Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
carbonbass

tossing iron at yellows

I think this next year I am going to go to LJ for my first time and try to learn about surface iron yellowtail fishing any free tips would be great , also when does this season end and the next begin for surface iron fishing?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
RK

The fish enjoy warm temps and blue sky's mid day.......

They are very high maintenance
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
taggermike

I've caught YT on the surface in February. That's not common though. YT began to feed closer to the surface when the water warms in the spring/early summer. 64 degrees is generally the water temp most people agree gets the YT up and feeding. You have some months to get your surface iron outfits together and get get comfortable casting them. It's probably a waist of space on my kayak but I just about always bring a jig stick with me when I fish LJ. I feel sorta naked with out one. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Nothing like lots, and lots of time on the water. Experience is the best teacher, unless you have an experienced teacher. No matter how much reading or asking one may do, the only way to truly understand the plug is to fish with it a lot! It is not going to happen in one day. It takes a long time to understand all of the ins and outs of the holy iron. From picking the rod, the reel, the line, THE JIG, understanding yellowtail behavior, leading fish, casting etc. Take lots of time out of your schedule to dedicate your time or have an expert take the time with you and show you. The latter can save you many, many years of figuring it all out. I do encourage it though! I had to do it all on my own, asked lots of questions, listened and tried several times, most times failing. It is a whole other world from using jig sticks off boats (as I found out), keep at it you may become obsessed for life. I have been living for the jig ever since I picked up one as a little boat brat. Enjoy spending hundreds of dollars for this technique. LOL JK
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
oneyedeer

Kid....got a calstar gra 800m and torium 16 what type of line I should put on it?
also have a tn16n for charters what should i put on that?
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Drake

Well kevin will suggest putting thicker line on, very least 40, probably 60 though. It lays better and wont dig into itself
Old 11-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
oneyedeer

also how much of it? braid?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Chuck D

I would use 55lb braid backing with maybe 50 yard Topshot of xxx izorline 30lb. It casts very well and never lost a yellow on it. Xxx is a nice limp line for tossing irons.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
oneyedeer

thanks chuck
Old 11-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
oneyedeer

oh how much of braid.....i put on 300yards of 50lb powerpro and it's pretty much to the top.....how much braid should i peel off? how much line is the minimum 200yards?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Top shots are not recommended! What happens is the know will start to creep up on you when you are constantly retying or have backlashes. Then when you get to crunch time and make a great cast the knot gets caught on the guide and bye bye jig. Go with 40 lb Izorline First String or 80lb Power Pro Slick straight up. The latter use a 40 lb flouro leader about 5 ft. I really depends on the iron you are going to be using, but judging by your set up it sounds like you want to throw Tady C's and 45's. If it's Tady C's explicitly then run the lighter stuff the 30 lb or 65lb line respectively.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
deepdvr

Way too much work.

These things are pretty effective.

deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

LOL. Only problem with that Eric is you have to run over fish to catch them. They have to stupid fish at that! Haha jk. I go to the fish even if they come to me. Don't be hatin'! Hopefully your cherry will pop and you get to see what you've been missing!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
oneyedeer

so is 200 yards of 65lb braid enough line?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedeer View Post
so is 200 yards of 65lb braid enough line?
Plenty.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
taggermike

Braid sounds good for surface iron but I have to admit I'm a bit intimedated to rip a big ol' Ulua 93H cast with the stuff. I use it, and love it, on bait casters in the bay but loading up my old Newells to the top, I'm not ready for. Any one have great or terrible success casting strait braid with surface irons? Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
kayakhunter

Braid + =Love
Braid + +=Hold on to your rod....tight.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
-scallywag-
Banned

I stared running strait braid on a 100J this season cause the deep kelp kinda disappeared and the fish where consistently feeding in 70-80' over submurged kelp and with so much bait around the jig was the only thing they would regularly respond to. Here's the pro's and cons from my POV.

PRO's;
casts farther, no memory/twists, easier to cast light jigs, instant hookset (no line stretch),cuts kelp

CON's;
expensive, nicks easily, backlashes are much harder to get out and usually damage the line, cuts fingers easily.

For me the major pain is how delicate spectra is.....you really have to keep an eye on the condition of your line and dont backlash. If you cant consistently cast mono without backlashing then spectra is probably not gonna be the best way to go.... if i dont think kelp is gonna be an issue, I'll reach for the 93H full of 40mono everytime!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote