Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
MrPatrick

Rockfish Derby 2014

Every so often in your life there are events that you can look back on with friends both old and new, and tell stories of that day for years to come. This was such a day. From my feeble launch attempt and flip to the incredibly epic surf landing fails that had all of us yelling "Ooooooooohhhhhhhh!" There was the three rods lost yard sale that was so severe that it tore out a flush mount rod holder! This was followed by the most improbable of events, the yakker waded back into the surf up to his shoulders and found one, then two and finally his third rod. Jim, Matt, Tony and I were cheering him on. There was a "Captain America" sighting as well. We had pizza at the launch and renamed Team Sewer, Team Tourette's! Those guys drop more "bombs" than the Air Force!
The event itself was great.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396761105.210728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396761121.992682.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396761142.778196.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396761155.211073.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396761197.947997.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396761211.115938.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396761232.886344.jpg
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
jorluivil

Awwwwww cum-on! We don't curse that f¥¢king much!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
Drake

No body deserves more credit than Tony. He sent me a last minute message offering his services to filet fish. If you've never seen this guy cut fish, you're missing out.

When the fish was done, and the chefs never showed; Tony stepped up took control of the kitchen. Everyone knows the overall impression of a tournament lives and dies with the food. With George and Roby by his side, they pumped out enough fish n' chips to feed 100 starving anglers.

Without you guys, this could have been a disaster, and you guys stepped up. I am forever in debt to Sewer
Old 04-06-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
LawDog

Oh man my reels need cleaned. Flush mount fixed...thanks Oex mb. I think I'm gona take my reeks to work today and work on cleaning them...so much sand IN them.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
dmrides

Seriously, that was the best fried fish I have ever had!

The tournament was awesome, thanks to everyone who donated their time and energy to making I a success.

And I even got an incredible characature of my son!

Thanks again guys. Here's to 2015!
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
Deamon

I've been on the outside edge watching Neil put this event together for the past few months. I had been hearing about (and finally saw yesterday) so many good dudes and companies step up with offerings of help, donations, especially the hand crafted works of art, all to benefit HOW. Jeff's custom made rods (Seeker's blanks)...Lenny's (Skrilla) custom made gaffs...Aztec Brewery's custom IPA made for this event(!)...OEX's Kayak Gift packages (Winna, winna, Chiken dinna!)...Sewer boys laying out their famous fish tacos...it goes on and on. Pat yourselves on the back boys, well done.

Mr. Patrick...from a different perspective...I thought Tony and Matt were on their best behavior yesterday, definitely HOLDING BACK on the swearing with a newby around...I'm just saying...Hanging with you guys at Shores weighing fish, meeting a bunch of BWE dudes, watching the launches and landings made for a very entertaining day...all for a good cause as well.

Lawdog...doing the stingray shuffle for at least an hour in cold water and shoulder high surf until he found all three of his rods earned my respect. And then there was...Captain America (you'll have to wait for Tony's video on this one.)

A very good day indeed. Cheers to everyone, especially Neil.

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
momo fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Awwwwww cum-on! We don't curse that f¥¢king much!

Way to go Jorge ! Now how did you manage to win both boat and kayak division?? Sneaky guy had them fooled by changing shirts and putting on a hat in the picture.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Had to skip the after party and get back to work, but had a fun day trying to catch the elusive lingcod. Thanks to Drake and all the volunteers for what will hopefully be an annual fund raiser for WW and HOW!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Chuck D

What an amazing event. Thanks Neil for putting together a super fun time for an fantastic cause. I hope the whole event raised a lot of money for its intended purpose. It was great seeing the Sewer guys (Jim too) all helping out in SD showing San Diego how they contribute. Great Job on the win Jorge! Amazing Raffle prizes, big props to Jeff and his contributions and wrapping skillz. I hope to see this tourney repeating itself every year. Excellent time!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
skrilla

Great event. Props to everyone who helped made it happen. Can't wait for the next one.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
Tuff guy

Had a ton of fun out there, wish I had made it to the marlin club afterwards, but was too tired from the early morning and late night before. Thanks to everyone for putting it on, me and capt America will definitely be back next year!
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
RobFish
Massive Member

Neill, you did an amazing job with everything. Much props.
To Tony, Roby, Jorge, and the rest of the chefs, A+ gents. Some tasty chow!
A little bit of a rough day on the water to say the least, but still had a riot of a time. Won one jackpot, was .10 pounds away from winning another. 5.1 vs 5.2.
Managed to pull in a 6.7 ling that I thought would have made the grade, but got beaten by a horse of a ling at 11.3.
Thanks to Aztec for the tasty brew, JeffB for his time and craftsmanship, M&M for the custom rod, and to all the other vendors that gifted what they did to make this an amazing event.
A damn fine way to spend a Saturday!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
HELLSTER INC.

What a cool event! Good to finally meet some of you guys and Tony the fish fry was amazing, some of the best fried fish i have had. I was one of the lucky ones, made it out no problem and according to Tony and his gopro i had boring but perfect landing on Jackson Cuda 14. The Jackson tracks really well in the surf. Ended up with 4 reds and a small cabby but overall a great day on the water. Looking forward to next years event! Thanks again to Drake
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeah hangn out at the beach all day was fun. Watchn guys come in some safely some not so much....As some of you heard i caught captain america on video as well as a couple of wipeouts, not as much as i wanted to but i got the main one...jorge in his new PA!

Yeah team sewer stepped up, we did what we could, but so did Mrpatrick and erinoo and John from the marlin club. Without their help it would have been alot tougher on us. Glad you guys were there to help the helpers.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
rieffer

Gentleman, What a great day! I met so many cool guys and had a great day of fishing and that's what it's all about!!! One lesson for next year.... bring a set of dry clothes. I know from firsthand experience how much work goes into a day like this and you guys pulled it off with flying colors! Being a newbie and being terrible with names besides, I regret I can't thank everyone by name, hopefully by next year, it'll be like were all best friends. Again, thank you for having such a fun event and allowing me to join in. Semper Fi! Jim
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #16
Joctane
H2Okie Fanatic

Props to everyone, especially Neil for putting together this great event. Big Props to our chefs. Didn't get to introduce myself as you guys were hustlin' but I have to say that was the best fish fry I've tasted. I'll bring the tartar and malt vinegar next time. Seriously great job!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #17
lamb

Sorry I missed the after party. My crew was worn out; I was on my way there then had to turn around to take care of some family unplanned stuff.

Conditions were not great, but manageable. Fishing was tough for us - we caught a bunch of rockfish, but just couldn't seem to connect with any biggens. 2ish # was the biggest we could manage. 5 short lingcod (ugh...), and we could not connect with any goats or ocf... We were surprised we ended up in the money.

Thanks Neil and everyone else involved in making this tourney a success.
Team Sewer - class act!

Congrats George and all other winners!
Big thanks to all who participated and helped this tournament for a great cause!!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
619-SWIM-DOG

Great job to everyone yesterday. What an amazing event and turn out. Can't wait for more pics and video.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
Zfish03

Great event and awesome sponsors! Can't wait for next years. Awesome job on the fish fry too
-Z
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Thanks to ALL

It was an awesome event- I will be back next year
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote