Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Circle Hook or not?

A recent thread got me thinking. I have no idea when to use a circle hook and when to use a regular one. For that matter, what about a ring hook or a plain one? Then there is the question about hook size. I know that you are supposed to size the hook to the bait but some people go large and some go small.

If anyone cares to pass on some basic hook knowledge, I would sure appreciate the education.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

I'm happy to pass info on. I personally have tried all that you are talking about. When fishing live baits Circle hooks are my choice, I even like the ring ones as you mentioned. I have rarely used larger than 2/0, but mostly use sz 1 or 2. I've never had an issue withe those size of hooks.

For plastics I use regular hooks, but with the drop shot rig I have used a small circle hook also. Just remember with Circle hooks you don't need to swing, let the hook set itself.

You know we're always being told, "this is what you are suppose to do." I've learned that what works well for one may not work for others.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
-scallywag-
Banned

I'm not a big fan of circles, the only time i use them is when using squid targeting seabass. I don't think that circle hooks set well in the bony mouths of YT's.

I generally use ringed gorilla style hooks in larger sizes (1.0 - 2/0) when targeting WSB due to their soft mouths, I try to get the bigger baits (8-12" greenies) to match the hook size but sometimes those guys are hard to find.
For YT i like to use a ringed flyliner or just the standard mustad hook matched to the size bait i'm fishing with. I think the smaller lighter hook lets the candybar greenies swim more naturally and you really don't need to worry about tearing hooks out of a YT.

Basically anytime you wanna C&R using live bait use a circle or targeting toothy critters like sharks where you don't want the line touching their teeth.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Lord Matthew34
Mad Yakker

What about when targeting halibut with live bait? Does their toothy mouths being on the side play a factor with using circle hooks?
Lord Matthew34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

What is a 'Gorilla Style" hook?
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
What is a 'Gorilla Style" hook?

http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/prod...waterhooks.htm
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
-scallywag-
Banned

I am by no means an expert but I would not use circle hooks for butts because their teeth are not really sharp enough to do much damage to flouro leaders, plus butts are nutorious "short biters", they really like to play with their food before swallowing which is why most guys use trap rigs when targeting butts.

Gorilla hooks are just normal J hooks but they use much heavier gauge (thicker) material, the thicker material keeps the hook from tearing a bigger hole after the hook is set, making it less likely that the fish can shake the hook.

Adding rings to any hook is just supposed to give the bait more action.....i can't really think of any drawback other than the price.....
Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
T Bone

Gorilla is a term coined by owner hooks.They are manufactured with a thicker wire than normal.

I personally have come to love circle hooks.They hook a fish in the corner of the mouth and are superior to any j hook which may or may not hook a fish in the corner.

ALL commercial fisherman use them(Long Liners)They are perfect for the type of fishing we do on a kayak.I have landed a wahoo 35# with a circle hook and flouro leader.

Circles are what they use for Huge halibut in alaska but I use trap hook rigs usually.Halibut need to be hooked on that first snatch is my opinion and I like the owner Boa rigs.

Circles are all I use for live bait.Its really cool to just put the reel in gear and just feel the rod load up and knowing you have a good hookset.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

like i said, circle hooks have their place, and targeting wahoo, marlin, threshers, alaskan halibut and such are just the place to use them....when targeting toothless boney mouthed fish like YT and tuna when you might only get one or two strikes all day, i'm puttin my money on the J-hook....I mean how many guys do you see on the sport boats using circle hooks when the YT or tuna bite is on?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
fknricter

i also have become a believer in the circle hooks, my favorite are the owner mutu and super mutu (super is thicker gage) i really like the light wire mutu's and havnt had one straighten on me yet. also a big fan of the ringed hooks too. i got a pup thresher in december and it had a perfect, corner of the mouth, hookset that made for an easy release, and as someone mentioned, its really cool to put the reel in gear and let the fish hook itself!
fknricter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
T Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
like i said, circle hooks have their place, and targeting wahoo, marlin, threshers, alaskan halibut and such are just the place to use them....when targeting toothless boney mouthed fish like YT and tuna when you might only get one or two strikes all day, i'm puttin my money on the J-hook...circle hooks when the YT .I mean how many guys do you see on the sport boats using or tuna bite is on?
I too was very skeptical of circles.After all look at them,how do they work?I dont understand all the physics but they do. If you talk to serious tuna fisherman(longrangers)they are 100% circle hooks.Marlin tourneys use them,they have no teeth and are ALL bone.Give them a try,you will not be dissapointed.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote