Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
'Cuda

Baja 1...Nov. 10

People always ask me "aren't you afraid of all the violence in Baja when you go?" I say no....it's the highway down that scares the shit out of me.
Well it bit me this time.....I was forced off the road on a downhill curve and went off a 300 ft. ravine....I blacked out upon the first impact and then my seat belt failed and I was ejected out the window unconscious....my car rolled another 200ft stopping on the drivers side door up against some mesquite bushes.....I was still blacked out but I could feel the rocks beneath me as I tried to push off....then the light came and I stood up...wiped a little blood off my forehead and and looked down the slope at 2 weeks of fishing and camping gear plus kayak scattered helter skelter....I made my way up to the highway on all fours (that steep) and flagged down a car who called for help. This was about 30 min. south of Santo Tomas....the ambulance took me to a clinic in Manadero and even tho' I had multiple cuts and contusions and I thought for sure broken ribs, examinations and xrays revealed there were no broken bones or internal bleeding...WOW....dead man walking.........what can you say after that....I'm still too dazed by it all to know much.
For all you people on the fence about health care reform....the ambulance ride plus the clinic visit with an xray with some real good drugs shot in my ass plus the 7 day prescription pain pills cost $30.00....that would be 6-8 thou here...we people are being ripped off at every level...time for a change.
I'll be off the site for a while.....good fishing to everyone.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
FISHIONADO

Sorry to hear that, glad you survived. Were you forced off the road intentionally? Any advice for travelers?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
kurt

Glad you survived. Hope everything heals up right and you didn't lose too much gear.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Damn James!!!! Glad you are alive!!! If you need to borrow a kayak let me know!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
bellcon

WOW
Glad your able to talk about it
and I hope you heal up fast
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
bigbarrels

That is a nasty stretch south of Santo Tomas.....sorry to hear about your accident and injuries and I wish you a speedy recovery......let me guess....somebody trying to pass another vehicle on an uphill slope and a turn.....perhaps an 18 wheeler
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 AM   #7
'Cuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Sorry to hear that, glad you survived. Were you forced off the road intentionally? Any advice for travelers?
It was not intentional.....I believe it was a courier whose job is to transport whatever from A to B as quickly as possible.....he was going too fast and had to cut the curve to make it.....I was pushing it also as I usually do when I have 14 hrs. of driving......I will certainly go a lot slower thru the mountainous areas and maybe not overload my car.....I was packed to the hilt.
I also can't say enough about how helpful the people were....the pair of local police who first arrived made multiple trips down to the car to retrieve important items ($500. cash in an envelope) and even hid a case of Tecate's in the bushes that had been thrown out the window so the federals wouldn't find them.
Thanks for the offer, Chris, but I believe I'll take a break 'till next June. Besides Pt. Dume was one of my favorite winter spots and I hear that's off limits now?
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
vito
Junior

Glad you are ok, I have seen to many people die on that same area.
you are one lucky man!!

vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
TCS

I've had a few close calls myself, but not that close. I'm glad you made it through and am not at all surprised at how helpful the people were. Good luck on your recovery.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
j mo

Thats one way to get religion

Whoa! No kidding, my friend and i just last night were hatching a plan to take back some power and head down in May- I think we may reconsider?!

On that same pass with the same friend mentioned above, we were spared a similar fate as we watched an oncoming semi lose a tire. It was headed straight for us and we had less tha 1' to spare from heading down to the valley below, when at the last second it swerved and went up the embankment around us doing about 40mph. It all happened in slow motion as Im sure your accident did. Glad to hear you made it out.

My father was once not allowed entrance across the border into Baja because his hair was too long- can you imagine?! It’s a unfortunate that Baja has become so dangerous; I wonder if it always was though, and I just had a different appetite for risk then?

My friend Walt was held up point blank and robbed of everything with his caravan about 2 years ago just outside of TJ as he was making his way to the TC Highway. He was certain he was going to be shot in the back of the head as he was marched off the road.

I hear stories like yours and Walts and think of my own two children – I’ll take my chances w the Bears in the Sierra backcountry over the Cartels and bombed out truck drivers of Baja, at least for now....

Take care and Ill miss your posts of Baja as they always brought back fond memories.>>

Best,

Josh
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
Matt
Support your local pangas

Hey James,
I am really glad that you are alive and doing OK!! I will gladly loan you a kayak if you need one also and Pt. Dume is not closed yet, the law has not officially passed yet (if I am wrong please someone correct me) but take advantage of Pt. Dume while you can and heal fast my man!

Matt
Old 11-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
MalibuJohnny

Bummer

About 6 years ago, on our way to Punta De San Quintin on that same stretch of road near the bottom of the grade we came across an old Chevy Impala on its roof we pulled over to see what we could do, but there was no one there. Only a crazy pool of blood and a dead cow! Apparently this car hit the cow and flipped! It was really scary, to see this on the highway!
fficeffice" />>>
Crazy drivers! And lazy beef on the street!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

what a nightmare... that road has claimed more than a few souls... you are one lucky guy... you should be dead you know... I'm glad you're safe. That is one crazy story you have now... makes me think twice about speeding and driving alone down there... don't do it!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
eddier68

Damn!!! Glad your ok!!! I've drivin that stretch many times. HATE that part!!!!!!!!
eddier68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuJohnny View Post

About 6 years ago, on our way to Punta De San Quintin on that same stretch of road near the bottom of the grade we came across an old Chevy Impala on its roof we pulled over to see what we could do, but there was no one there. Only a crazy pool of blood and a dead cow! Apparently this car hit the cow and flipped! It was really scary, to see this on the highway!
fficeffice" />>>
Crazy drivers! And lazy beef on the street!

We just got back from San Quintin....that stretch of road scared the crap out of me...
WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
mwm

Cuda, glad you're relatively unscathed. have been driving to Baja for 30+ and driving is still the biggest risk in my view. Saw a buddy fishtail on the road in my rearview this summer - no accident but it was close! Luckily the road has gotten better over the years, but always best to caravan and IMHO never drive at night. A pain -absolutely- but the fishing /surfing reward is worth the effort.
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
tattuna

Glad to hear you made it out alive! Really cool to hear you didn't have to pay the high costs of medical bills too. I've always found the people of Baja to be nothing but helpful. The fact that the cops hid the beer is way cool too!

Driving is definitely the scariest part down there. I just drove that road today and was stuck behind a big rig for the whole stretch which was fine with me. Watching others trying to pass on those curves made me pucker though. I really don't understand why everyone's in such a rush.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #18
lamb

whoa James - glad all ended well, and you get to tell about it.

One thing I've seen down in Mex: vast majority of people are more than willing to help out, especially in ugly situations. They will even be offended when you pull out lil' $$ to give them as a little sign of appreciation; they may not have much, but $$ is not a reason they jumped to help you out.

Yes they will line up behind you on the beach while you're waiting out sets to launch in a bigger swell... hooting and hollering encouraging you to go for it, when it's obviously not the right moment ... But the same guys will run to get you out of the surf if you roll on your way in, they won't think twice if they see you need help...
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
habanero

Glad to hear you didn't suffer any lasting injury. You are not exaggerating what it would cost here. A rule of thumb when try to estimate medical cost in the U.S. is: Guess as high as you can imagine, then double it. I guessed $10k to $12k per day. The final bill, had I not been insured was $100,000! Some is wrong here
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
aguachico

James;

I'm glad to hear you are OK. Mex1 has its built in hazards due to the narrowness of the road and mountainous terrain. Get it together and safari another day. Salud.

Art
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote