Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #21
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
I'll back up Iceman on the X13 ! I love mine!
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
baitcasterboy20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnookOne View Post
How about the Heritage Redfish 14?

Who's with me?
heritage makes some good models
baitcasterboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #23
BulkCarrier
Junior

Just saw this thread after starting a new one.

Why aren't there any glass kayak's on the list ? ( On the forum and article on website ) I know they are difficult to get , but they must get a chance.

I know I am a bit biased, because I have a kaskazi dorado II, but I always felt that it will be under the top 10 fishing kayaks out there.
BulkCarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #24
Calico Killer Kevin
Junior

I love my Cobra Marauder, though it is a bit heavy. More so than my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140. I have the old model and its hatches are a PITA though they are quite waterproof. Its interior space is lacking as well.
Calico Killer Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #25
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Bump. Although in need of updates this might help some of the newer people that are looking for seaworthy kayaks.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #26
RockyRaab

"Best" can have soooooo many definitions that a list like this will always be contentious. Just as one glaring example, your question seems to assume that all kayak fishing is SoCal ocean fishing. That's hardly true. It may be all that YOU do, but for folks in the other 99.44% of the country, it is not.

Another example: I've only owned one kayak, so by definition it is the "best" one ever - for me. It's a ProAngler 14.

Finally, one of my pet peeves: The word is "pedal" not peddle (which means to sell door-to-door.) You only peddle a kayak if you schlep them around selling them.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #27
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
I'm gonna make a list of the top 10 fishing kayaks of all time just to throw on the website or newsletter or somewhere, thought it would be fun to get some input. I haven't come up with the list yet, but here's some contenders, in no particular order:

Cobra Fish N Dive
OK Scupper Pro
Malibu X-Factor
Hobie Revolution
OK Trident 15
WS Tarpon Series
Malibu Stealth 14
Malibu extreme
OK Torque
Hobie Pro Angler

What you got?
Tarpon 120 for me. Light, tracks well, easy to get thru the surf. I love my yak, except when I fall out because I'm dumb
ceruleandrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #28
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Don't forget my Big Red Squid!!! Gosh I miss that girl. 16' fast as lightning, and the the "wings" on the front pushed your nose right over the surf. The only reason I got rid of her was lack of a tank well. Outside of that she was beast.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #29
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
"Best" can have soooooo many definitions that a list like this will always be contentious. Just as one glaring example, your question seems to assume that all kayak fishing is SoCal ocean fishing. That's hardly true. It may be all that YOU do, but for folks in the other 99.44% of the country, it is not.

Another example: I've only owned one kayak, so by definition it is the "best" one ever - for me. It's a ProAngler 14.

Finally, one of my pet peeves: The word is "pedal" not peddle (which means to sell door-to-door.) You only peddle a kayak if you schlep them around selling them.
You're taking terms out of context, "seaworthy." The word itself is defined as being capable to sail the sea. If something is capable of performing in the ocean than use in any freshwater lake is automatically deemed as safe and within the capabilities of the vessel. We don't ask which kayaks are the best for freshwater because on the chance we want to expand our fisheries than that vessel may not perform safely in an ocean setting. I don't know about you but when I buy something I look for something that may be more than what I want in the chance I will need it. Plus I want to add the fact that the majority of talk on here is saltwater fishing, seemed like the thread appeals to the masses of saltwater fisherman. Not trying to pick a fight, just explaining my approach if I offended any freshwater purists.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #30
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Don't forget my Big Red Squid!!! Gosh I miss that girl. 16' fast as lightning, and the the "wings" on the front pushed your nose right over the surf. The only reason I got rid of her was lack of a tank well. Outside of that she was beast.
I came across one on CL and was intrigued but I couldn't find enough information about using it as a fishing kayak. Aside from the lack of a tankwell what other issues did you have with it? What were your favorite traits? Was it halfway decent to surf launch?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #31
Cbad Mike

I've only owned a Stealth 14 so I may be biased but I think the built in front bait tank is a great design and helps keep it on the list.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #32
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
I came across one on CL and was intrigued but I couldn't find enough information about using it as a fishing kayak. Aside from the lack of a tankwell what other issues did you have with it? What were your favorite traits? Was it halfway decent to surf launch?

Surf launches were awesome. Literally pushes the nose up and over the crest of the wave. It was super fast and streamline. Tracked very well and had plenty of secondary stability. I could lean way over and feel comfortable. I'm almost 300# and 6'4" I was comfortable on it. Fished mostly thresher from it. I'd never own this as my primary kayak because of the absence ofa rear well but if I ever found another one I would definitely grab it as a secondary or just asa leisure paddler.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #33
cell128
lizard king

I would say Hobie outback too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #34
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post

Got to agree with your first point, it is entirely dependent on what you want out of it. As for your last point, you rarely find someone that does pedal that doesn't peddle (whether they are making money at it or not).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #35
FISH11

Talking

X FACTOR by far the best for surf launching and stability on the water. My X13 is a little easier to paddle and goes a little faster. But when your weight is on the + side of 220lbs the top heavier center of gravity makes it so any quick move to reach for another pole in the back or get something out of the crate in the back of the kayak it rocks a lot more and you have to be a little more carefull not to lean if you don't want to get wet. There is only about a 6 lb difference in weight between the 2. In either case that is like a 45% less weigh with 65% more weight carying capacity than a Hobie. As far as PA's go if I wanted to haul around that much weight and needed a little more deck space, than I would just buy a center console skiff. the X FACTOR is still the best because of all the Hatches and storage room. If I was shopping for a new Kayak the X FACTOR would still be my choice.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #36
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
X FACTOR by far the best for surf launching and stability on the water. My X13 is a little easier to paddle and goes a little faster. But when your weight is on the + side of 220lbs the top heavier center of gravity makes it so any quick move to reach for another pole in the back or get something out of the crate in the back of the kayak it rocks a lot more and you have to be a little more carefull not to lean if you don't want to get wet. There is only about a 6 lb difference in weight between the 2. In either case that is like a 45% less weigh with 65% more weight carying capacity than a Hobie. As far as PA's go if I wanted to haul around that much weight and needed a little more deck space, than I would just buy a center console skiff. the X FACTOR is still the best because of all the Hatches and storage room. If I was shopping for a new Kayak the X FACTOR would still be my choice.
it's kinda hard to make that claim without owning several other brands and models to refrence from. From my experience from owning an xfactor, I can say that in all honesty, that it would not be my first choice in kayaks. But that's my opinion and I'd be the only person that that matters to. I've owed cobras, ocean kayak, hobie, feel free, malibu...... In my personal opinion all of them had there individual merits. Not one of them was the end all be all and all of them had their draw backs. It's all personal preference. It's a bit of a feudal discussion because there are so many personal tastes, fishing styles, etc. that it would be impossible to give any one kayak the title of "best".

Old 05-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #37
tacmik

If paddling, the trident for me. stable, lots of storage, goes thru the surf with no problems, fairly dry and easy to paddle.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #38
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
I'd really like a Tarpon 160. I am waiting on CJ when he sells his team version j/k
You wont be disappointed with the 160 its such an awesome boat.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #39
MissileTM

OK Torque?

I'm curious as to why you put the Ocean Kayak Torque in your top 10. I have a '13 PA 14 and a '13 OK Torque. The Torque is fun but nowhere near the quality fishing machine that PA is.
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #40
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
My first kayak was a mini-X which was great for lakes but a bit sketchy for salt.
My second was a Malibu Pro-Explorer, fast and tracked OK but no room for a proper bait tank!.
With my back injury had to move to a pedal yak. Bought an Outback and tricked it out with a lot of help from "Mr. Iceman". LOOOVVVEEE the balance as my screen name infers I Fly fish from my Yak and need the secondary stability it provides. Can't wait to hook a and on the Fly from a yak. Have fished Cedros from a Sportboat and landed a 25# what a kick that was!!!
Can't wait for my first sleigh ride in my Outback!
But that is what works for me!!!
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote