Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
rogersmith

Kayakers rescued Friday 2/18

At least they dont sound like fisherman...

Kayakers rescued off La Jolla Shores

By Jen Lebron Kuhney Friday, February 18, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.
LA JOLLA — Three kayakers were rescued Friday morning after high winds and rough ocean conditions pushed them a couple of miles off La Jolla Shores, said San Diego lifeguards.
A man and a woman, both 25, and a man who worked for a kayak rental company called for help about 11 a.m., said lifeguard Lt. John Everhart.
Lifeguards sent two small watercraft to bring the kayakers back to shore safely by 11:40 a.m.
A gale-force warning was issued by the National Weather Service beginning at 1 p.m. on Friday and will be in effect until 7 a.m. Saturday.
Everhart said it is not advisable to take small crafts out on the water until the advisory is lifted.
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
onetriphudson

Is there any attempted strategy for what to do besides paddle your ass off or just hold on tight?!?

Not that many guys carry anchors, but would something like that help?

What about jumping in the water to swim and just tow your kayak? Provided that you are in good shape and have a wetsuit on.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
YakMedic

Never forget we are at the mercy of the ocean. And those small craft advisory's are no joke.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Jim Sammons LJKF

NEVER LEAVE YOUR KAYAK. I guarantee you will wear yourself out in minutes trying to tow it and you are much safer on it getting blown out to see than you are jumping in the water when it is in the 50's.
Then again use some common sense and choose your days wisely and don't over estimate your abilities.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

I second what Jim said. Jumping in the water in, though it's not freezing out, will still cause major problems.

I had the day off from work due to Pinkeye and thought about going out, that thought lasted about 2 minutes and then I remembered what the weather was suppose to be like.

BE SMART people never paddle out if you don't feel that it's safe to do so.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
onetriphudson

Swimming is not a good option, check! Thanks Jim!

This guy had no choice...

http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns...072314641.html

Damn those aussies are tough!
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmith View Post
At least they dont sound like fisherman...

Kayakers rescued off La Jolla Shores

By Jen Lebron Kuhney Friday, February 18, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.
LA JOLLA — Three kayakers were rescued Friday morning after high winds and rough ocean conditions pushed them a couple of miles off La Jolla Shores, said San Diego lifeguards.
A man and a woman, both 25, and a man who worked for a kayak rental company called for help about 11 a.m., said lifeguard Lt. John Everhart.
Lifeguards sent two small watercraft to bring the kayakers back to shore safely by 11:40 a.m.
A gale-force warning was issued by the National Weather Service beginning at 1 p.m. on Friday and will be in effect until 7 a.m. Saturday.
Everhart said it is not advisable to take small crafts out on the water until the advisory is lifted.
I check the report 1 hour before i leave home, if it looks good ill go out. If there is any concern about safety i choose to stay home.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

really...........rescued in 12 kt winds?!?!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
dorado50

BE SMART people never paddle out if you don't feel that it's safe to do so.[/QUOTE]

Dude, thats the problem!!! most kayak people don't know what is safe and what is'nt...da Lets keep it real here.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
YakMedic

12 knots and 15 gusts isn't very significant. At least usually doesn't req a rescue.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
12 knots and 15 gusts isn't very significant. At least usually doesn't req a rescue.

My point exactly.... that didn't take long
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
m1k3midg3

there was one time where i didnt feel like it was safe to paddle out but did so anyways and it nearly got me killed but i do have to admit it was funner than hell and i would totally do it again. 15 foot waves are AWESOME to try to kayak surf. i had an anchor with me and i wiped out and the anchor line got wrapped round me but i was able to do untangle myself underwater.
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
mtnbykr2

I guess it depends on wether you are paddling or pedaling, but I have been caught in naaaasty off shores, scarrey but doable, and it will wear you down...again be aware of the weather...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
My point exactly.... that didn't take long
Really...
My point is that 12 knot winds should not require a rescue. Should you go out in those winds? No, however if you were on the water and the winds came up. Would you require a rescue to get back to shore?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
bigbarrels

you would think those kayak rental companies would keep a good eye on the current and predicted conditions before taking their clueless customers out wonder if they charged extra for the extended tour of La Jolla?
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #16
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Really...
My point is that 12 knot winds should not require a rescue. Should you go out in those winds? No, however if you were on the water and the winds came up. Would you require a rescue to get back to shore?
tourist, probably never paddled or peddled a yak. The rental company should have know better.

the real question is how did they get in contact with the lifeguards, from a post I read, it sounded like that is almost impossible.

hay yakmedic, is it just me or is your kayak sitting low in the water in your avatar, passing wave?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
YakMedic

hay yakmedic, is it just me or is your kayak sitting low in the water in your avatar, passing wave?[/QUOTE]

Both,
I'm not a little guy, I have a xfactor now also so it rides higher.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
Aaron&Julie

I tend to agree, that those people were out of their element.
We've had to go 3 miles from the south LJ kelp with a strong downhill current against us, and 15mph+ North winds in our face, to get back to the launch. It probably took us over 2 hours to do it and it was the hardest we ever had to work, but it beats ending up in TJ.
Add-on: we paddled our Fish n Dives using the original paddles that came with our Cobra package. Too short, bad design, and heavier than the Werner 2-piece ones we bought last year.
On the plus note, Julie caught her 1st WSB (30+) in the south kelp area, and I managed to end the long day/paddle with a yellow (30+), once we passed the Condo. Just rewards, but made one helluva workout worthwhile

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 02-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
Is there any attempted strategy for what to do besides paddle your ass off or just hold on tight?!?

Not that many guys carry anchors, but would something like that help?

What about jumping in the water to swim and just tow your kayak? Provided that you are in good shape and have a wetsuit on.
An anchor would probably cause more problems than it would be worth. A drift chute on an anchor trolley could help if you had given up on trying to reach shore for a time. The Drift Chute would slow you down, and by positioning it, on the anchor trolley, at the bow or stern you would become less of a sail. There is lots of Bull Kelp, that stretches out a long way from shore, on the South side of LJ that you could possibly tie up to also.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Really...
See graph above from Ice!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote