Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Kayak Rudder troubleshooting

Took a buddy out on his new (used) Revo for the maiden voyage yesterday... Surf was low, launch was good, but ran into issues with the rudder and we think it just needs adjustment.

Symptoms:

Drops and raises rudder fine. Turns left fine. Turns right poor if at all. When he turns the handle to go right the rudder flips up a bit making the rudder not dig into the water and so no turn.

I was able to put a bungie on it for the day to save the trip but think that an adjustment might be needed. Thinking tighten up the right hand turn cable?

What do you think...peanut gallery assemmmmmbbbblleeeee!!!!!

Thanks guys!

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Regor
Greg

After deploying rudder, was the down rudder handle and line secured in the hold-down cleat?

If so, then here's the instructions for maintenance:
http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/sup...air_Manual.pdf
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Lets_Fish

2x on the hold-down cleat!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Vikingj

Bobby,

Regor's link is great - I'm marking it in my favorites for reference. But to simplify your original question - I've had the same symptoms and discovered that the cause of the problem was the steering line had slipped out of the internal guide eyes (hold-down cleats) and was binding. I placed it back in the guide eyes and have had no further problem. Another steering issue that resulted in my flipping during a LJ launch was neglecting to secure my stern handle with bungie loop thus, allowing it to wrap around steering cable.
In regard to maintenance- I use my revo about 6x/month and once a month I check all lines and squirt a little silicon spray lubricant on the lines and O rings. I usually need to tighten the lines about every 6-8 months. Good luck.
Wayne

Last edited by Vikingj; 10-16-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added something
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
tim.gruber10
Junior

open up the rear hatch, look for a steering line to be dangling down. There's little clips on each side of the hatch where the lines are supposed to be held, they slip out from time to time (about once a month for me). slip it back in and you should be set, unless it is an actual line tension issue.
tim.gruber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Thanks for the manual and advice guys... I am certain it is one of those (not knowing anything about flip up rudders).

I've passed to my buddy and will follow up this week over beers to see if that fixed it.

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

I have this exact same issue I believe the cables are too tight, or the notch the rudder locks down in is worn...I need to go look at the link thanks for the info
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
coxtanker421

great post Regor. thx for info
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
lterrero
Leo

I traded my 2008 Hobie Sport with sail plus $550.00 for an used once or twice 2011 Outback about 3 months ago; never had a rudder problem with my sport for five years and now the line keeps on breaking on weird places (left turn one), they repaired it twice in Fast Lane and here it goes again anyhow thanks for the post and to Regor for the pdf file.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote