Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
dpricenator

Fred Hall LB! What did you get?

I had never been to the Fred Hall Expo, but knew what to expect.....sort of.
Used to do some work at the Action Sports Expo in SD, when I was going to SDSU. I talked my wife into going Sunday afternoon. Being the last day of the show was hoping for some blow out deals, and the show did not disappoint.

200+ stickers, I love me some stickers, and so do my kids. Best to go earlier in the show because a lot of booths were out.
a couple Kicker Jigs
a couple 187 Jigs
Some Ultralight Heavthitters (HookUp Bait Style lures) 5 for $10, really nice colors on them.
A bottle of Ghost Shrimp Butter from NewFishAll.

I was tempted at some rods, but that'll have to wait, as I just grabbed a couple Seekers on Craigslist.

It was really cool to see all the guys I have been emailing, over the last few months. The guys from 187 are right up my alley. Not many people recognize a Ben Davis Shirt, and know the significance.
And Kent from NewFishAll was also very nice to have remembered my little email question from a month back.

I need to start saving my nickels and dimes, because the boat I want is going to be roughly 200k, once delivered.

Anyway, What did you get?

Last edited by dpricenator; 03-12-2018 at 06:33 AM.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
goldenglory18

I'm curious to see what people scored on.

I actually heard the deals were pretty weak this year so it kept me away. I wasn't after any high $$ items, and I'm intentionally thinned out my gear this season, so I didn't have a real need to go. Plus the $18 door feel, plus parking....IMO you gotta have a reason to deal with the hassle of the whole deal.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Mahigeer

I was there many hours helping out at the Cedros Outdoor Adventures booth.

I walked around at times, and got a shirt and a new bait box for hoop net.

I have made many friends there, and for me it is a yearly reunion.

In the past they were more restrictive about bringing food and drinks, but perhaps because I had a vender tag, they did not object.

I will have some pictures later.

Hello fellow Aztec.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
Denis_Ruso

For me it's not really about the deals or scores either especially when you are paying 18$ at the door and 11-15$ per beer. It's about seeing some people/charters you've fished with, booking slightly discounted long range charters, making connections in the industry and really picking the brains of much more seasoned fishermen than myself.

I always walk away having learned something new and that's what it's about. Whether its how to tie a new knot, how to fish a jig, ideas for destination fishing or just seasons and techniques.

But I did walk away with a couple of Kicker Jigs, Bomber Sunglasses and 1$ sabikis.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

I have been working the show for Promar/Ahi for the past couple years so I have my admission covered with an exhibitor badge. The show, for me, is also about seeing old friends and a place to put faces with online names I have not yet met.

Deals/specials were about the same as last year. I really don't need much more gear (shhhh, don't let my wife hear that) but I did get some things I have been wanting:

Glock 19
Couple of Hawaiian shirts for casual days at work
Big ass kill bag in the extremely rare chance I might need it

Oh, and this INCREDIBLE, one of a kind painting from our own Tattuna:

Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
For me it's not really about the deals or scores either especially when you are paying 18$ at the door and 11-15$ per beer. It's about seeing some people/charters you've fished with, booking slightly discounted long range charters, making connections in the industry and really picking the brains of much more seasoned fishermen than myself.

I always walk away having learned something new and that's what it's about. Whether its how to tie a new knot, how to fish a jig, ideas for destination fishing or just seasons and techniques.

But I did walk away with a couple of Kicker Jigs, Bomber Sunglasses and 1$ sabikis.
Let me know what long range trips you've planned. I'm gonna have PTO to burn this year.....
Old 03-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
ProfessorLongArms

Loaded up on old irons from SD Tackle Traders @5 for $20.
They also had some great prices on Owner hooks.
Turner had pretty good prices on a Californian med-heavy spinning rod for 40 bucks.

I bugged the Lowrance guys for a while and weighed upgrading to the new hook2. Really nice interface changes. Told the Avet reps how useless I think their SX is.

Also enjoyed chatting up all of the spearfishing guys.
I find the idea of apnea and hypoxia to be insane, but enjoyed learning from them about the training for free diving.

Beyond that I found it fun to wander around for a couple of hours.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #8
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Loaded up on old irons from SD Tackle Traders @5 for $20.
They also had some great prices on Owner hooks.
Turner had pretty good prices on a Californian med-heavy spinning rod for 40 bucks.

I bugged the Lowrance guys for a while and weighed upgrading to the new hook2. Really nice interface changes. Told the Avet reps how useless I think their SX is.

Also enjoyed chatting up all of the spearfishing guys.
I find the idea of apnea and hypoxia to be insane, but enjoyed learning from them about the training for free diving.

Beyond that I found it fun to wander around for a couple of hours.

Those Californian Rods are nice. I have 2 9 foot deckhand rods for the longer range boat trips. 1 is a 20-40 and the other is a 40-60 or 70. They look great and have handled everything they have caught, so far. Really good feel on the 20-40, when dropping the flat fall or the yoyo.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpricenator View Post
I had never been to the Fred Hall Expo, but knew what to expect.....sort of.
Used to do some work at the Action Sports Expo in SD, when I was going to SDSU. I talked my wife into going Sunday afternoon. Being the last day of the show was hoping for some blow out deals, and the show did not disappoint.

200+ stickers, I love me some stickers, and so do my kids. Best to go earlier in the show because a lot of booths were out.
a couple Kicker Jigs
a couple 187 Jigs
Some Ultralight Heavthitters (HookUp Bait Style lures) 5 for $10, really nice colors on them.
A bottle of Ghost Shrimp Butter from NewFishAll.

I was tempted at some rods, but that'll have to wait, as I just grabbed a couple Seekers on Craigslist.

It was really cool to see all the guys I have been emailing, over the last few months. The guys from 187 are right up my alley. Not many people recognize a Ben Davis Shirt, and know the significance.
And Kent from NewFishAll was also very nice to have remembered my little email question from a month back.

I need to start saving my nickels and dimes, because the boat I want is going to be roughly 200k, once delivered.

Anyway, What did you get?

Learned a lot from a few seminars especially from the bass tourney guys but wish I was there on weekend to hear the Sewer guys. picked up Sibiki's, hookup baits finally and line.

How do you compare the hookup baits (expensive) to the ultralite heavyhitter you scoured on? MIssed that one.

I was looking for light action spinning rods but didn't really see much.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
Mahigeer

1-Mr. Jim Sammons was kind enough to autograph my copy of kayak fishing book.

Would love to fish with him at Cedros Island.

2-I worked the booth at Cedros Outdoor Adventures during the show.

The grand master of reel repair, Sensei Alan Tani stopped by the booth to see us and make a video recording of Jose (the owner) about the package trips that they offer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6VJH_rs0yE

I am going this summer on one. Not sure when yet.

I bought a shirt and a new version of a lobster bait box.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Learned a lot from a few seminars especially from the bass tourney guys but wish I was there on weekend to hear the Sewer guys. picked up Sibiki's, hookup baits finally and line.

How do you compare the hookup baits (expensive) to the ultralite heavyhitter you scoured on? MIssed that one.

I was looking for light action spinning rods but didn't really see much.
I have not tried them yet, but the plastic seems a bit thicker, tougher. And I mean just a bit, not much of a change. If I handed you one or the other you would be hard pressed to tell me which was which. He also has a version with the tail end cut into ribbons like grass skirt. The only this is that the weight caps out at 5/8 oz. The larger sizes are better for us when we are out deep, but in the harbors these will be fine. I would say they will be right on par with the HookUp Bait, as far as build quality go.

Kind of like the differences between a Tady Jig and a Salas, or Kicker, or 187, or, or, or.....
Old 03-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

unless I missed it, no mention at all in this thread of kayaks or kayak fishing accessories. Think we made the right call in not setting up at Fred Hall this year.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
unless I missed it, no mention at all in this thread of kayaks or kayak fishing accessories. Think we made the right call in not setting up at Fred Hall this year.
Only Kayaks I saw there were at the Hobie both. For what it is worth.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
Hunters Pa

Quote:
One of the things I like to look at is general level of spending, perhaps as an indicator of consumer confidence and the economy. Spending seemed to be down a bit over last year. Show specials were very similar to last year.

No political commentary implied or intended.

I think it was a good call, especially if you got a good turnout at your sales the week before. Maybe a coupon/ad in the CCA book would generate some outside traffic to the shops? I think Pacific Edge took that approach.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #15
goldenglory18

Quote:
As soon as my Ride sells you'll be getting a call....
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #16
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
There was a *bit*. Hobie had an outdoor setup but it was raining outside.
There were two kayak dealers with hobie displays inside, and Brooklyn Kayaks were there.
Was interesting to see one up close.
I'm still kind of curious how they stack up against more expensive brands.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Let me know what long range trips you've planned. I'm gonna have PTO to burn this year.....
Didn't book any this year. But I do need to commit to a couple early before all the good dates get booked up. I'd probably be up for booking something August-October.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote