Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Saturday 3/14

Slept in and headed down to LJ solo. Got to the beach around 9am parked and on the water around 9:30. Headed out and made some bait and started working my way out to deeper water. Around 10;30 or so I ran over a large mark. About 20-30 feet from the ocean floor. Dropped a iron down and cranked up about 50' dropped again. This time on the third or fourth wind. Rod loads up big time. Drag starts screaming and I was like hell yeah. Fish stopped running after a few seconds. I start working the fish up. It is super heavy not sure what it is. Get it about 50-60' up and it dives straight back to the floor. I pull on the rod trying to turn the fish up. Then SNAP my rod breaks in half, braid pops at end of broken rod. Fish and half my rod gone. Don't know what it was but it was heavy. I think it may have been a BSB. So I am bummed but what you going to do. Keep fishing with the other rods I have. So I start looking for . Spent the whole day looking around working as much area as I could cover. Saw some marks, got hit once but shook the hook. Ended up doing some rock fishing and caught a nice ling, salmon grouper and a few reds. Weather was perfect sea was pretty flat had a nice relaxing day. Back on the beach around 8pm loaded up and left for home. So much life in the water right now. Saw a million birds, hundreds of dolphins, and of course seals. Looking forward to the next time out.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bert Vega; 03-16-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Dennis

Bummer about the lost fish.. But, at least you got some nice fish taco's there..
Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Uh oh! looks like it's time to sell the gear and get outta dodge! Gotta be the first time you have failed to catch at least 1 yellowtail. Bummer on the rod, what kinda rod was it?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Uh oh! looks like it's time to sell the gear and get outta dodge! Gotta be the first time you have failed to catch at least 1 yellowtail. Bummer on the rod, what kinda rod was it?
I have been plenty of times with out catching anything. It was a seeker 30-50 forgot the number. Still had a good day
Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Lipripper92592

Camera holder now

Broken Rod....now you have a "custom" video camera holder
That's got to be about the latest start you've had in some time.
You're getting pretty good on the "mystery" fish.....one of these days
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 AM   #6
double p

bummer about the broken rod, but at least you got some time on the water and some nice taco meat. i gotta get out there with you one of these days so i can learn from a master.

and tell my cousin chris i said hafa (he can explain it to you)
double p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double p View Post
bummer about the broken rod, but at least you got some time on the water and some nice taco meat. i gotta get out there with you one of these days so i can learn from a master.

and tell my cousin chris i said hafa (he can explain it to you)
Anytime bud. But please dont call me a master. I am far from anything like that. Except maybe bait I maybe a master baiter
Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
blitzburgh

Taco time!