Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
carbonbass

transporting a kayak on a trailer?

I'm thinking about getting a new car and don't want to have to put a roof rack on it (more of a compact or sportier car) are the single kayak trailers pretty easy to use? Due to its light weight could potentially any car tow a kayak on a trailer? I guess my other alternative is to buy a junkyard truck just for transporting a kayak on the side of having the other car. Any info helps,
Justin
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
tacmik

Unless you are buying a Yugo or a smart car, most any car with any kind of power should be able to tow a light trailer with a yak on it.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
tagyak

i have a prius and tow my kayak using a sportsrig trailer. the trailer is able to transport two kayaks and it doubles as my rack when i store the kayak in my garage.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
amsurferoceanbeach

yak trailer

I just seen on Craigslist a Yakima Rock&Roll for a grand. Good price.
I would of been all over this but just ordered a new one.

Hey tagyak, I just bought a Prius and plan to tow my Yakima Rock&Roll.
From what I have read this works well. Do you have any photos of
your hitch on you Prius, and photos of it hooked up with the kayaks on.
Did you use a kurt hitch or did you find another that worked?
Any information or recommendation you could make would be helpfull.
Thanks Paul

Last edited by amsurferoceanbeach; 02-21-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling
amsurferoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
blitzburgh

I have the Malone MicroSport XT. My Prius has been towing it regularly since last June with ease...and I still get 50 MPG's round trip from Cucamonga to La Jolla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130220_160426.jpg (65.3 KB, 261 views)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
I have the Malone MicroSport XT. My Prius has been towing it regularly since last June with ease...and I still get 50 MPG's round trip from Cucamonga to La Jolla
I need to get me a used Prius. I get 13 mpg in my Tacoma and driving 80-100 miles per day for work is killing me. Than add on fishing trips and such and yea... I burn threw so much gas its not even funny.

Just crunched the numbers and the savings in gas wouldn't be enough to even buy a used Prius would still cost me more per month than just paying for all the gas. Oh well was a good thought

Last edited by danjor; 02-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
amsurferoceanbeach

extension

Hey blitzburgh
How long is you extension on you trailer tongue?
amsurferoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsurferoceanbeach View Post
Hey blitzburgh
How long is you extension on you trailer tongue?
The extension is 8'. It is retractable on the model I have which is really nice. When pushed in, I stand it up against the back of the garage and easily fit my car in front of it.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Emeraldbaykayaks
Junior

Trailex makes great all aluminum trailers. Most trailers you should be fine pulling them with a car.

Emeraldbaykayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
sasha

How about parking??? are there any problems to find parking space. Been to some places where there is only parking for one car...I don't want to ruin the paint on my car or anything else with the salt water..
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
How about parking??? are there any problems to find parking space. Been to some places where there is only parking for one car...I don't want to ruin the paint on my car or anything else with the salt water..
Good question.... I'd love to have a trailer to save my body from the effort of loading my Stealth 14 onto my truck. The reason that I don't is because I like fishing LJ and parking can get rough in the summer. Even here in Carlsbad parking along the beach is a beech.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Good question.... I'd love to have a trailer to save my body from the effort of loading my Stealth 14 onto my truck. The reason that I don't is because I like fishing LJ and parking can get rough in the summer. Even here in Carlsbad parking along the beach is a beech.
Doesnt the yakima rocknroll conveniently fold up? You could probably un hitch a trailer and use a full parking spot for your trailer alongside your vehicle (maybe bike lock it to a pole or tree nearby). I know people would probably get mad but unless it folded up like the yakima rock n roll it may be your only choice.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
you can get a nice used trailer and convert it for about $400 or so which 1/4 the price of a new one...a trailer hitch is about $150
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsurferoceanbeach View Post
I just seen on Craigslist a Yakima Rock&Roll for a grand. Good price.
I would of been all over this but just ordered a new one.

Hey tagyak, I just bought a Prius and plan to tow my Yakima Rock&Roll.
From what I have read this works well. Do you have any photos of
your hitch on you Prius, and photos of it hooked up with the kayaks on.
Did you use a kurt hitch or did you find another that worked?
Any information or recommendation you could make would be helpfull.
Thanks Paul
i got my hitch online thru www.hitchanything.com this was the model that i got: http://www.hitchanything.com/2005-To...tch-24808.html along with the trailer wiring harness.
unfortunately i don't have any pictures of the kayaks sitting ontop of the trailer. at the time roby and i were commuting to la jolla and we were in a hurry to fish rather than take any pictures.
i set up the rack with the yakima mako racks along with the hulley rollers, one setup for each kayak. it was a little tight but it worked well.
if i find some pictures i'll post it up.
my trailer has the extension along with the standard length hitch so it is able to accommodate the kayaks.

tim

Last edited by tagyak; 02-22-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Raskal311

I know its personal taste but a sports car with a roof rack looks a lot sportier then a sports car with a trailer hitch. Sports car with roof rack is acutally a new trend right now. But I guess it really depends on what you are planning on buying. And I don’t know about where you fish but having to deal with parking a car with a trailer around here would be a PITA.

Last edited by Raskal311; 02-22-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
Jim Sammons LJKF

I have had the Malone trailer for over a year and really like it. I have it set up to carry three kayaks, two on edge and one flat, it could easily carry four kayaks on edge. I found it to be much beefier than the RacknRoll trailer. I got the extra storage box, not sure that is needed since I have a truck and the sliding tongue which is great.
This thing has been a real back saver for me, no more lifting my kayaks up on top of my truck rack. Very often in parking lots, I just unhitch and put it in the space next to my truck and use a long cable lock and lock it to my truck. LJ is not normally an issue for me as I get there early enough that parking is not an issue. I would avoid pulling the trailer on the beach when the sand it thick unless you have a 4x4, it does plow through the soft sand rather than float on it and will get you stuck. Been there done that when my truck was not in four wheel drive.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
I know its personal taste but a sports car with a roof rack looks a lot sportier then a sports car with a trailer hitch. Sports car with roof rack is acutally a new trend right now. But I guess it really depends on what you are planning on buying. And I don’t know about where you fish but having to deal with parking a car with a trailer around here would be a PITA.
Not a new trend. People have been doing it for decades. What Jim said is spot on as to why I got my trailer. Additionally, it prevents a few extra scratches in the paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
This thing has been a real back saver for me, no more lifting my kayaks up on top of my truck rack. Very often in parking lots, I just unhitch and put it in the space next to my truck and use a long cable lock and lock it to my truck. LJ is not normally an issue for me as I get there early enough that parking is not an issue.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
tagyak

Quote:
i do agree that it does look "cooler" with the racks, but in my old age, i would rather have the luxury of just lifting the kayak to my waist rather than above my head to load and unload. some things are worth sacrificing to look cool, but after loading and unloading kayaks that are extra heavy after a long day on water, well you know.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
i do agree that it does look "cooler" with the racks, but in my old age, i would rather have the luxury of just lifting the kayak to my waist rather than above my head to load and unload. some things are worth sacrificing to look cool, but after loading and unloading kayaks that are extra heavy after a long day on water, well you know.
yup, i completely agree. The original post seems like the OP didn't want a rack due to the look; I could be completely off. I have a rack but I opted to transport my yak in the bed and let it hang out 5 foot. Loading a PA on the roof of a lifted truck is a PITA and near dangerous without some type of a rig solo.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
carbonbass

Quote:
your car is slower and less gas efficient with the racks on top though