Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Fishermens feet

Being diabetic with no feeling in my feet, footwear is EXTREAMLY important. Taking MONTHS for a sore to heal is just a fact of life for diabetics. Wearing footware with infected open sore on the foot is tough and makes healing SLOWER.

Having tried many Diabetic shoes and others too, I started wearing the FIN 1 shoe from SOFT SCIENCE about 2 months ago and my wound has been healing faster. These shoes are slightly oversize in width so the foot has room to spread out. The Fin's are made to be fished and get wet, they drip dry very fast with holes in the soles and an open weave in the tops. Good when fishing but all that air circulation also helps wounds to heal faster when dry. Yep I wear them most days fishing or not. They are comfortable, light weight, soft and have removable inserts too.

I am not associated with these people and I cannot get you or me a discount. I had forgoten that Buddha had given me a discount code when he told us about these shoes. For me they have been great.
in my opinion they are AWESOME and have been a foot SAVER for me. And yes they are pricy but still under $100, BTW my NEW FIN 2's just arrived. They will be headed to Baja with me in a couple of days, Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 03-08-2017 at 09:37 AM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Good info Bob, glad you found some ergo footwear that can help you get on the water!

On a related note, i too have discovered my ideal footwear for kayak fishing. My new kit is my stockingfoot waters with an oversized pair of crocs. Got some cheap size 13 crocs on amazon, and they slip right over the stockings. In my experience, the first thing to go on waders for us is the stocking seams. Wearing the crocs over waders for parking and rigging the yak, then I stash them in the hull once I'm on the water.

Last edited by chris138; 03-07-2017 at 02:30 PM.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
defjack

Good news Bob I tried crocks in gonza and the beach rocks stay in them.
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjack View Post
Good news Bob I tried crocks in gonza and the beach rocks stay in them.
I have had no rocks in these and have used them at Gonzaga for 4 trips going on the quad and fishing the beach. So far they are really doing what I need done.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
tacmik

I'm just glad that you found shoes that work for your feet.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
buddha

I told Makobob about the SoftScience shoes a few months ago. I said that he can share this code with any of his friends and family but he may have forgot. If you use the code: CaptainLowe you can get 10% off and an additional free shipping on any orders 49.99 and over.

www.softscience.com

Last edited by buddha; 03-08-2017 at 04:06 AM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Where can you get those?!?!

Also, while I'm not a doctor, it has been my experience that ocean water will heal most wounds a lot faster than normal and clears out infections quickly.

Bob, have you tried just taking you shoes off when in the kayak? Might give it a little more boost of healing.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
goldenglory18

How many of you guys wear waders while on our boats? I've always thought of it as a drowning risk (turtle, water gets in waders, creates extra weight to make PFD ineffective.)

I've always just worn water friendly flip flops to unload/prep, and then taken them off once I launch. Just don't forget the sunblock.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post

Also, while I'm not a doctor, it has been my experience that ocean water will heal most wounds a lot faster than normal and clears out infections quickly.

Bob, have you tried just taking you shoes off when in the kayak? Might give it a little more boost of healing.
I agree 125% with ocean water healing wounds, HOWEVER the same doctors who want that foot emphatically say NO WATER CONTACT. That did not work for 4 months so it is time to do it our way. Baja salt water, lot's of air, SoftScience shoes and continue to treat and heal the foot. Tight Lines. And I did forget Buddha's discount.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post

You can buy them online. If you use the code: CaptainLowe you can get 10% off and an additional free shipping on any orders 49.99 and over.

www.softscience.com I like the new Fin 2.0, Terrafin, and the Fin Boot which are all new for 2017.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
Baja_Traveler

I like the looks of that Fin Boot - wish they made it in the light gray though.

I've been wearing a pair of Speery water shoes I got from West Marine on sale. Look exactly like regular nylon tennis shoes, but there are two problems with them in a kayak - first is they are dark blue and feet sitting in the hot sun makes them a scorcher. Second is the low tops - so sun beats down on my ankles (wearing long quick dry pants) and I end up sunburned there unless I also wear nylon socks.

The boot solves the sunburn problem, but not the heat problem being only available in dark colors...

The Nike shoes come from the NikeiD custom shop. If you have $175 to $250 to spend, you can design pretty much anything and they'll make it.

Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 03-08-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post

I've been wearing a pair of Speery water shoes I got from West Marine on sale. Look exactly like regular nylon tennis shoes, but there are two problems with them in a kayak - first is they are dark blue and feet sitting in the hot sun makes them a scorcher. Second is the low tops - so sun beats down on my ankles (wearing long quick dry pants) and I end up sunburned there unless I also wear nylon socks.

The boot solves the sunburn problem, but not the heat problem being only available in dark colors...
KAI, just bleach them then wear them in the Baja sun for a while, between the sun and bleach they will lighten up.............

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post

The Nike shoes come from the NikeiD custom shop. If you have $175 to $250 to spend, you can design pretty much anything and they'll make it.
check out the Terrafin. I have a pair and they are very light excellent for shore fishing, fly fishing, boat, and kayak fishing. I have the sage green and don't find them too hot at all. Use the code: CaptainLowe and get 10% off and free shipping.

http://www.softscience.com/mens/fishing/terrafin.html

Last edited by buddha; 03-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
buddha

The new 2018 Softscience shoe line has arrived. I bought the Fin 3.0 and it will be an excellent shoe on and off the water. It is extremely light, super comfortable, drains well, and no rocks get in when walking on the sand.

If you use the code: CaptainLowe you will get 10% off on all orders over 49.99 and free shipping.

http://www.softscience.com/mens.html

http://www.softscience.com/womens.html
Old 03-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

A whole year later I still wear nothing but Soft Science foot wear. I love the Fin 2.0
and will order the 3.0 when I get my prostetic next month. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #17
aznative96
Newbie to plastic boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
How many of you guys wear waders while on our boats? I've always thought of it as a drowning risk (turtle, water gets in waders, creates extra weight to make PFD ineffective.)

I've always just worn water friendly flip flops to unload/prep, and then taken them off once I launch. Just don't forget the sunblock.....
Does the water that may get into the waders weigh more that the water you'd be swimming in?
Not to be a wiseguy because I have wondered about this as well but if you were to fall in and get water in the waders it shouldn't be water in the waters weighing you down but would probably make it more difficult to swim.
aznative96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznative96 View Post
Does the water that may get into the waders weigh more that the water you'd be swimming in?
Not to be a wiseguy because I have wondered about this as well but if you were to fall in and get water in the waders it shouldn't be water in the waters weighing you down but would probably make it more difficult to swim.
Water weights the same in or out of your waders. But the waders themselves do have weight to them.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN