Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
Baja_Traveler

Well, at the job I'm currently on they will expect me to be taking off from Christmas to New Years again (if I'm still there, and I should be). If it happens then, I'm in - With a Solo Skiff on the roof!!
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Well, at the job I'm currently on they will expect me to be taking off from Christmas to New Years again (if I'm still there, and I should be). If it happens then, I'm in - With a Solo Skiff on the roof!!
OK Kai, I ordered MINE this morning, looks like at least two solo's going. So it is gonna be wet in the afternoon's as the wind always comes up. I think there is room for the sleeping bag, cooking gear and maybe a camp chair for overnight trips. Let the good times roll. NEW DREAMS coming.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

UPDATED

BUCKET LIST TRIP, I will be going on 70 for this one so I will consider this my last big trip, last chance effort to reach Mag Bay. Light tackle and Flyfishing, I will target Bass, Grouper, Halibut, Snook, Pargo and more Bass. There are also corvina, yellowtail, wahoo, and others in the area. For me I expect it to be a trip if a lifetime. Baja_Traveler and I be bringing our Solo Skiffs for added security and safety.
I hope YOU will have a chance to join us on this treck thru Baja. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
CON KSO

Hi Mako Bob,

Sent you a p.m. regarding your solo skiff. To be on topic: I'll be down that way Christmas of 2017/New Year of 2017.

I've fly fished a beach south of there and caught small snook out of the rocks using clousers- super fun.

I will watch this thread and if we can meet up- it'd be great to fish with you and your group. I may have contacts for pangeros who understand fly fishermen and where to take them.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
brew
I Exercise Fish

Bob,

Yes, we did go and it was great. We took 12 days and made a stop in Asuncion and fished for a day on the way down and back just to break up the drive.

Great calico fishing in Asunción as you already know... but you want to hear about Mag Bay!
The first day we barely made it to our beach spot before dark. I will give you all of the location details before you guys go (If I'm not with you). It's about 7 miles of dirt road north of Lopez Matteo's (no 4wd needed).
The first day we fished straight out from camp and caught some small spotties, small corvina, and a couple of small broomtail groupers. Fun day and great conditions!

The second day we went further north and added halibut, pompano, and some sort of Jack species. Also some nice broomtail grouper for light gear (8-10lbers). Also, the corvina were nicer as well... maybe 20"ers.

The third day we fished south and found a deep (30'?) hole with current pouring in from the boca. We fished here with nonstop fish every cast action for almost two hours. Corvina, pompano, and jacks were very aggressive and were literally fighting each other to get to our lures. This was a spot none of us will ever forget. Top water, poppers, crocs, kastmasters, Lc's, everything was working! After that we drifted along some channels along the mangrove islands and found some mangrove jacks, and several very large corvina (one measured at 28"). Also saw something huge come out and take a swipe at a hooked pompano (I'll bring some bigger lures next time!)

This was our best day of fishing, but we were beat from a averaging almost 20mi/day. Didn't even feel it with the fishing being so good, but standing up straight after all day was rough. Two revos and one guy in a paddle kayak. My legs felt fine actually as it was an easy pace with lots of time stopped fishing, but sitting for all day got me a bit. I used to think the couple of guys that yaked to Catalina from Long Beach were crazy, but now i am thinking about doing it sometime.

Tons of great/cheap meals, met some cool people, and had a great time overall. I subscribe to the "bs without pics" philosophy, so I will be writing up a more complete report with pics of fish, meals, some great sunsets, our beach camp, etc.

Last edited by brew; 03-28-2017 at 07:22 PM.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

I am REALLY looking forward that report and pictures!

I'm thinking that this summer I will have to concentrate on accumulating new fishing gear in addition to my fly outfits for this trip.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
I am REALLY looking forward that report and pictures!

I'm thinking that this summer I will have to concentrate on accumulating new fishing gear in addition to my fly outfits for this trip.
YEP, pictures and locations fished would be AWESOME. Camping spots too. Need to catch a snook again, last one was in Panama in the 70's. This trip will be open to others who feel the need. Dates not set yet but will be Christmas, New Years time.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN