Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
steve999

Hobie Revo seat

Someone has probably done this before, but when I looked for seat alternatives, I didn't see it, so thus this post.

For those of us with the older style hobie seats, this works:

IMG_20151202_140123.jpg

My back was killing me with the older style hobie seat. I tried a stiffer high backed seat, and that was definitely better, but my back still got horribly sore after about 4 hours on the water. My back is not the best, so I can't handle what a lot of the rest of you can.

So I decided to take a whack at building something better, because it was either that or the boat had to go. I just took a piece of oak plywood (oooo, the expensive stuff, $15 at Lowes), had them cut a section that was 14" by 24", rounded off the bottom edge to match the contour of the kayak, did a little puttying the edge gaps, sanding and varnishing, and zipped tied on some foam. I originally thought it would require some struts to hold it in place, and bought some angle aluminum that I was going to bolt on the backrest. But nope, just drop it behind the wheels, and it wedges itself in there. So I just returned the aluminum (sort of expensive anyway). I don't even tie it down, but that might be needed if you went out in some heavy chop.

Will this dig into the plastic? Don't know. I've been using it for about 6 weeks now and it doesn't seem to cause any problems or wear marks. Feels sturdy too. Nothing flexes when you lean against it. The one trick though is to round the bottom of the board to match the contour of the kayak, which takes a bit of work.

This is so comfortable. I can stay out all day now with no issues. I also can flip the board around so that I'm leaning on the side without the foam, and am more reclined. That is oh so nice. My life jacket rides up near my neck a bit for a headrest, and ahhhhh, I could even fall asleep.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
warburto

The thing I'd watch out for is putting any undo strain on the scupper holes. I assume your wheels are what are holding up the board, and the wheels are being held in place by the scuppers. Be careful because those scupper holes are prone to breaking.

Otherwise, glad you got something that's giving you relief when you're on the yak.
warburto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

I feel your pain, literally. Im typing this with pain in my back right now. Which I feel 70% of the day. I had to move to vantage seat after my revo with the old seat. Nice mod! Anything to keep you on the water longer increases your chances at catching dinner.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote