Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

lj 6-3-06 AM

launched just before 6AM, lots of fog, bigger waves with short intervals... Watched some guys pound through, sat for 5 mins, launched to nada... There were a lot of kayakers and Pbers, someone must of posted on Bloodydecks... wonder who the traitor is in the kayak family... :P

I was metering large bait balls, but had difficulty finding bait to bite the sabiki... Dropped the only one I caught, paddled, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!! pulled the hook! :x Met up with MS, thanks for the baits. Got ripped again, for what appeared to be a skip jack tuna... 5lber released unharmed... Brad goes bendo for a SJ Tuna...

Jim H calls on the radio and reports a 12-14 lb YT! Nice job Jim send me an email for some high resolution pictures... sdholymackerel@gmail.com

Finally ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! Pull up a nice 4lb Calico.

Talked to some free divers on the way in, they reported the VIS as being "Sh*tty!" Current was RIPPING Downhill... I was around the corner, and started to paddle in around 9:45, didn't land until 1:15ish... I did stop and fish a little, but it was ripping. Saw a spot of juvenile WSB pop up, one guy C&R two. My lines got tanlgled.... :x

Talked to Peter T., he stated he had a nice WSB for the morning. Didn't get the "right kind" but had a lot of fun.

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Interesting morning with the fog. I launched just after 4 and made bait at the pier. On the paddle out I ran into some guy in a blue ex who didn't have his gps working and he was trying to get to get across the canyon and out to the fishing grounds. The WSB hit early. I pulled the hook on a nice fish around when the WSB were landed. Plenty of annoying PBer's out there. The luanch was a zoo also. Summer is here.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Mike K.

6-03 LJ

Headed out before dawn in small surf with no problem launching. Fog got thick..needed the compass to get around and nice to have the GPS to head directly to the pier/marker cans. Metered around at the usual spots for bait but nothing was home. Rounded the last can and headed over the canyon trolling a rapalla. Got picked up twice by bonito.
Got to the "used to be kelp" area and metered bait but had a hell of a time gettting any to hit my sabiki. Finally headed in to 30-40' of water in front of the condo and there they were...mixed greenies and spanish, all you can eat. Had a bonito slash through the bait as I was jigging for them and it got tangled in the Sabiki. Now this really sucks...a bunch of little hooks all over this thing and it's going ballistic...tangle took a while. Trolled the macs and a rapalla all over the inside and outside to 100' with no takers. Light wind out of the NE and a ripping current heading south kept pushing me quickly SW past the point. Treid the bottom a bit but just sculpin and small rock fish. Headed in to larger than expected surf but still not too bad.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Dennis

Bummer guys. I was thinking about going out this morning, but decided to take the little one to the beach instead. Lot's of people out, and the launch was full of vehicles loading/unloading. I saw some big sets come through, and a lot of kayaks get dumped. Nice seeing you out there Jeff, and Chris... I was hoping for some good news.. Next time.
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

launched around 6 to a whole lotta fog. Made a 1 huge and 1 regular greenback and a spanish. First greenie got toothted to death, then the other was a laim mack, died while trolling. The spanish did well but to nadda. Made my way in front of the condo with the pbers and was yoyoing the the blue/white 6x and WHAM................ Not so much of a runner but he pulled like a 100lb anchor. Dragged me north for 45 minutes. Came within ten feet of the yak and effortlessly went back down. Unfortunatley I was using my bait stick with 25lb test and not the 7' with 40lb test. closest I got him up after that was 20 ft and I tightened down the drag 100% and started to pull. Then Snap :cry: No head shakes, just raw power. I had a few tag-a-longs bs with me as he dragged me, none with cameras. My digi was acting up so I had to use the cell phone camera. Me going bendo was all I got......
Figure it was an enormous wsb or the rare bsb. I was pulling as hard as I could with pegged drag and thumb on spool. I didn't pull him up a foot. He was HUGE. :shock: good luck to the PM.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
madscientist

Nice boner.

Guy trolling LJ in a 42ft boat with kick ass outriggers (not sure if you can see them).

JImmH caugt a YT. The apocalypse is upon us. :lol: :lol: :lol: Congrats Jimm. You almost sounded as surprised as the rest of us.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
kurt

Good job, Jimm. Back on the right kind of ride. :P
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
Peter
Junior

As Chris mentioned, got my cherry popped (WSB style) today. Took a greenback on a screaming clicker ride, and took me on a ride thereafter. Fish came at about 7:45 in the same area a lot of PB'ers and 'yakers were in, maybe 2 miles off the cove. Final tale of the tape was 46" (not 48" as reported on the water), and 30# at the Dana Landing scale. Had to check. Went and bought a lotto ticket, since my luck seems good today.

BTW, thanks again Chris for a great time in Colonet. It's very cool of you to put out the general invite. I enjoyed meeting and fishing with everyone.

Peter T.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Slay Rider

Jimm, good to see your old school face on the front page again. Thanks , guys, for keeping me in the loop and I’ll be under the pier lights in the morning if you can/want to give it another go in the morning.

Robert, interestiong choice of colors :shock: Way to hammer the big calicos - the pre-fishing will pay of big in the 06 bass tournament trail.

SR
Old 06-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
vellocity

nice job JimmH!!!

skipjacks? i wish we could catch them here in LJ.. Aku(skipjack tuna) is awesome raw fish in Hawaii....
i've yet to try Bonito raw and i think i never will :shock:
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
Afran
fishy

ummmm. South Current. I missed my chances today. Had 3 runs on my JUMBO macs. 2 got dropped, the last I set too soon. (My baits were too big).

Picked a calico on my yozuri. Lost my sabiki rod during the the battle. First rod that I've lost. It wasn't leashed. After that I checked my new smaller flylined bait, bring it to the boat, up from the depths, 15 lb-ish YTail grabs the bait at boat side and is gone. Pulled it right off the hook. 26ft of water.

Nice day. Good luck tomorrow friends.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
T-Rex

Got a late start and launched around 7:30 a.m. With all the fog I didn't realize how fast the current was rippin...when it started to clear I could see I was well on my way to Bird Rock. The slog back around the corner against the current and NW wind seemed to take forever.

Managed one calico (released) on a smelt just outside the surf line early and had one big mac crushed and dropped. Maybe better luck tomorrow...

T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #13
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

current was definetly cruisin.... still sore this mornin.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

That Jimm fella must be a big guy, that 12-14 looks alot like my 7-8 :lol:

Thanks for all the weekend reports, hope to have one Monday.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
sterling

Jimm's Yt went about 8.25 on my Boga grips. Andy you called it 8#. Did he mention it wasn't hooked when he landed it. It was tail wrapped only!!
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #16
Jimm H

Geez, it's been too long

I reported it at 10-12 lbs, and realized it had "shrunk" considerably by the time I ran into another kayaker 45 minutes later.

I'd tell you where I caught it, but the fog was still dense enough at 9am that I couldn't see land, and the GPs was broken. With the current yesterday, and the long paddle it, I would say it was well around the corner. (85 ft. depth, no bait balls, though some of the puddling on the surface that was evident all morning.)

I'd also tell you that it was a perfect hook set, but it was not. In fact, the YT wrapped the line twice around its tail, and the hook then snagged under the line! So this one came up real fast and real fresh. Beat it over the head with the gaff, like a halibut.

Should be considered for year's wierdest catch.

But, I'll take it.

Jimm H.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Did he mention it wasn't hooked when he landed it
That would explain the frantic "center of mass" gaff shot, or did you shoot it with your 38. :lol: