Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #41
sasha

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-...cer-P1996.aspx

They offer a $50 rebate ... hope that help
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #42
steveoh

Sorry if this question is redundant, but if I'm fishing La Jolla/Newport/HB area, should I be looking at the 50/200 or the 83/200? I usually don't fish in waters deeper than 300' and I was wondering which one would give me better detail or would it really make that big of a difference?
steveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #43
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
I went the route of getting a Mark 5x Pro but was hoping someone could recommend a decent handheld GPS in the under $100 range.

Also if some can hint me on what the 5x Pro is actually displaying that would be helpful. I'm not sure if it is showing what's in front of my by a certain amount of distance or directly below..the manual simply sucks. It definitely told me how to navigate around the menu's though. Sorry noob here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
Although it's annoying that the manufacturers make you pay an extra $2-300 just for GPS capability when you could buy a cheep handheld for under $100, I'll still kick down the extra cash for the combo unit....less clutter on deck, one less battery to charge/forget....always knowing your drift direction and speed is priceless....not to mention the safety aspects...its worth it!!!
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #44
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoh View Post
Sorry if this question is redundant, but if I'm fishing La Jolla/Newport/HB area, should I be looking at the 50/200 or the 83/200? I usually don't fish in waters deeper than 300' and I was wondering which one would give me better detail or would it really make that big of a difference?
If you think you might ever want to use a thru hull Xducer (read: cut a hole in the bottom of ur yak) then you should get the 50/200 because they do not make one for the 83/200. The 50/200 should also give you better results when fishing deep.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #45
GregAndrew

Poorpaddy, as long as you have your Xducer mounted pointing straight down, that is the direction that you are seeing in general. However, you are seeing a cone-shaped area that extends in front, behind and to both sides. The deeper the water you are fishing, the further it extends in all directions at the bottom. Also, the 200 khz ping shoots a narrower cone than the 83 or 50khz pings. But the later will give you deeper returns.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #46
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
Thank you, that is extremely helpful. I have it set to 200khz and it pointing straight down just behind the mast support beam in my revo. Awesome, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Poorpaddy, as long as you have your Xducer mounted pointing straight down, that is the direction that you are seeing in general. However, you are seeing a cone-shaped area that extends in front, behind and to both sides. The deeper the water you are fishing, the further it extends in all directions at the bottom. Also, the 200 khz ping shoots a narrower cone than the 83 or 50khz pings. But the later will give you deeper returns.
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #47
Handymansd
Ancient Member

For those of you that may be interested someone offered me a very slightly used HDS-5 140-20, (after I purchased mine) for $625 shipped. PM me so as not to thread jack if you might be interested..

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #48
IB Fish"N"

I am also interested in the HDS-5 or the Elite-5 DSI fishfinder but does that also mean that a wet mount on the transducer won't work? And does anyone who ownes one of these have any pics of the transducers?
IB Fish"N" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #49
peguinpower
bing!

I like humminbirds.

They now offer a shoot thru hull down imaging transducer. Humminbird has a tx exchange program. If you buy one of the new di units, you can swap the stock unit with the shoot thru model for free by sending it in.

http://fishfinders.factoryoutletstor...ih-9-di-t.html

Check the new 596di and 570di units. Down imaging for 5 bills.

Sweet. 4000 watts, color and down imaging for less than 500 street.

http://www.anchorexpress.com/Product...tCode=408110-1

The 570di is a black and white, down imaging unit for less than 300.

Yey. Maybe on my next kayak.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #50
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Fish"N" View Post
I am also interested in the HDS-5 or the Elite-5 DSI fishfinder but does that also mean that a wet mount on the transducer won't work? And does anyone who ownes one of these have any pics of the transducers?
The DSI is probably even more difficult to mount to a kayak. Check out the transducer for it on the Lowrance site under accessories/structure scan. Lots of possibilities with the HDS though.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #51
Sloberdog
Junior

Lowrance Mark-5x DSI..check this out

All this talk about fish-finders and not been out at LJ in months, I'm thinking.. what if I upgraded my Cuda? Maybe then, when the fish show up, I would have a better chance of dropping a jig on a passing schools of . I still have not been able to drop a jig on the right kind, except when needing to make bait, I think I finally got that down.

Check out the side to side comparison of the Mark-5x DSI against HDS8 and HDS10.. Impressive, now, if we could only get the YT/WSB master "THE DARKHORSE" test one and give us his thoughts and how well it shows us the kelp ghosts. Heck, I think it would be a good investment for Lowrance to hire him for a week, demo their units...and catch a couple fish of a lifetime while doing so.

All the Mark-5 DSI models are only good to 200ft.. The deepest I have ever fished for YT on the kayak has been 150ft or so. Not sure if 200ft+ is necessary.
Sloberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #52
IB Fish"N"

Well i guess the Elite5 DSI will work the same way they both have the same transducer right? And i ask before but didn't really get an answer if the transducers could be mounted inside a yak with a wet mount and still perform well or at all with the DSI.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #53
driftwood

Now this is a fishfinder!
http://mashable.com/2011/02/22/personal-submarine/#

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #54
IB Fish"N"

Anyone knows if you can shoot through the hull with the Elite 5 DSI?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #55
roadx

i also have the mark 5x pro, if there is little to no current you should be able to follow your iron/ jig down to the bottom in over 200 ft. you need to play with the settings each time you go out to fine tune it for that outing.
i still dont know what iam looking at as far as marks or pings but i can tell the depth of the bait/jig. i can see squid at 200 plus feet using 200 hz, using 83 hz seems to cloud things up for me or and im sure this is the case, i dont know what iam look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorpaddy View Post
I went the route of getting a Mark 5x Pro but was hoping someone could recommend a decent handheld GPS in the under $100 range.

Also if some can hint me on what the 5x Pro is actually displaying that would be helpful. I'm not sure if it is showing what's in front of my by a certain amount of distance or directly below..the manual simply sucks. It definitely told me how to navigate around the menu's though. Sorry noob here!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #56
GregAndrew

IBFishn, the shape of the xducer would require a wet mount if installed in the hull. It looks like half a hot dog laying on half a slice of bread and you would need the entire hot dog part in contact. Not sure if that is an option for that xducer though. You can call or email Lowrance and get an answer and they are pretty quick about it.

Best price I have found on the HDS5 w/ Nautic Insight is $686 from Anchor Express.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #57
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Yeah,I tried that one but it was a mutha to attach to the bottom of my yak and thru hull fugettaboutit. It was great for surface pelagics but sucked at finding rockfish.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #58
IB Fish"N"

Thanks Greg went to BPS today they had a Rep there and i ask a ton of questions and he showed me all about the HDS-5 the unit comes with a skimmer transducer the half hot dog you speak of is the structure scan and that is extra and very expensive.