Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
walrus

Dangerous behavior

Spent five days over at the Colorado River most of the time in side lakes and back channels. Power boats (the party type) were all over the place, and a few deranged ???????? would see the kayak and speed up when passing you. Some would act like they didn't see you by looking away as they passed, while the six or seven passengers on their boats watched you to see if you flipped.

The back and side channels are no wake zones. But one of these ??????? saw the three kayaks about a hundred yards apart paddling upstream over against the reeds. He opened up the throttle aimed for each kayak and passed me closer than a paddle length in a deliberate effort to flip us. The channel is about one hundred and fifty feey wide where this was done, deep and clear for a power boat to navigate.

My questions are:

1. If we get the hull number who can we report this to?

2. If we do report the incident will anything be done?

3. Any suggestions that on what we can do, that would not put us on the wrong side of legal?

Once again thanks in advance.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I would have had the camera out and made a call to the sheriff .........
Quote:
3. Any suggestions that on what we can do, that would not put us on the wrong side of legal?

I would also be wishing I had a brick!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
FARRIER

Report for sure but I dont know what can be done as far as citation without visual evidence. Write a letter to back up your report. And lastly don't go out on holiday weekends when its a booze fest. Drunk drivers never seem to get hurt. Its always the innocent people and their families trying to have a great weekend together. It sucks to say that but its true. There just isn't enough enforcement available.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
WahooUSMA

What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Spent five days over at the Colorado River most of the time in side lakes and back channels. Power boats (the party type) were all over the place, and a few deranged ???????? would see the kayak and speed up when passing you. Some would act like they didn't see you by looking away as they passed, while the six or seven passengers on their boats watched you to see if you flipped.

The back and side channels are no wake zones. But one of these ??????? saw the three kayaks about a hundred yards apart paddling upstream over against the reeds. He opened up the throttle aimed for each kayak and passed me closer than a paddle length in a deliberate effort to flip us. The channel is about one hundred and fifty feey wide where this was done, deep and clear for a power boat to navigate.

My questions are:

Once again thanks in advance.
What side of the river were you on? – California side is managed by SBSD – San Bernardino County Sheriffs in most areas. Also, the Coast Guard still patrols some sections of the Colorado River, if federal funding hasn’t hit them too hard.

Depends on how you present your case to law enforcement. If it’s a boating infraction, then probably nada….To me, after reading your post, at the minimum, you seem to have all the elements for a misdemeanor, which was not committed in the presence of law enforcement, but still can be filed if you present it properly. They will follow up if you have the CA numbers, etc. My opinion, your situation is no different than if I were to attempt to run you down in a car, and swerve at the last moment just to see you jump – that my friend is ADW with a vehicle, which is a felony.

My advice would be to clearly indicate to law enforcement that you felt you life was in danger. That the operator of the boat intentionally and willfully tried to cause you harm directing his boat towards you and at the last minute turned sharply to avoid a collision but did so in a manner that created a wake large enough to flip you. Additionally, clearly state that his actions were reckless and negligent.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Gino

bricks, 79Cents a piece, 5lbs each.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
bentrod1

Propfouling lines!
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Dan

get an outrigger and a "show me your tits" sign.

just joshin. that's a scary sight when a drunk party boat comes wailing through towards you.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
danny
Danny

DUI

I have had people do stuff like that in the bay, I was waiting for them when they got the boat on the trailer. I was going to beat some sense into them but I saw how drunk they were and gave the CHP a heads up. I followed them and when the CHP got them I waived slowly. Not as fun as a good beating but...
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
walrus

Thanks, for the suggestions.

I'm just concerned that all they will do is just take a report if no one has been injured or killed and this guy will continue until he has hurt someone.

In talking it over with others off this site and it was recommended maybe keeping a movie camera ready to go will help when reporting incidents.

There were thousands of boaters, only a few passed us creating large wakes, and only one as told above seemed to want to cause us harm.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Slappy

Call 911

As a Peace Officer that patrols waterways. Operators acting the way you describe are in violation of Federal Harbor and Navigational code which can be enforced nationwide. 655(a) is a catch all and describes negligent operation.

Call 911 and report it. Tell them you are fearing for your safety and the operator is driving out of control and maybe drunk. You pay tax money and you deserve to be left alone while trying to recreate.
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote