Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
igotpron
Xcoastie

Rectangular hatch?

Has anyone installed a rectangular hatch in something other then a outback or compass?

Bored staring at my oasis with vantage seats. Wondering if I can make one fit. Can anyone provide me the overall dimensions of the hatch? I want to cut out some cardboard and see if it’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Salty

I installed on on my Hobie Passport a couple months back. Was a super easy install and made a big difference in hull accessibility. Was able to reuse the 8" circular hatch on the bow for forward storage/FF battery. Can't get out to the kayak now to measure for you right now, but when I can I'll get the outer edge dimensions as well as the inside dimensions for you if that helps. Here's some pics of the install:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4652.jpg (49.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4654.jpg (60.7 KB, 113 views)
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
igotpron
Xcoastie

Rectangular hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I installed on on my Hobie Passport a couple months back. Was a super easy install and made a big difference in hull accessibility. Was able to reuse the 8" circular hatch on the bow for forward storage/FF battery. Can't get out to the kayak now to measure for you right now, but when I can I'll get the outer edge dimensions as well as the inside dimensions for you if that helps. Here's some pics of the install:

Thanks! Yeah that will help. My hull has a limited flat surface. But looks close. If I just make a template and hold it over the kayak I’d be able to figure it out.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Salty

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.... Out on the water for about 9 hours today THe hatch I installed is the Hobie Vertical Opening Hatch. Here are the measurements I took:

Outside Dimesions: 14-7/8" x 10-3/4" (I'd say round it to 15"x11" for your cardboard cutout)

Inside Opening Dimensions: 8-1/8" x 12" (There's a little lip that the hatch lid rests on when it's closed, so I measured it there since that's the narrowest the opening gets)

(In the pics the measurements look off because of the angle of the camera)

I'd also say to make sure there is nothing structural in that section of the kayak before you cut into it. My Passport has two structural foam blocks on either side of the hatch meant to support weight if someone is standing up there. But the hatch fits between them just fine and I didn't have to alter them in any way.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6642.jpg (56.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6643.jpg (57.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.... Out on the water for about 9 hours today THe hatch I installed is the Hobie Vertical Opening Hatch. Here are the measurements I took:

Outside Dimesions: 14-7/8" x 10-3/4" (I'd say round it to 15"x11" for your cardboard cutout)

Inside Opening Dimensions: 8-1/8" x 12" (There's a little lip that the hatch lid rests on when it's closed, so I measured it there since that's the narrowest the opening gets)

(In the pics the measurements look off because of the angle of the camera)

I'd also say to make sure there is nothing structural in that section of the kayak before you cut into it. My Passport has two structural foam blocks on either side of the hatch meant to support weight if someone is standing up there. But the hatch fits between them just fine and I didn't have to alter them in any way.

Hope this helps!

Thanks man!! Looks like I’m back to the garage to see what I got.

Where did you fish? How did you do?

Old 05-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
Mahigeer

It is a great upgrade.

you can buy insert that takes tackle boxes. I think the 3600 ones.

I did it on my Outback.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:53 PM   #7
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
Thanks man!! Looks like I’m back to the garage to see what I got.

Where did you fish? How did you do?

No problem! Hope it fits your kayak because the extra storage is nice. Saw you commented on the fishing report, so I assume you read it lol
Old 05-02-2020, 11:56 PM   #8
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
It is a great upgrade.

you can buy insert that takes tackle boxes. I think the 3600 ones.

I did it on my Outback.
Great to know, I'm definitely going to look into that. Been keeping my tackle boxes behind my seat, but my next investment will be a livewell (been bumming sardines off my buddy like a crack addict...), so there goes that space. If they fit in the shallower hull of my passport, that would be a sweet solution!
Old 05-04-2020, 06:14 AM   #9
Mahigeer

Here is the rack that fits inside of the square hatch.
https://www.austinkayak.com/Hobie-Ta...ACK12534P.html

Check the various pictures.
Nor sure what the leash and the red gyzmo is. Perhaps to attach it for security.

As to live bait container, I am not a fan. I am worried about the extra weight and higher center of gravity when the tank is full of water.

Turning a flipped kayak with all the extra weight is not going to be easy.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
Salty

Hmmm, I have the vertical-opening hatch, so I wonder if this would fit still. Would be nice if it did! I'll have to look into it a bit more
Old 05-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
Saba Slayer

Rack...

Forget the Rack and just go with the bucket...you can still fit the two Plano's in there and a little extra gear too...

"As to live bait container, I am not a fan. I am worried about the extra weight and higher center of gravity when the tank is full of water."
IMHO...If you are serious about your saltwater fishing you'll probably want to be carrying some live bait...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #12
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Forget the Rack and just go with the bucket...you can still fit the two Plano's in there and a little extra gear too...

"As to live bait container, I am not a fan. I am worried about the extra weight and higher center of gravity when the tank is full of water."
IMHO...If you are serious about your saltwater fishing you'll probably want to be carrying some live bait...
Yeah, I've been having luck with lures and jigs, but from all my years fishing from boats, I know there's no real substitute for live bait most of the time, so the extra weight and balancing issues are worth the trade off for me.

I might just have to try the bucket or rack out and see if it will work for me. If not, I'll try the other and go from there!
Old 05-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #13
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Yeah, I've been having luck with lures and jigs, but from all my years fishing from boats, I know there's no real substitute for live bait most of the time, so the extra weight and balancing issues are worth the trade off for me.

I might just have to try the bucket or rack out and see if it will work for me. If not, I'll try the other and go from there!

The bait tank doesn’t have to be full. With the v1 hobie livewell you can have as little or as much water as you want. If you’re making your own bait or only have a few pieces you only need a couple gallons of water. And that’s what 16lbs? Shouldn’t effect stability to much.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #14
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
I am not against live bait fishing, just the tank.

Angler can catch bait with "Ahi" bait rod, then put the fresh bait on a second rod.
I have a floating mesh net that weighs almost nothing. It is great to keep some bait, but it is better to be out of water for traveling. That is a set back.

As many as anglers there are, pretty much all have different approach to fishing.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 05-04-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #15
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I am not against live bait fishing, just the tank.

Angler can catch bait with "Ahi" bait rod, then put the fresh bait on a second rod.

As many as anglers there are, pretty much all have different approach to fishing.
I usually take a sabiki out to get mac if i come across them for deep dropping. My issue is I don't like to keep the same bait on the line for too long, so I swap it out pretty regularly. If I have to find more bait and drop the sabiki every time, I'd spend no time fishing for real fish lol. And my current method of keeping some bait in the bottom of my net off the side of the kayak just beats the bait up so much it's energy is pretty much spent by the time I use it. Built a floating bucket container to try towing bait, but I might as well be kayaking around with a drift anchor out!
Old 05-05-2020, 07:22 AM   #16
SoCalEDC

in regards to the bait well issue, you can buy or build a live well (buiding is much less expensive, around 100 bucks for the parts, which includes the hoses, pump, vittles vault container, and battery).

I use a bait tube, which works pretty well but it adds drag to the kayak. its an ABS tube with drag fittings on either end so water flows through it. it keeps the fish alive all day. I had a 4" and lost it, bumped up to 6". pros and cons are that the 4" didn't allow big macs to turn around easily, so if you put them in they have to be facing forward (go in tail first) so that they don't get dragged backwards. The 6" creates far more drag and is harder to store on deck.

If you decide to go this route just make sure you use ABS pipe and not pvc as pvc will sink creating even more drag, and making it difficult to access your baits when needed.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote