Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
FullFlavorPike

Sealine X50HV or Penn 320 GTI for surface iron?

Own both, spooled with 65# spectra. Penn is on my sabiki/backup yoyo rod right now. Daiwa on the Phenix Abyss 1008 for throwing surface iron. Even with the casting brake cranked all the way down, the Daiwa ends up a complete bird's nest if I really load up the rod.

Line is TIGHT and evenly spooled. I'm not great at casting conventional reels (reformed spinning rod surfcaster, what can I say....), but I'm not asking for miracle casts here. Just more than the little bloopers I'm getting with the spool thumbed hard to prevent righteous backlash before the iron even hits the water.

My thought is that the much larger/heavier spool on the Daiwa just runs away from the light line, and that perhaps the 320, with its smaller spool, could be a better surface iron reel, especially if I disabled the levelwind. The added line capacity and higher speed of the daiwa would be good for yoyo'ing in deep water.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Or does my intuition here make sense?

Last edited by FullFlavorPike; 06-10-2016 at 11:02 AM.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote