Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
janines.fishtales@cox.net

OEX 5 gallon bucket bait tank

Hey all. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my bait pump to pump less water? I reversed the polarity but it still pumps too fast. I have the 5 gal system from OEX. I now know why folks spend the money on the Hobie type tanks. Mine is way too high profile and just holds too much water.

The first time i used it, it almost shot out the top like a rooster tail. Then I reversed the polarity but it still pumps too much water. The bucket is always full to the rim and the tank well of my kayak is usually full of water. The bait stays live ok, but would be better if the circulation was not so strong. Cant really afford to buy a new system right now. Any suggestions?

Janine
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

6 volt batter is ideal, does it have have an adjustable aerator head? You can control the flow by constricting the intake by tightening it.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
mrJB

Like Andy said, a 6 volt battery should do it. What size pump (gallons per hour) are you using? A 360 or 500 GPH pump has always worked fine for my tank (which I've set to hold 5 gallons). If you're using an 800 GPH pump or greater, it's too much.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
captnblood34

"tsunami"or a "rule" 500gph will suffice for sure, a quick stop to lowes will do you good, check out the the different pvc ball valves and such and Im sure you can come up with something. Where is your overflow set at on the bucket?
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Ok. So to answer the questions, I don't know what size the pump is. I bought the unit all set up at OEX. So what you are saying is my 12v battery that I am using for both my FF and my bait tank is too much. I keep hearing that. So best case, the bait tank needs its own battery. What is an aerator head and where does it go? What is a pvc ball valve and where would it go? The out take hole and hose is about 3/4 of the way to the top of the bucket.

I guess you guys can tell. I am not too mechanically inclined...
Old 02-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
captnblood34

GOOGLE what a PVC ball valve is. Im currently setting up my own livewell and Im using a 12V motorcycle battery (since I have some laying around) running a simple tsunami 500 gph (Gallon Per Hour) and plan on using the same power source for my FF. A 500 GPH pump is like that water fountain at school that always squirts you in the face and out of that fountain but not much more than that. Your outlet 3/4 the way up is fine. if you mount a PVC ball valve (google) or the friendly plumbing dept. at Lowes can show you.... mounted inline between your pump and bucket sounds like a $0.60 solution.

Good Luck!!!!

Jay
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote