Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #361
CKallday71

Magnets

Anybody ever use Neodymium Magnets to mount things on their Yak?

I got an idea today from one of my Techs in service. I was checking out his street bike and he had a bag on the fuel tank and it was held on to the tank by magnets. I started thinking... we could glue magnets inside the hull and then we could put magnets on the underside of say a tackle bag or whatever.

What do you guys think?
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #362
RockyRaab

I think if you depend on a compass for navigation, you might want to re-think the magnets.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #363
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post
Anybody ever use Neodymium Magnets to mount things on their Yak?

I got an idea today from one of my Techs in service. I was checking out his street bike and he had a bag on the fuel tank and it was held on to the tank by magnets. I started thinking... we could glue magnets inside the hull and then we could put magnets on the underside of say a tackle bag or whatever.

What do you guys think?
actually i had done this already. check out it here http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...?t=6394&page=5
i had gotten these magnets from sears. they were used to hold up your tools but i just cut it in half and used the magnets strips and gooped it to the ledges on the hobie outback. then i used metal strips from the hardware store and duct taped them to the bottom of the plastic tackle boxes.
it worked great. done thru surf launches and yard sales and the tackle boxes remained in place. these are not the usually back magnets that you see on refrigerators but the earth magnets that you find in hard drives. they are real strong.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #364
sasha

I were at that as well. Were thinking about putting a magnet on the inside of the kayak then take some stainless steal tube and put in the center of the paddle. So when I wanted to get the paddle out of the way fast, The magnets would hold it in place till I need it again.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #365
ful-rac
Emperor

that might work if stainless steel were magnetic...but I don't think it is...
Old 03-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #366
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
that might work if stainless steel were magnetic...but I don't think it is...
Stainless Steel is not magnetic enough to work for what you want it to do.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #367
echo1er

another project. Looking for a spot to put the switch and the batter.
Took it out in the water bait lasted for around 6 hours.
problems I found was that the scales don't drain out.

echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #368
FishNinjaY

Nice design.. are you putting a timer on there? I'm wondering if it's necessary? It seems like a good idea to preserve battery life, but I'm not sure how long the battery would last if I just let it run the whole time.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #369
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Stainless Steel is not magnetic enough to work for what you want it to do.
Try 4xx alloy stainless steel. The nickle free SS are generally magnetic.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #370
JarrodMc

i made a tank like yours out of my gatorade tank because the fish need electrolytes to stay hydrated. I ran an inflow and outflow hose and it recycles the water better and having the cooler insulated the water stays at the same temp as in the ocean/lake/river, etc. I have it wired with my FF to my 12v 10.5 amp hour and it lasts nearly all day for a marathon of fishing.
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #371
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
Nice design.. are you putting a timer on there? I'm wondering if it's necessary? It seems like a good idea to preserve battery life, but I'm not sure how long the battery would last if I just let it run the whole time.
Us a 6v for the bait and it will last all day.

Last edited by Raskal311; 04-07-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #372
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Us a 6v for the bait and ans I'll last all day.
I used the 12V I got from you, and the tank died... lol.. (I'm not sure if I charged it fully? How can you tell?) Those chovy's died pretty quick once the livewell pump stopped. Not sure why the 6V would last longer than the 12V? When it was working, the 12V and livewell were working great! Once I've finished the fine-tuning, I'll post up some pics.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #373
Raskal311

Some charger will tell you how full the batter is or you can check the volt. Full charge should be almost 13v I think. 6v will run the pump at half power so it last twice as long. My last DIY tank only lasted 4-5 hours on a charge at 12v.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #374
RockyRaab

I wanted to install an anchor trolley on my Hobie Prangler 14, but didn't especially want to drill any more holes in it. The front and rear carry handles suggested an option, and a bit of household wiring provided the means. I simply loosened the handle bolt and slipped the hooked ends of a short piece of wire underneath. I got the pulleys at the hardware store for less than three bucks. (I boat only in freshwater, so I didn't need to spring for stainless steel pulleys.) Here's the front handle:

And here's the rear:

From here on, the rigging is pretty standard. If you are looking for a quick and inexpensive way to rig an anchor trolley, I hope this helps.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #375
tacklebox
I got gas!

Not sure if this is an innovation but I put some of that tape for your thumb or fingers 12'', 14'', 22'' and 28'' up on my fishing rod so I can easily determine if the fish are legal or not. Has been on there for about 2 months. Im sure electric tape would work good too.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #376
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
Not sure if this is an innovation but I put some of that tape for your thumb or fingers 12'', 14'', 22'' and 28'' up on my fishing rod so I can easily determine if the fish are legal or not. Has been on there for about 2 months. Im sure electric tape would work good too.
I was thinking of actually using a magic marker to make very small hashmark lines on the side of my yak as a ruler. Same idea...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #377
kayachapi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
I was thinking of actually using a magic marker to make very small hashmark lines on the side of my yak as a ruler. Same idea...
I did that last year after going out the first day with nothing to measure with. I made the marks, with abbreviations at each mark for which fish that measurement was for. Useful tool for an old man with a bad memory.
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #378
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
I always mark my Kayak with lengths that are important. I use a perm. marker and I start at an easy location and then mark all the way up to 32" I have tried those stick on rulers, and they have not worked too well. I have carried a ruler thing with me and it's just another gaget on to have to carry. Mark your boat and even if you sell the thing it's marked for the guy buying it from you. If needs be the marker can be taken off also.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #379
Hunters Pa

I have the stick-on ruler on my paddle. Easy to move it to the fish or the fish to it.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #380
Jimmyz123

My Kayak Loading system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeorK...ature=youtu.be

I had to make something to help make loading my Kayak on my car easier and to prevent messing up the wiper on the back window. Sure I could have paid $30 or more for an REI system or something already built, but where's the fun in that.
2 suction handles $5 each = $10
PVC pipe and fittings for both = $10
Pool Noodle, already owned.

Connected and tested best of all, it works.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas