Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
sdjiricek

Hobie adveture vs. outback fisherman.

Hobie adveture vs. outback fisherman.

Just lookning for some input between the two models.

Stability?
Speed?
Compartment access?
Wave handling both incomming and outgoing?
sdjiricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Ryan The Sealion

the outback is obviously gonna be a hell of alot more stable... but not quite as quick.. One major benefit of the outback is if you have a truck, you can put it in the bed and not have to buy a rack or deal with putting it on top..The outback is dryer when you launch because it's short enough that leaning back will lift the front so you'll go over the wave more than thru it..landing will be easier as well becuz the longer the yak, the easier it is for the wave to turn it sidewayz and possibly roll ya..

I'm buying an outback as soon as I'm out of debt :x
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
SteveHman

I have an outback, so I can speak to its pros and cons. I haven't tried the adventure, but have heard that it outperforms (tracking and speed) the outback. As far as for fishing though, I think the outback has a few advantages from the rigging perspective. More areas to mount rod holders etc... The outback has a larger payload capacity and is a very stable platform (holds all my rods, lobster hoops and me, 225 #s, with no problem). I just installed the upgraded "turbo" fins and they make a noticeable improvement. As far as entry into the surf zone with the outback, it takes some getting used to. It tracks horribly without the rudder and fins down, which of course are in the upright position for entry and recovery through the surf (unless you want bent/broken parts). Though, with practice you can negotiate the surf with little difficulty.

I’ve heard the adventure paddles and tracks as well as most non-peddle yaks, the outback paddles like a tank.

There are a bunch of both out there and everyone that I’ve talked with is happy with the boat they have (outback or adventure). I would look at what you consider to be the most important aspect of the boat and then make a purchase based on that.

Speed, tracking, longer hull, slice through waves, solid paddler = adventure
Larger payload, more rigging options and a more stable dry ride, two built in cup holders for your beer = outback

Give both a test drive before you buy though

Steve