Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
Dee84cali

Purchase a new fish finder or install rudder

Getting the bug to get back on the water. It’s been a while but anyways I currently have a 2016 trident 15 with Werner paddle and a helix 5 hummingbird with no rudder. I came across a few videos regarding rudder and open water and how easier it is to track. So my question is should I just upgrade my fish finder or install a rudder for better tracking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
FISH11

A good FF is way more valuable then a rudder, IMHO.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Dee84cali

Thanks.. I leaning towards buying a new unit

Old 06-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
Aznronin

Forget the rudder. It adds weight, it’s another thing that can break etc. in the surf it’s another potential hazard that can cause harm to you and in SoCal rudders are pointless on kayaks like your trident.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznronin View Post
and in SoCal rudders are pointless on kayaks like your trident.
Not sure I agree with that. Paddling 5 miles back in the afternoon using only your right arm isn't fun.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
Dee84cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
Not sure I agree with that. Paddling 5 miles back in the afternoon using only your right arm isn't fun.

That’s exactly my point. I consistently have to adjust by paddling on a specific side numerous times before going back to a normal paddles.. I wasn’t sure if there was a significant difference with a rudder, but if i avoid that specific action then I’m all for it

Old 06-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
CardShark

I had a rudder on my Malibu Stealth 12 for a long time and hardly ever used it.
It just ended up being extra weight and another thing to knock around when I would load/unload the kayak so I sold it.
I hate fishing in the wind though so I would almost exclusively go out on when it was calm so perhaps you're different.

If you had no fish finder now and were trying to make that decision, it should hands down be the fish finder.

For you, the decision is it better to have the rare (to me) usefulness of a rudder on certain days or a better fish finder you will probably utilize everyday.
Some of this probably depends on exactly how much better of a fish finder you are planning on getting.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
ProfessorLongArms

If it were a question of having a fishfinder versus having a rudder, I would definitely say fishfinder...

But your improvement is going to be marginal on an upgrade.

I’m a firm believer in just the basics on a sonar...Assuming your unit is reliable, if you can see the bottom structure and what’s hanging on it, The rest is just bells and whistles.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
TJones

All correct

I currently have a newer model trident 15 with a rudder installed. Like mentioned, safety can be an issue when coming in, or going out through the surf. Personally, I have torn skin open like paper from mounting hardware of the rudder. That was on a big surf day and I rolled. Needless to say, the trident 15 tracks very well. If you pick and choose your days and do light quick sessions on water, then not having a rudder is not a big deal. But if you stay on the water for long periods of time in all kinds of conditions, I would recommend a rudder. Most of my experience comes aboard peddle drive Hobies's, so paddling is not necessarily my forte. In very adverse conditions like high wind and swell working against you, I personally prefer a rudder. That is actually the only time I might even deploy the rudder. The Trident 15 is a great ride, but also like a sail compared to the Trident 13 due to it sitting higher on the water and more surface area to create drag. If you have a working meter, then I say roll with the rudder. Conversely, fish finders might not be necessary, but they sure are nice. Every once in a while turning the meter off and going old school is kinda cool though. Hope this helps you make your decision. I think every body nailed the real world advantages and disadvantages.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
Dee84cali

Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback..

Old 06-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

All depends on what you want to do.

If your current FF works ok, and you don't want to spend at least $600 or $700 to replace it, I would just keep the existing FF and get the rudder. I disagree with some here, and I say rudder is critical. Especially for fighting and landing big fish. The tracking issues you are describing drive me freaking crazy, and I always want to fish off the starboard side of the boat. So every time I stop, I rudder starboard to get the correct drift setup. I also use rudder down in big surf landing. It makes a huge difference. Just hop out in knee to thigh deep water and pull up the rudder and its fine.

However, if you have $600/700 or more to spend on FF upgrade, do the fishfinder.

Thanks,
CB
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:09 AM   #12
_Obed
Bird nest master

Wait..

You have a helix 5? Why is this even a discussion, unless you are getting a carbon. Get your ass a rudder and out on the water.
🤡
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #13
Dee84cali

I ended up buying a hds gen 2.. that carbon would have been nice though. Rudder is next for sure

Old 06-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
You have a helix 5? Why is this even a discussion, unless you are getting a carbon. Get your ass a rudder and out on the water.
🤡
Cause the Helix is trash...lol
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #15
SoCalEDC

When I had a trident 13 I eventually added rudder and it was a substantial upgrade for open water fishing, and imo it helped when fighting fish or drifting because i could steer the kayak with my feet to keep the nose into swells and wakes while hooked up.

It honestly probably only weighs 5 or 6 pounds including hardware, bracketry, and cables.

Its easy to install as well, buy the kit and you can have it in within a few hours.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #16
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
When I had a trident 13 I eventually added rudder and it was a substantial upgrade for open water fishing, and imo it helped when fighting fish or drifting because i could steer the kayak with my feet to keep the nose into swells and wakes while hooked up.

It honestly probably only weighs 5 or 6 pounds including hardware, bracketry, and cables.

Its easy to install as well, buy the kit and you can have it in within a few hours.
I have one on mine now, and I'm very glad I made the investment.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
Harry Hill

one good thing about a rudder is it stops the kayak from weather vaning in the wind. I got where I had to tack like a sail boat to make any headway in a wind, continuously correcting your heading to compensate for a wind wears me out. The rudder helps with that.