Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #221
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Looks killer👌🏻
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #222
FISH11

Those plates look awesome and I'm sure super delicious.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #223
NICKWORN

Latest on Solo skiff delays

Here is the latest from the creator himself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C7F045DD-84CC-43D0-A3A5-6ECA3894EC19.jpg (57.2 KB, 220 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:03 AM   #224
NICKWORN

Cold Bugs!!

Battled the cold Friday night and was rewarded with Quality Bugs(3ea, pic keeps failing) not the best quantity but hey it’s Jan, I’ll take these 2lb buggies all day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F431B5F2-3E24-4051-86BC-D9B711CB0EB3.jpg (92.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg C1981E3A-14FB-43BD-9950-A10955634F43.jpg (95.7 KB, 178 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #225
AlwaysFishing

Mark I appreciates if you could post a video of how you've made the ramp and a demo of it in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I never drag any of my kayaks or the Solo Skiff across that concrete ramp with those diagonal groves and rough textures, it's like running your palm on a cheese grader. On ramps offloading is not a problem bow will float and I can ease the rear down into the water while sliding it down, for loading I use the same 2 piece ABS pipe ramp, I use at the Shores beach launch. It is actually easier at the beach because there is no boat wakes to deal with when aligning the Solo Skiff with the two ABS pipes. Then I use a strap hand crank winch to pull it up the ramp and into the truck bed. Here's a picture from a video clip taken on Thursday the 8th. Took out my dog to get her more used to the open water in the Solo Skiff. If she continues to like going out I will take her out sometimes to La Jolla when the surf forecast says it's going to be a lake.
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #226
FISH11

I will, sorry for the delay. I was going to go today and do that but this crazy weather made me change plans. Were I live we've had those 40-60mph winds for multiple days, hail, snow Tuesday and strong winds and rain yesterday. Tomorrow looked like another window and now it's rain part of the day in SD. This weekend and next week looks like rain and snow at home. Next change in weather I'll film some of unloading and loading using the ramp I made with ABS drain pipe and the removable hand winch set up. I'm hatting having to stay at home and not be out at LJ.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #227
AlwaysFishing

Thanks in advance Mark. I will be picking up a used Solo next week! Can't wait to get it all together and get it in the water. It's going to be a learning curve coming from an OldTown Topwater 120 PDL but I think it will be a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I will, sorry for the delay. I was going to go today and do that but this crazy weather made me change plans. Were I live we've had those 40-60mph winds for multiple days, hail, snow Tuesday and strong winds and rain yesterday. Tomorrow looked like another window and now it's rain part of the day in SD. This weekend and next week looks like rain and snow at home. Next change in weather I'll film some of unloading and loading using the ramp I made with ABS drain pipe and the removable hand winch set up. I'm hatting having to stay at home and not be out at LJ.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #228
ctfphoto

Mark while you are at it please show the wench set up as well.

And video all the accessories you have put on your solo.

I want to deck mine out when I get it and use your ramp method.

Hoping for February delivery.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #229
FISH11

Tomorrow I'll see if the weather holds off a little, I'll try to film some of it at home although it won't be like when loading at the beach. At least I can show the winch set up and how I put it on the top edge of the truck bed and what the ramp looks like. If you are setting up the Solo make sure the you install some H rail or other grab bar on the right side gunnel for holding on. At the speed the Solo can move, it is real important to be able to stay on the Solo when it changes direction or to keep balance when hitting chop. It doesn't have to be the long one, unless you prefer using that as a mounting platform for rod holders. Personally I'm not fond of the Hobie H rail rod holders (mostly due to the cost of each holder and each base). I installed two 9" H rails that I bought new on EBay for like $23 each with free shipping and purchased longer stainless steel bolts for through mounting on the gunnel at Ace hardware. It works awesome for holding on. One I put on the right for holding on and the other is on the front of the hatch base. The left gunnel has my paddle mounted so it would have been in the way and on the front of the hatch base it still works for holding on and protects the live well switch from accidently getting turned off. I personally didn't want the long H rails because I wanted the gunnels to be clean and unobstructed on the front part of the cabin deck, for landing fish and ease in getting in or out of the Solo Skiff.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #230
FISH11

SOLO SKIFF My Designed unloading and loading system.

FINALLY! After a few months since I told some people I know that I would film how I use the system I designed to unload and load my Solo Skiff, I did that today. I had to film it at home since conditions have kept me from being able to launch at La Jolla and film the process. It was a little harder at home because my driveway has this stupid slant that the construction company that built the house and poured the driveway thought that it needed much more slope than I think should have been needed, even with the extra rain and snow we get up in the mountains. I do believe that I covered most of what was important and if there is any additional information or more specific question, just post what those concerns are. I did forget to mention that all the Scotty bases and all the eyelets and hooks are installed using tri-fold aluminum 3/16" pop rivets. Those work great and I have always used them on my kayaks also. They allow you to mount things were there might not be a way to use pass through stainless steel bolts. The short Hobie H Rails and the swivel seat base are mounted with 1/4" through stainless steel bolts, large washers and nylock nuts. The Yakattack Mighty Mount XL gear track bases are of different lengths and all come with stainless steel screws that just screw into the polypropylene hull of the Solo Skiff. The triple rod holders on the rear are Blacktip triple nylon rod holders and I made a bracket that supports the upper section and are mounted to the Yakattack Mighty Mount XL bases using stainless steel carriage bolts that I ground two sides of the head slightly so they would slide in the gear tracks and also not rotate. They are easily removable by just loosening the nylock nuts and sliding the bolts out of the tracks, if I decide I don't want them on. The use of the ramp system is alot easier on the sand. Using it on boat ramps is also easy when you don't have to deal with boat wakes, no different then when using a boat trailer. Hope this helps all you guys that have one or are waiting for a Solo Skiff' Tight Lines.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #231
ctfphoto

Mark, thank you very much for the very informative video.

I can hardly wait until this spring when I can fish alongside of you and Mikey
Old 01-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #232
AlwaysFishing

Mark thank you for taking the time to do the video. Lots of useful information in the video. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #233
SoCalEDC

Mark, I like that winch system for loading. Looked like it took all of the hassle out of loading.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #234
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Mark, thank you very much for the very informative video.

I can hardly wait until this spring when I can fish alongside of you and Mikey
You're welcome Chris, sorry it took so long, I know you were one of the guys that asked some months ago. I did know you are still on the waiting list. I know how that sucks, had to wait several months myself. You'll be so glad when you get it. Did you get your engine yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Mark thank you for taking the time to do the video. Lots of useful information in the video. Thank you.
Glad to do it. It should help in planning how you want things laid out on the Solo Skiff. Everyone like things different but it always helps to see thing visually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Mark, I like that winch system for loading. Looked like it took all of the hassle out of loading.
Yes, it actually is easier than when I had my Hobie Revo 13 and had to put it on top of the truck rack. It takes less time and no heavy lifting and also easier to rig up early in the dark having it on the bed. Damn it just started snowing at my house. Tight Lines
Old 01-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #235
tak100
Recruit

Mark,

Thanks for sharing.

Question, in the video you said you remove the bungees and presumably slide the ramp off one side or the other. Is that easy to do without help?

Have you tried transporting with the ramp in place?

Your solution is much simpler than I was picturing and simple is usually better. I am a big believer in the K.I.S.S. method.

Thanks again. I am sure I will steal some of your good ideas!

Hope to see you out at La Jolla when the weather gets better.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #236
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Mark,

Thanks for sharing.

Question, in the video you said you remove the bungees and presumably slide the ramp off one side or the other. Is that easy to do without help?

Have you tried transporting with the ramp in place?

Your solution is much simpler than I was picturing and simple is usually better. I am a big believer in the K.I.S.S. method.

Thanks again. I am sure I will steal some of your good ideas!

Hope to see you out at La Jolla when the weather gets better.
The 1/4" bungees on the elbow part of the drain pipes are secured on the downhill side by them going through a hole and then just a knot on the inside off the pipe, the other end I tied then so there's a loop for easy grabbing. On the down side of the elbow end I drilled a 1/4" hole and then used a hack saw to cut a narrower channel to the hole. That's what I refered to as a key hole shape. The cut allows the bungee to be pulled into the hole and the knot that makes the loop end therefore catches on the hole, keeping that end in place. That is just to keep the pipes from moving around. On my driveway because of the slope and it being concrete, when I put the Solo Skiff against the pipes at first they wanted to move, but the bungees kept the from sliding more. When it's on the sand the pipes dig into the sand and don't move from the original position. I never tried or felt a need to leave them in place, because just a pull on the bungee loop end and they are released from the bed extender. Together both pipes including the wood inside only weigh maybe 18-20 lbs. I carry then on the deck of the Solo Skiff when on the truck or cart. When I park the truck I put then inside the rear seat area of my truck along with my T-Bone.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:01 PM   #237
ctfphoto

Mark, I have not got my engine yet.

Which engine do you recommend (6 hp) and where to buy it?

Thanks again for the info bro.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #238
FISH11

Hey Chris, Nick and I got ours from www.onlineoutboards.com , they have all the brands but the best and most used is the Tohatsu 6hp short shaft MFS 6DS. If you buy the model with a built in gas tank, then you only have .3 gallon of gas and it cost a lot more to then buy the external tank and hose. So I recommend like Nick and I got the one with the external 3.1gl tank. I believe it is $64 more but to buy the tank for the built in model would cost something like $130-$140 more. The web site even has a button on their menu for Solo Skiff. When we bought them it included free shipping. You can even buy it on their site using Affirm and make payment to them if you don't have the money up front. It was $1472.99 + tax and free shipping. When you get it all you have to do is put engine oil in it, 1/2 quart. It will tell you in the manual. Here is the link to the page for those motors and the first one is it. https://onlineoutboards.com/collecti...for-solo-skiff

Last edited by FISH11; 01-23-2021 at 07:05 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #239
NICKWORN

Bugging out with a bonus bycatch

Went out last week for some ME Time, father of two very young boys is tough with all these closures. Ended up with 3 nice bugs again, and a 25” Butt. Picture of bugs was a short video, won’t post nothing to brag about, but 1/4” or so over legal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D933D2C-59B6-4B57-A30D-A44FB50F44BD.jpg (53.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 511D6BE0-4A36-4B93-9B4B-DE08371A8BE1.jpg (43.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #240
Harry Hill

Did you catch that butt while hooping?