Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
vellocity

10/28 am report... JUST LIKE BRAD!!! YEAH? NO!

motivation for you weekend warriors..
try your hardest to work through the morning lull..

dead ALL morning up until 11am when i see some Pelicans diving on some bait some 200yards at the far outside NW corner.. the whole inside to midway point is dead and it's the ONLY signal of action i've seen all morning so i was going to jett over there before they sunk out... i wound in my flyline mack first, then started on the 2.5oz egg sinkered one.. i always wind in with the rod tip HIGH in case of a bite on the wind in...and sure enough as i start to wind in the bait is picked up... i immediately drop the tip and freespool, the line goes flying out so i set the drag and i'm hooked up.. hung it for a good while, strong fish pulling some decent drag, i'm at 110' and a few bouys around so i turn a few clicks more on drag... i was just settling in for the battle when a few more strong head shakes and it takes off again HARD followed by an immediate pop. OUCH BIG TIME! it broke off at the hook knot!
completely my fault for being lazy and not prepared.. i hadn't fished for about 5 weeks followed by a few days of no hook ups on bait so i hadn't changed out my flouro-leaders in quite some time.. this morning i noticed a little brown coloring on the leader knot from rust stains but i figured it'll work.. yeah? NOT!

anyways, still kicking myself and 0 for 2 in the last two outings.. talk about not capitalizing on the opportunity!

i wouldn't go as far as saying they're fish out there as it was pretty dead and that was pretty dog shit luck to stop, bait sink down and get hooked up..
yes, i did yoyo again with nothing to show for it..
tried to fish the wintertime spots in hopes of fishing around the sandy squid areas but it was pretty dead out there.. birds consistently milling around but none working anything to get excited about..

like if a switch was turned on after 11am lots of pinhead anchovy bait balls at the surface, about 3 or 4 solid spots of them.. nothing driving them or balling them up.. they were just spread out all along the outside corner..

good luck
N
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote