Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
mermaidhunter
Junior

Very first La Jolla trip ever

Have made up my mind to fish La Jolla for tuesday 08.02. I have never been there and look forward to it. Really excited and all but what are the essentials that I should bring? Actually where should I launch? Anything bits of info will help this La Jolla virgin pop his cherry.

Me and a few buddies plan to leave the IE at 3am.
mermaidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
coxtanker421

bring a camera . reports of the tax man waiting just outside. just kidding. go to info tab from home page , and you can find a fishing checklist by brian long. good stuff. i dont leave home without it. when i do, i ussually forget something . like batteries. do you know how to get to landing?
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
mermaidhunter
Junior

Thanks for the checklist. Where exactly should we launch?
Old 07-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Lets_Fish

Go to the end of Avenida De La Playa to launch and then go find parking on the street or in the parking lot to the north.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
coxtanker421

la jolla village ex. make a right turn or west .
1 /4 mile, torrey pines road left.
1/2 mile, la jolla shores right . look for gas station.
1 st light avenida de laplaya left.
50 yrd coastline / boat launch ramp.
you drive up with vehicle. unload and park . read posted signs for parking times. differ.
milage is est.
If you hook one, pm me for my address, so you can send me some fillets pls.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
coxtanker421

let me know if you can make heads or tails outta directions. i googled la jolla hotels and it gave me an ariel map. and i wrote it down. also if you want to meet up sometime in future , im in. i also know a very good guide and all his secrets spots. we can burn through them together.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
mermaidhunter
Junior

Thanks for the info all. We ended up fishing mission bay due to the fact of wind and swell. We arrived at 130a to nice calm waters. Had 1 newbie with me and a semi ok kayak fisher. Didn't want to risk anything. So we ended up at mission bay launched and Dana market. Super swelly at the harbor mouth and the wind picked up at dawn. Outgoing tide water was a warm 70.1 @ 130a and when the outgoing tide at 1030a was a chilly 57.8 when tide cane in the bite shut down, winds picked up to about 7-10 knots. I ended up with 4 spotties nicest one went 2.7#. Right as we were heading in I hear someone yelling my name. I turn around and look at my newbie friend no where on his yak. He had flipped and ate it. My other buddy and I rush over to see if was ok. As the yak flipped over anything that wasn't strapped down went down. Lost were a couple of rods and some tackle. He was quite bummed. Felt really bad about him going down. But he did quite well under pressure and quickly got back up on his yak. Tough conditions made it to be a tough day. But was glad to hit mission bay. LJ, next time.....
Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
tagyak

hey ray, glad that you all had a safe trip overall. also a bummer that your buddy got some practice time getting on his yak in the water
maybe next time we can all head over to LJ once you get those weekends free.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote