Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Mainline

Tourist visa`s for bahia asuncion

I haven`t driven passed guerro negro in a couple years but I do recall needing a tourist visa if you plan on staying more than 72 hours in Baja. From what I remember it isn`t really enforced until you cross into Baja sur. Does anybody know if this is still required?

Also, are there any members on bwe that have contacts with anyone involved with peskayak? (I believe they have a few kayak tournaments in Baja annually) They might be able to help with up to date road conditions and launch/campsites.

I`m not sure if I can make the asuncion trip this january but I`d like to get in on some of the upcoming Baja trips that are being brought to the table.
Mainline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainline View Post
I haven`t driven passed guerro negro in a couple years but I do recall needing a tourist visa if you plan on staying more than 72 hours in Baja. From what I remember it isn`t really enforced until you cross into Baja sur. Does anybody know if this is still required?

Also, are there any members on bwe that have contacts with anyone involved with peskayak? (I believe they have a few kayak tournaments in Baja annually) They might be able to help with up to date road conditions and launch/campsites.

I`m not sure if I can make the asuncion trip this january but I`d like to get in on some of the upcoming Baja trips that are being brought to the table.
Been many years since I've been that far south but it appears for trips over 72 hours and that far down a Tourist Visa is needed, good for 180 days , approx. $25.00
I'm sure others will know better but this website was some help!

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The bajabound web site has a lot of good info on traveling to Baja. You just need to be ready to go with the flow. For instance, I went to Bahia Gonzaga in May with 10 other yakers. I went down a couple days early and stayed a week, while the rest stayed 3 or 4 days. I crossed at Mexicali and stopped at the immigration office just across the border to get my FMM. The normal process is to get the FMM at the immigration office, walk to a nearby bank and pay the fee, take the receipt back to the office and have the FMM stamped. Well I went to the office and filled out the form and they stamped it and told me to go to the bank and pay for it. When I asked if I should return with my receipt they said no. I looked for a bank but would not find one open so I just carried on. When I left Mexico I turned in the FMM and had no questions asked of me. As far as I know, I was the only one of the 10 yakers on the trip that even got an FMM and I never paid for it. My only advice would be to make your best effort to do the right thing, smile, be friendly, and roll with the punches.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
bigbarrels

If you are going south of Guerrero Negro......get the Tourist Visa because they often check for it at that check point......North of there, don't worry about it because no one ever checks for it........that has been my experience