Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #41
FISH11

Really glad you both made it back OK. Those scary experiences always seem worse afterwards. While it's happening you usually are too busy dealing with what to do to correct the situation. The point of practicing "SELF RESCUE" can't be over stated. I believe most have never done it and until they have to, they won't know how hard it can be, especially wearing a PDF. Even if you have done it before but now you own a different kayak, you need to try it on the new yak. I can imagine how much harder it would be in the dark. My bilge pump has a float ring on it so it can't sink, but I don't think I would have wanted to open a hatch in those conditions to use it. Thank for sharing this story Tony it might save someone else's life.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #42
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastLosYaker View Post
For anyone in need of a "bilge pump", I got mine at the 99cent store. It is really a kids toy water gun to be used in a swimming pool. I actually needed to use it about a month ago while fishing under the Coronado bridge when the leak in my yak became apparent. I worked like a champ and on top of that, it floats! Thanks to Andy for patching me back up. Great story for us to read. Glad everything turned out OK.
Yea bad idea. Kids toys do not make suitable safety gear. Sure I will buy a slightly less expensive radio to save some money, or buy the $80 PFD instead of the $150 one, but I'm not trusting a super soaker with my life.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #43
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Yea bad idea. Kids toys do not make suitable safety gear. Sure I will buy a slightly less expensive radio to save some money, or buy the $80 PFD instead of the $150 one, but I'm not trusting a super soaker with my life.

Yeah eastlosyaker has touted his .99¢ "bilge pump" squirt gun before several times.

ELYER, just buy a regular bilge pump, they're not too expensive. You may not think its necessary right now, being relatively new to the kayak game and all...i wouldn't want to see you learn the hard way...

With all due respect i think its irresponsible to tell people to buy a squirtgun for a bilge pump.

So you say mine sank and yours floats...then buy a floating one. My sinking west marine bilge pump could out pump your squirtgun easily.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #44
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Hey Tony I had an idea, wouldn't help you if you lost your pump, but... mount a through-hull fitting somewhere topside of your yak. The fitting has a hose attached to the bottom that reaches a low point inside the yak. The top of the fitting has a cap which is removed to attach a short hose to your bilge when you need it... now you can pump water out without opening any hatches. What do ya think?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #45
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Hey Tony I had an idea, wouldn't help you if you lost your pump, but... mount a through-hull fitting somewhere topside of your yak. The fitting has a hose attached to the bottom that reaches a low point inside the yak. The top of the fitting has a cap which is removed to attach a short hose to your bilge when you need it... now you can pump water out without opening any hatches. What do ya think?
That's a pretty good idea! I just frick'n hate to drill holes in the haul.
*edited... After thinking about it, one could use the holes for the sonar wire pass through. No extra holes

Last edited by roadx; 10-01-2014 at 01:19 PM.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #46
FISH11

As Tony said don't get a toy water squirt gun to try and save your life. Walmart sells a Atwood hand bilge pump for $19.99. I bought a West Marine one that has a foam collar that makes it float for $20. Is your life worth less than $20. Think about it.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #47
ful-rac
Emperor

If I'm gonna go that far as to drill a hole...I just might as well install a electric bilge pump like the one I had on my stealth.

I don't think it's necessary...you just have to be more careful and not underestimate the conditions....and not over estimate you & your kayaks abilities..
Old 10-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #48
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
If I'm gonna go that far as to drill a hole...I just might as well install a electric bilge pump like the one I had on my stealth.

I don't think it's necessary...you just have to be more careful and not underestimate the conditions....and not over estimate you & your kayaks abilities..
I think, I might install an electric bilge pump. Tony's foresight on installing an electric bilge pump on his old kayak saved his life one time too.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #49
momo fish

You should, you barely have anything on your kayak anyhow 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I think, I might install an electric bilge pump. Tony's foresight on installing an electric bilge pump on his old kayak saved his life one time too.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #50
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
You should, you barely have anything on your kayak anyhow 😁

Bahahahahahahaha........ momofish gets two sewer turds for that comment!!!

Get-em Mo!!!!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #51
KayakDiverRick
Junior

Hi Tony, my name is Rick and I'm the SCUBA diver that ran into you guys as you were having your kayak mishap. I'm glad things had a happy ending and you made it back safely. I'm not sure if you were aware, but I had my GoPro running during the episode. I hope you don't mind me sharing the video, but I thought in an effort to promote safety the video could be of value. Please see new thread for video link.

Best,
Rick
KayakDiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #52
ful-rac
Emperor

Very cool rick! I wish you had gotten me flipping my kayak back over! That would've been pretty cool. We all need to be prepared when things go wrong, just because they never have doesn't mean that they never will...and the main thing is not to panic.

Thanks for standing by Rick!

Great..! now I get to relive the nightmare forever!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #53
Lets_Fish

Looking through old posts, I came across this one.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...&postcount=321

Have you though of installing one of these, but use it for what it was designed for bildge pump not bait pump?
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #54
bmercury

Lobster season is just a who's who of unsafe practices. Someone always dies during the first week, this year was no exception. I will rarely do any kind of night fishing during lobster season any more just because the disregard for safety is so blatant.

Usually its the divers that die first and most often, this year no exception.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/10/02/5...-season-began/

But I have also seen plenty of unsafe boating and kayaking, usually with alcohol involved and always with excess velocity on part of the boaters.

Just remember that getting home to your loved ones is more important than lobster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Now a manually inflated one would probably be better for everyday use...

Manually inflating PFD? Not a good idea. By the time you need the PFD you are likely to be unconscious/otherwise incapacitated/unable to take the proper action in an emergency. That manually inflating PFD is not going to do jack shit if you get run over by a boat, or are having a medical emergency.

Just get a PFD that does not ever need to be inflated.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #55
GregAndrew

It is extremely easy to invent reasons to protect yourself from any kind of danger imaginable. But really, how many people does anyone here know that actually got hit by a boat, let alone knocked unconscious? Or even lost consciousness from falling off their kayak? Same goes for the odds that you are going to spontaneously develop a medical condition that incapacitates you. Not that those with known medical conditions wouldn't be at higher risk. You are far more likely to get run over as you jog, bicycle, skateboard etc. down the street IMHO.

Being able and prepared to save yourself far outweighs the tiny odds that a self inflating PFD is going to save your unconscious body. Especially when you have to remove it to remount your kayak. In that vein, would another length of rope and step have helped you to climb up onto your kayak Tony?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #56
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
Manually inflating PFD? Not a good idea. By the time you need the PFD you are likely to be unconscious/otherwise incapacitated/unable to take the proper action in an emergency. That manually inflating PFD is not going to do jack shit if you get run over by a boat, or are having a medical emergency.

Just get a PFD that does not ever need to be inflated.
Your right, a standard pfd is the safest for sure. But for some of us it's not the most comfortable or practical. I am in no way telling people which pfd to use over another, that's a personal choice or preference. We all make different choices in our lives. If I choose to wear a automatic or manually inflated pfd or no pfd at all then that's my choice. Kayak fishing is a risk, and it is understood that it is a risk.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #57
Sdspeed

Tony, after this experience are you gonna change anything? Longer ladder with more rungs? Hand holds or a grab bar at the rear. I heard you were fighting leg cramps so thats what made me wonder more about the ladder.Is there any alteration to the PA or any kayak that comes to mind that could be helpful? Thanks.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #58
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
It is extremely easy to invent reasons to protect yourself from any kind of danger imaginable. But really, how many people does anyone here know that actually got hit by a boat, let alone knocked unconscious? Or even lost consciousness from falling off their kayak? Same goes for the odds that you are going to spontaneously develop a medical condition that incapacitates you. Not that those with known medical conditions wouldn't be at higher risk. You are far more likely to get run over as you jog, bicycle, skateboard etc. down the street IMHO.

Being able and prepared to save yourself far outweighs the tiny odds that a self inflating PFD is going to save your unconscious body. Especially when you have to remove it to remount your kayak. In that vein, would another length of rope and step have helped you to climb up onto your kayak Tony?
I'd be honored "to go" while kayaking vs. a stupid car wreck caused by some drunk ass texter who ran a red light.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #59
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Tony, after this experience are you gonna change anything? Longer ladder with more rungs? Hand holds or a grab bar at the rear. I heard you were fighting leg cramps so thats what made me wonder more about the ladder.Is there any alteration to the PA or any kayak that comes to mind that could be helpful? Thanks.
No longer ladder would tend to scope out underneath the kayak...and that would be bad...

Yeah the leg cramps were unforeseen and definitely unexpected...and it made getting back on more challenging.

Grab rail...no, don't think it's necessary. I would definitely encourage anybody to build their own PA ladder and learn how to use it.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #60
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post

Greg, i think you need to invite me to every outing you go on(killing white bass, halibut and yellowtail) to ensure you have a buddy incase you go unconscious.

seriously Please invite me!