Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Dannynguyen

Dana point kelp fishing...

Anybody kayak fishing at Dana Point this Saturday ?
Dannynguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Dana Point Sat.

I've been wanting to try it, never fished it. I was looking at a google map and noticed it's the same distance from my house in Carlsbad to Dana Point as it is from my house to Mission bay. Is the parking, and launch free? How is the fishing there compared to Mission Bay? How far is it out to the kelp beds?
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
mrJB

"Festival of the Whales" this weekend at DP. I wouldn't go near the place, on or off the water...
Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
cell128
lizard king

I fished it only once. Free parking and bait barge available. Tons of info on it if you google "Dana point big waters edge" most popular spot from what Ive read is the pipe. We fished some kelp beds last time it was about 3-5 miles I didn't have a ff at the time
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
PapaDave

If this is the 'Festival' weekend, try elsewhere. You won't be able to get in or out of the harbor area if your are even let in and you can forget about parking anywhere.

As for the kelp areas, there are many to the north as well as to the south. The north area stretches from 1 to 4 miles depending on where you stop. The south area goes on and on and on, I've gotten as far as 4 miles and there are kelp areas the entire way down. Both areas produce well at times. The pipeline is another area and it lines up with the harbor buoy straight out to the DP Yacht club markers about a mile offshore. It can be good at times as well.

Also, you don't really need a FF, just set a drift to pass a few kelp patches, use a live sardine on a dropper or Carolina rig or a swimbait. Kick back and relax and let the wind do the work.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Yea I would definitely stay away from the free parking areas on a festival weekend. The paid boat launch parking should be alright though. I'll probably go out of DP at some point this weekend.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Festival

Good, no Great to know!! I'm going up some other time but it sounds like there are plenty of new places to fish.
Thanks to everyone on BWE for the great intel.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
SorryCharlie

I plan on launching early morning (around 630), but I will be diving instead of H&L.

Tsugg- FREE parking is hit or miss, but in my limited experience parking at baby beach if your early in the morning your fine (wont be the case if it is festival weekend). Some one will need to correct me if I am wrong, but I recall the parking at baby beach being free...

You can also pay 10 buck and not deal with the hassle of finding parking by parking and launching at the boat ramps (3rd left after turning onto DP Harbor Dr. from PCH). Doheny State park is another option, as the surf launch there is cake 95% of the time.

I park at DP kayak and jet ski, but I store my kayak there so parking is included (FYI, the owner is a cool guy, but has limited parking. Especially with an event like festival he watches his lot like a hawk and will tow... last thing I want is someone getting towed..)

Maybe I will see some of you out there!
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
TroutBum

[QUOTE

I park at DP kayak and jet ski, but I store my kayak there so parking is included (FYI, the owner is a cool guy, but has limited parking. Especially with an event like festival he watches his lot like a hawk and will tow... last thing I want is someone getting towed..)[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost to store your kayak there?

Thanks.
TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
SorryCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post

If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost to store your kayak there?

Thanks.
Storage costs are $400 for the year. A bit steep, but I have difficulty storing the kayak at home so it is worth it to avoid the hassle.

I will mention, depending on the availability of spaces, the owner will limit storage to only people who purchase the kayak there. However, they did just install a large number of new racks so it may be worth a try asking if he has space (there are a few non-hobie kayaks stored their and he only sells hobies, so some definitely got in...).
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
tsugg
LOWSPARK

D p jet ski and kayak

I looked them up and found their monthly "fishing with friends " events sound like fun. Anyone here ever do them or have any personal Intel?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Dave

Hey Dave, is the festival both days?

QUOTE=PapaDave;221638]If this is the 'Festival' weekend, try elsewhere. You w

on't be able to get in or out of the harbor area if your are even let in and you can forget about parking anywhere.

As for the kelp areas, there are many to the north as well as to the south. The north area stretches from 1 to 4 miles depending on where you stop. The south area goes on and on and on, I've gotten as far as 4 miles and there are kelp areas the entire way down. Both areas produce well at times. The pipeline is another area and it lines up with the harbor buoy straight out to the DP Yacht club markers about a mile offshore. It can be good at times as well.

Also, you don't really need a FF, just set a drift to pass a few kelp patches, use a live sardine on a dropper or Carolina rig or a swimbait. Kick back and relax and let the wind do the work.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #13
Zed
BANNED

Yes.
7th-8th
14th-15th
Old 03-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
TroutBum

Sorry Charlie. Thanks for the info!
TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
Vikingj

Fishing with friends is a casual, laid back event open to all experience levels. Newbies have as much chance to win pot ($50-150) as anyone else. Potluck afterwards gives a chance to bs and compare fishing strategies, etc. Free parking and launch for contestants from DP jetski docks on 3-21-15.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Fishing w/ friends

Thanks, thats what I thought from their web site. Any idea as to how many peeps show up for these events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
Fishing with friends is a casual, laid back event open to all experience levels. Newbies have as much chance to win pot ($50-150) as anyone else. Potluck afterwards gives a chance to bs and compare fishing strategies, etc. Free parking and launch for contestants from DP jetski docks on 3-21-15.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
Thanks, thats what I thought from their web site. Any idea as to how many peeps show up for these events?
I participated one month last year and there were about a dozen participants. Winning fish was a calico or sandie. For up to date info go on their forum.

Www.kayakfishingmafia.com
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote