Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
MuddyMike

fish bag, fish clip?

Working on rigging up my first kayak for fishing.

What do you guys use for keeping fish? I see fish bags, and fish clips. Also how are they attached?
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Billy V

Hi Mike,

As you probably know - we have covered every conceivable kayak rigging question on the forum, and then some.

Not limited to Rod and Reel choices, game clips, bait tanks, paddles, color and types of all fishing line, fluro, GPS units, marine radios, etc.

All this info is Free and available to You 24 hours a day through the "Search Function" in the "General Kayak Fishing Discussion" forum.
-------------------------------
I'm telling you this because its the fastest possible way to get up to speed with your equipment choices.

-Don't forget to visit the "Information" link in the purple bar above.

Tight lines
Billy V
Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
MuddyMike

Hey that information link is great! Didn't know of those articles.

Lots of search results that don't seem to relate. I lose hope by the 4th page or so. Maybe I'm not using the right terms here.

I can take a hint though, I'll start using caution of posting what might be common questions here.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
MuddyMike

nm, the answer is in your answer. searching for "game" instead of "fish" worked. thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

I know a lot of guys use the clips, and then the bags once they get to the beach. Some will use the catch bags, and then stow them in the hull. Do what works best for you.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
bubblehide

Mike, for those of us that have been fishing for years, or grew up fishing, your question appears to be so basic, that some may get a tid bent from it; don't let it discourage you (with the enviro wackos, MLPA... we need every person we can get supporting fishing). Yes there is exceptionally valuable information on this site if you take the time to search; I highly recommend it, but also any questions, just ask away.

A game bag is good for smaller fish like most rock fish, sand and kelp bass... The game clip is good for larger fish, like halibut, yellow tail, white sea bass... both if secured tot he yak, keep the fish from swimming away, flopping out of the yak..., but you could always just put the fish in the hull if your latch and hull storage is large enough.

As for how we secure them, most yaks have these nylon eyelets to clip or tie to: http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...Pack-of/Detail
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
jorluivil

Go to home depot and buy a rod of aluminum stock and make your own game clip, I think I paid under $6 for the piece that I have. Made a loop on both ends, laced one end with some old hoop net rope, laced the other end of the rope to a clip and waaaaalllla!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip.jpg (59.9 KB, 200 views)
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Go to home depot and buy a rod of aluminum stock and make your own game clip, I think I paid under $6 for the piece that I have. Made a loop on both ends, laced one end with some old hoop net rope, laced the other end of the rope to a clip and waaaaalllla!!!
Dude, this rocks, I may have to make one. That sure beats paying $20 or more for one.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Adam12

Thats a pretty good idea Jorge.
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Dude, this rocks, I may have to make one. That sure beats paying $20 or more for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12 View Post
Thats a pretty good idea Jorge.
Thanks...now I just have to catch something large enough to use.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

In Billy V's defense, he's right, all these topics have been discussed to the point of nauseom (Is that even a word? )

To the newbies, please don't take that the wrong way. The fact of the matter is, all of the old-salts have already poured their heart and soul into these threads. It would be a part-time job to continue answering these questions over and over again. If you add that, some guys now post questions they already know the answers, too---just to boost that post count! For reasons I have no idea, nor, do I really want to know the answer. That's a whole 'nother thread in itself, though.

Being that you have a hunting background (that was some beautiful Bacon by the way ), and in my professional opinion, you are clearly on the fast-track to actually putting this advice to use---ya' know amped to get out there? Which is refreshing, by the way.

I'll bite: In essence, you have two distinct roads in kayak fishing. One is to just charge it like a wild Boar! The other is to think about rigging and such, for so long---you know, tinkering in the garage, and thinking about how to improve your man-toys? That you basically suffocate most of your free-time (which translates to less time on the water ). I'm certainly not saying that you fall into either category, but these are just the black and white scenarios, I most often see.

Like most anything else, somewhere right in the middle of those two options is probably best.

You could go to Home Depot and fabricate a game-clip (great idea by the way, George). Hell, I saw a post where a guy thought buying a $2 fish sack was extreme. So he took the time to make one with the raw materials. I don't mean a nice fish bag, either, I mean a burlap sack! Again, not knocking this idea (another great idea), that's pretty damn creative if you asked me. I doubt I would have been able to do that myself; even with the materials. I guess it's a time-is-money sort of thing for me?

I suppose you could just use a piece of rope and a tent-stake for a game-clip, too. For basically free, and I bet you already have the materials in your garage. Whether you just buy the game-clip or use the tent-stake with rope---there's only only piece of advice I'll give you. And for some crazy reason, it's the most overlooked: Have the damn thing already attached (in arms reach) to your kayak!

You don't want to be trying to tie something to your vessel with, a gaffed fish in one hand and your $300 set-up in the other. I would like to think this is obvious, but time and again, I see guys with just a game clip. What the hell is that going to do for you when you have a giant, flopping trophy? The answer is nothing! Besides, maybe providing extra weight for your trophy to sink to the bottom. Or worse, which I've also had the misfortune of seeing more than once: watching a live, trophy-fish, swim off with a game clip, or Boga-grip attached! Talk about bad fish-karma?

I'm sure being a hunter, you'd agree that, if you're going to harvest a beautiful animal---do it right, the first time. Quick and clean!

As for the fish bag, that is just another useful tool. It's certainly not going to help you catch fish, which in my opinion, is what should be priority number one for any angler (obviously). In short, just go fishing! When you catch your first monster, there's a 95% chance you're going to be so stoked---that damn thing will still be alive by the time you hit the beach. That said, remember to always bleed your fish as soon as it's safely secured on deck (tied down so there's no possible escape ).

My advice for the bag: You can go the expensive route (nice insulated bag $50-$80), but in most scenarios, it's no better than a burlap sack unless you pack it with ice every day. Which some guys consider bad luck to begin with . All kidding aside, if you have a good feeling you're going to be catching fish, or you know you're not coming in too early, these are great!

The most important use of a bag, ice or no ice, is simply keeping your fish out of the sun. Which, well, a burlap sack for $2 will do the same thing. Not only will the burlap sack keep the sun off your fish, but you can easily continue to hydrate your fish by simply splashing some cool water (when deemed necessary).

Above all, after you get the minimal necessary gear (fishing as well as safety), charge like a damn Wild Boar. Just go fishing! Try not to spend too much time recreating the wheel. Pay close attention to the guys always catching fish. There's a reason why we all use the gear we use. Well, most of us .
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
MuddyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
One is to just charge it like a wild Boar!
I'll have proof I'm charging like a wild boar .... a soon as next month's credit card bill comes.

In all seriousness, thanks for the help, everyone else too. I'm not picking up my kayak till later this week, so right now all I have is time to virtual-rig my yak.

All that's really left is the rods/reels, everything else is ordered, or I have. (except the burlap ). I'm hoping to get in the water next weekend.

Oh yeah, and as for the piggie, cooked up 1/2 the ribs tonight, and it was a hit. A marinade of cider vinigar, worcestershire, and cayenne pepper tamed all the gaminess out of that old boar.

dang, there's smilies for everything here.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
maui jim

Hey Mike how big was the boar, I'll be going to Paso Robles next week , should be good with all the fresh vegatation springing up along with the acorn drop.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
MuddyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Hey Mike how big was the boar, I'll be going to Paso Robles next week , should be good with all the fresh vegatation springing up along with the acorn drop.
weighed in at 200lbs even. there's a picture in the vacuum sealer thread. if you don't post anything here, PM me about how it goes. good luck!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
peguinpower
bing!

I bought a fish bag off the oex booth at fred hall two years ago. Its been great in keeping slime outta my trunk

On the water, game clip works for smaller fish, but ive had wsb pretzel my clip when landing. Rope with a threading metal rod works just as good if not better.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
bigbarrels

I started out with a game bag and when I caught my first WSB (57 lbs) I basically could fit half of the fish in the bag. I gaffed the fish, sent a large stringer through its gills (pain in the arse), paddled with it on my lap, and before landing stuffed it in the bag the best I could.

Then I realized it was probably much easier to secure the fish with a game clip and went out and bought one. Much easier for me anyways. Then one day I forgot my game bag and had two smaller fish I wanted to keep. I secured them on the game clip and laid them over the side of the kayak just enough to keep them in the water, but where I thought I could make sure a dog wouldn't yank them. Within short order, I had a huge shark within 20 yards of my yak. I came up and went back down and didn't bother me, but it was a beast (6-7 feet between dorsal and caudal fin). So use a clip, just don't dangle your fish in the water. Guys on here have had dogs and sharks chomp on their clipped fish in the water.

So, I like to carry both a game clip and bag. Game clip is makes it easy to secure and handle the fish. The bag is nice to get the fish out of the sun and makes landing through the surf a bit easier. just my experience with the game clip and game bag.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote