Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Line Recommendations

I have a couple of reels that I need to fill with some new line. I will probably go with 30 or 40# mono. There are a lot of brands out there and within a brand there are often several types. Which one is best?

I have been told by a lot of folks that you can't go wrong with P-Line or Izorline. Others have told me that Big Game is their favorite. Still others say that the cheap stuff from Ande is fine. Within the Izorline brand there is Platinum, XXX and First String. Too many choices.

Anyone have an opinion they want to share?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
1Flatfish
Wayne

Line recommendations

Jeez Bob, next you'll ask everyone what color hat you should wear! Just try some and see what YOU like! I'm just kidding around. I use P-line Halo in the bays and Izorline 40 # on my iron rigs. But I'm not really someone you should emulate. You may end up getting so many different opinions that you still can't make up your mind! Good luck. Gearing up for Yo-Yo season? Did you get a jig stick yet?

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
flydigital

I prefer Big Game (higher test) and Maxima (lower test). I've tried just about everything and switch up occasionally but always go back to these.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
TCS

New Line

Somebody asked Jim Sammons this at the OEX seminar a couple of months ago. He said new line is good line.

Here's another question: Why mono? I have my yo yo reel rigged with mono because that's what the oracle said to do, but I am concerned that when I finally get a yellow on it'll get into the kelp. The kelp goes pretty far out once your past the condos. But I guess that's another tread.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Duke
Junior

If you go with mono, don't look past Moimoi. They make the best mono IMO. I also like Berkley Big Game, as it is cheaper.

As for me, almost all my rods now have switched over to braid. There's only a few applications that in which using mono would benefit, but frankly throwing lures, trolling bait/lures, and jigging all work better with braid.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
1Flatfish
Wayne

Braid

I remember when I first discovered braid. I switched everything over and couldn't stop raving about it. It was fun, but now I'm switching back to mono and fluorocarbon line if I'm not fishing near or in kelp. Too many knots and leaders. Braid does not sink as fast as fluoro (bay long lining) And I've come to realize that I just like the feel of good ole mono better. I do like the way braid comes off my little spinning reel better than mono. It doesn't seem to twist as much and has less spool memory. Also, it doesn't fly off the spool on it's own when I open the bail like some new mono likes to do.

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Billy V

The answer "New Line" is a good one.

I usually stay with P-Line just because it always tests out high on the breakage scale, but I also have a spool of Berkley Big Game 40 lb. clear on the bench and can tell you its strong as hell.

Both work and you don't need to spend designer prices to get results.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote