Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
EastLosYaker

Cabrillo 3/15

Got skunked yesterday, but was weather was perfect with no wind til after 1pm. Made bait and worked it all the way to Queens Gate. Boat traffic picked up around noon. Highlight of the day was when a gigantic luxury yacht buzzed me at about 30-40 feet. They were so close that I could clearly hear them laughing at me as they passed. I positioned myself to take on the wake and survived without incident. The best part though was that the coast guard vessel saw the whole thing and chased down "Richie Rich" and the rest of his crew. I got my laughs in at that point. Coast guard returned to check up on me and let me know that "that guy was a jerk for doing what he did" and he went over to let him know. Not sure if he actually cited him, but at least he was told that he was wrong for doing it. When the coast guard vessel came back to check on me, they even asked if I lost any gear. I wonder if the yacht's captain would have been liable if I had?
Thanks USCG!
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
broncobilly

Oh yeah, he's liable. Every vessel is responsible for their wake. Especially if close quarters and excessive speed are involved.
If u lost any equipment or suffered injury richie rich would be at fault.
Glad to hear the CG checked up ya.
broncobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
spyakker

For the past two weekends I've been skunk out there, but partly because I'm still trying to figure out what i'm doing and how to read my fish finder (that only worked once). Although I did get half of my 10" Mackeral bit off, that's what I get for not having a trap hook.

Good to know CG was looking after you. Be safe out there!
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyakker View Post
For the past two weekends I've been skunk out there, but partly because I'm still trying to figure out what i'm doing and how to read my fish finder (that only worked once). Although I did get half of my 10" Mackeral bit off, that's what I get for not having a trap hook.

Good to know CG was looking after you. Be safe out there!
Good thing you didn't have a trap hook on that one...you probably would have had a close encounter with a seal.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
spyakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Good thing you didn't have a trap hook on that one...you probably would have had a close encounter with a seal.
Darn, you just killed my hopes and dreams of catching something! haha.
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Sounds like the same kind of Assholes in Newport last weekend (3-7). One wake fully soaked me (fucking assholes). People speeding around like a bunch of maniacs. The sheriff rolled out of the harbor just as we were heading in. They could've written a gang of tickets had they been out a few hours earlier.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Sounds like the same kind of Assholes in Newport last weekend (3-7). One wake fully soaked me (fucking assholes). People speeding around like a bunch of maniacs. The sheriff rolled out of the harbor just as we were heading in. They could've written a gang of tickets had they been out a few hours earlier.
Since the rockfish grounds are in a direct path from the harbor mouth to Avalon run in with boats are pretty frequent. I'm always on the lookout for the ferry to Catalina. That's something you don't want to play chicken with.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
corpsmanusn2001

Those rich pricks are dangerous. Add some liquor on board and it's just a matter of time. Keep your head on a swivel gents! Glad the coast guard folks were on top of it.
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Since the rockfish grounds are in a direct path from the harbor mouth to Avalon run in with boats are pretty frequent. I'm always on the lookout for the ferry to Catalina. That's something you don't want to play chicken with.
Everyone was trying to see the whales, since there were about a dozen right outside the harbor. I had a mola jump out of the water 10 ft from my kayak.

People didn't give a shit about us kayaks, they just wanted to see the whales that day.

Not only that, but there assholes racing back and forth along the beach, less than 50 yards from the sand. I was hoping one of the reefs near arch rock would've put a hole in their boat! Those reefs are no shit 1-3 feet below the surface (at low tide).