awhile. Feel for yourself. Do it long enough to tire your muscles a little to see what happens.

I would imagine back conditions vary widely between individuals, as might weight and age. I'm 63, healthy back and not overweight. For me, the old style is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #12
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
How often are you out fishing and are you surf launching ?
I try to get out 2 days a week. During the summer it was all at La Jolla through the surf. La Jolla surf was pretty calm all summer. Lately I've been fishing around the entrance to SD bay. I like moving around to keep things interesting.

I've never noticed the "wet ride" in my Outback ... so to speak. Maybe my butt isn't paying attention. I get splashed a little in the course of fishing or sometimes if rough water hits the bow of my boat, but I'm certainly not sitting in a sopping seat bucket of sloshing water.

I've never noticed getting wet unless I'm seriously knocking around in higher surf for practice. In that case, I'm wet all over.

---

Borrow a kayak with both seat types from a buddy and go fishing for the day. That will tell you more than using a demo from the dealer for a hour.

Lots of people have individual back issues. What's comfortable or not can vary widely. Personal comfort in a kayak that's good for you is an important consideration.

When I was in my 30's, I seemed to be twisting my back all the time from lifting things and general construction work. That stuff went away in my 40's and my back feels stronger, more flexible and with more endurance now at 63 than it's ever been in my life. I am generally cautious not to overexert or take chances with my back. I have also been overweight in the past which is a pain in the butt. It can be hard on our backs because joints and other structure that is supposed to move more easily get impacted and rigid.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-27-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote