Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
BigTunaL

Deterring Seals

Anyone tried any of the NOAA approved methods below? I think I’ll adding a slingshot to my tackle box next time.

Source:

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa....ce_methods.pdf

Potential methods for use by fishers to deter Pacific harbor seals, California sea lions, and eastern U.S. stock Steller sea lions from damaging gear or catch (anglers must be actively fishing with gear deployed).
Visual Repellents/Noise Makers:
• boat hazing, circling
• pounding on hull
• pyrotechnics (e.g., bird screamers, bangers, underwater firecrackers, cracker shells)
• starter pistols
• horns, bells, whistles
Physical Contact:
• slingshots
• non-toxic and water soluble paint ball guns • non-lethal ammunition (e.g., rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers)
Methods to Avoid – The following methods and techniques have an increased likelihood of causing injury or death and should be avoided.
• No Firearms with “live” (lethal) ammunition
• No Devices with Injurious Projectiles (e.g., archery gear, crossbows, spear guns, bangsticks) • No Sharp/Pointed Objects (e.g., harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail studded bats/poles/clubs)
• No Entangling Devices (e.g., loose webbing, snares, concertina wire)
• No Aggressive Tactile Methods (e.g., striking animals with bats, hammers etc., impact with vehicles or boats)
• No Tainted Baits or Poisons
Act responsibly & use common sense
Regardless of method or intent, the property owner or fisher may be subject to prosecution should a marine mammal be seriously injured or killed as a result of deterrence efforts for the protection of property, gear or catch.
Remember personal safety
Attempts by property owners and/or fishers to deter nuisance animals from engaging in unwanted behaviors using non-lethal means is a personal choice and not without risk (to the person doing the deterring and anyone around them). Sea lions and seals are wild animals that may react unpredictably to non-lethal deterrence measures, resulting in personal injury or additional damage to property. Sea lions are large and powerful animals that can move as quickly as a person on land.
Be aware of people around you and be courteous
The safe use of some of the above-listed potential methods (e.g., cracker shells, non-lethal ammunition) requires considerable skill and experience. The use of some of these methods may precipitate undesirable social interactions. If you are in possession of a firearm, law enforcement officers approaching your property or vessel will assume that your firearm is loaded with lethal ammunition.
Individuals attempting to deter nuisance sea lions and seals, using the above the listed potential methods are similar techniques, do so at their own risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
goldenglory18

Never mind. I'm tired and short sleep....

Last edited by goldenglory18; 04-25-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Lack of reading comprehension
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

might be overkill but I like the 12 gauge option with some rubber buckshots

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

Sling shot

I always carry a wrist rocket with some paint balls to deter them when fishing for a species that they might be interested in...if I wasn't so cheap I'd get a small paint ball gun...LOL...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

If sling shots are considered an acceptable non-lethal contact option, I wonder if the same logic would apply to a Sig Sauer P320 CO2 semi-automatic 30 round air pistol that shoots pellets?

Serious question.

https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-AIR...+sauer+air+gun

Yours for only $99.95 and free shipping from Amazon Prime.

It might be useful to wrap a red tape around the end of the barrel in some way to attempt to indicate you are not brandishing a firearm. It also comes in a desert tan color which might appear less obvious and less threatening to the uninformed. I think black is already generally perceived to be the color of an assault weapon.

Specs:
https://www.airgundepot.com/sig-sauer-p320-pellet-pistol-coyote-tan.html

Muzzle velocity is "up to" (meaning less than) 450 fps. It shoots pellets or steel bb's. I don't know what the effective range might be.

It would be a bummer to get shot for pulling out an air pistol.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 04-25-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
skrilla

50BMG

Or head over to the nearest PB or sportboat and pass em off
Old 04-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
jorluivil

just keep your bait out of the water and keep moving.............sometimes they go away in a few minutes and other times they will hang around until they see another kayaker or boater. If I have a seal sticking around I just get my bait out of the water, lean the seat back and take a nap.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

I’ve heard that shark shield works just as good on seals as it does on sharks.

^^^SoCalCuda^^^
Biggest salmon -37lbs, lingcod 35”, rainbow trout 23”, brook trout 13”, White Sea bass 33”, bottom fish 23", largemouth 17”, calico 17”, striped sand bass 20”, halibut 23”, sheepshead 16”, cabezon 20.5”, steelhead 25”, red ear 10.5, bluegill 10.5....

Beachestobackroads.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmblH3XWON8qXKSNltF2cHw
SoCalCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #9
dpricenator

I don't know about a sling shot. Since Sea lions rarely expose more than their head, what are we shooting at? A target the size of a soccer ball from 20 yards on a rocking kayak. Good luck with that. I'm pretty good with a wrist rocket, and have killed both squirrels and rabbits with them. That's going to be a tough shot to make. And lets say you bulls eye your target. Pretty good chance of seriously injuring the sea lion. If you had to get them off your dock, and could aim for a body shot, I would be on board.

regarding the pellet gun, with a blunt tipped pellet and a gun shooting less than 500 ft per second, you would be safe knowing it would not penetrate the skull. And that gun would fit the bill. The semi auto is nice, but way less accurate, than a Crossman 2250. Available at Walmart for $60 or so. And there are a ton of after market upgrades, if you want. Only one shot at a time, but ding in the back of the head once and he'll take off. or get mad and flip you over.

However, just know that pellet guns are not non-lethal. I read an article thru a link on an airgun forum a while back. A man was arrested and fined for killing a deer with his air rifle. He was just trying to scare the deer away from his garden and shot the deer in the body with a .177 Crossman. The pellet traveling around 900 fps, pierced the skin and slipped between 2 ribs puncturing a lung. The deer died a few days later. Fish and game did an autopsy and some investigating. He was charged with Discharging a firearm within city limits, and hunting deer out of season. Aside from the fine they revoked his rights to obtain a hunting or fishing license for a few years. On the other hand you could pick up a . 40 cal Pre charged pneumatic air gun and we could go hunting sealions. I wonder if they taste good.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
BigTunaL

Thank you everyone for your input. I am going to take jorluivil’s advise and just wait it out and switch to lures. The last thing I want is hurt sea lions or someone’s feelings.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
Phishphood

Fwiw I've spooked a few sea lions away by casting an 8oz near them. Granted they were younger ones, but they definitely high tailed it out of there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #12
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
If sling shots are considered an acceptable non-lethal contact option, I wonder if the same logic would apply to a Sig Sauer P320 CO2 semi-automatic 30 round air pistol that shoots pellets?

Serious question.

https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-AIR...+sauer+air+gun

Yours for only $99.95 and free shipping from Amazon Prime.

It might be useful to wrap a red tape around the end of the barrel in some way to attempt to indicate you are not brandishing a firearm. It also comes in a desert tan color which might appear less obvious and less threatening to the uninformed. I think black is already generally perceived to be the color of an assault weapon.

Specs:
https://www.airgundepot.com/sig-sauer-p320-pellet-pistol-coyote-tan.html

Muzzle velocity is "up to" (meaning less than) 450 fps. It shoots pellets or steel bb's. I don't know what the effective range might be.

It would be a bummer to get shot for pulling out an air pistol.
As long as it's pellets and not BB it's legal. The point is not to penetrate the skin. I've been in a few party boat where hey used pellet guns to detour dogs.