Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
tasteslikechikn54

newbie... just a few questions... help appreciated...

So after finally getting my kayak, (malibu pro explorer) I decided to take it out to SD bay. I launched at tidelands and fished the columns of the bridge. I ended the day with 5 spotties and was completely stoked about my new fishing adventure... I'm looking forward to hitting la jolla shores in February. I just had a few questions regarding the recent mlpa closures... How far of a paddle is it to the la jolla kelp from la jolla shores? Are there any groups that go out on a weekly basis... I have yet to convince some buddies to buy their kayak, I guess they are a bit squimish about encountering sharks in this area... Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Welcome aboard.

Its about a 30 min paddle to the kelp, there are always sharks.

I am sure the regulars who fish that spot as their backyard will get in touch with you. !

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

lot's of good guys and gals here, with alot of great info "to share"...love SD and the Bay of which you are speaking of, I fished there with Jim Sammons one time, who taught me alot on tides there, I am sure you will find a "willing" fishin Buddy, well probably Buddies here somewhere...welcome to the addiction, we all meet when we can in various locations along the coast, not MLPA's coast...had to stick that in...and the New Guy buys donuts...Matt likes the maple bars but I think a nice mix is just as yummy at 5;30 in the morning at the launch
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

The paddle is not far at all at least now. When the MLPA is in effect the paddle will be about 30 mins to the edge of the reserve. There are a few guys and a gal that frequent the Jewel weekly and the majority are very nice folks. The sharks are the least of yours worries. The biggest problem is the seal and sea lions! They are the ones to watch out for. Makos are more of a worry to me than GW's. Have fun, never fear, catch fish!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
lot's of good guys and gals here, with alot of great info "to share"...love SD and the Bay of which you are speaking of, I fished there with Jim Sammons one time, who taught me alot on tides there, I am sure you will find a "willing" fishin Buddy, well probably Buddies here somewhere...welcome to the addiction, we all meet when we can in various locations along the coast, not MLPA's coast...had to stick that in...and the New Guy buys donuts...Matt likes the maple bars but I think a nice mix is just as yummy at 5;30 in the morning at the launch
I will gladly buy doughnuts... I'm planning on hitting the bay a few more times to get a wee bit more comfortable... I'm hoping to gain as much information as possible before I try the dreaded 1st surf launch from la jolla... Have you fished the point lome kelp? Would you recommend I try fishing here first? Or is it pretty much the same as la jolla? Thanks again for your quick responses. Much obliged... And you're right about the whole addiction thing. Definitely hooked...
Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
The paddle is not far at all at least now. When the MLPA is in effect the paddle will be about 30 mins to the edge of the reserve. There are a few guys and a gal that frequent the Jewel weekly and the majority are very nice folks. The sharks are the least of yours worries. The biggest problem is the seal and sea lions! They are the ones to watch out for. Makos are more of a worry to me than GW's. Have fun, never fear, catch fish!
The Kid, what are the main concerns with seals and sea lions? Besides leaving you with fishheads? Are they aggressive towards kayakers? I know that experience will answer these questions and time on the water will ultimately teach me, but I like to get an idea before jumping in head first... Thank you for your info.

Last edited by tasteslikechikn54; 11-09-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: wrong username...
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

What you should do is always be aware of all your surroundings at all times when playing with the fishies, it's not the sharks or seals, yeah you should pay them attention, but the guy running the PB by you at 40 mph
or that pesky jet skier that isn't watching where he is going...
As far as "Pt Loma kelp" yeah I have, fun stuff. as far as "the dredded first surf launch" I didn't do it until I took a surf lesson with some "experience", however start off slow, if it looks too big to handle...it is...if the wind is blowing at the launch, probably not going to die down, but again lots of good info in here, I will hit you up when I am headed your way...which should hopefully be soon...it's that time of year again...go get um
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
What you should do is always be aware of all your surroundings at all times when playing with the fishies, it's not the sharks or seals, yeah you should pay them attention, but the guy running the PB by you at 40 mph
or that pesky jet skier that isn't watching where he is going...
As far as "Pt Loma kelp" yeah I have, fun stuff. as far as "the dredded first surf launch" I didn't do it until I took a surf lesson with some "experience", however start off slow, if it looks too big to handle...it is...if the wind is blowing at the launch, probably not going to die down, but again lots of good info in here, I will hit you up when I am headed your way...which should hopefully be soon...it's that time of year again...go get um
Mtnbykr2, thanks for your input... I will def. Be looking into taking a class soon. Working on getting all appropriate gear for ocean fishing... Radio, leashes, gps, etc... I hope to have all I need by February, sometime. I do agree on the pbers and jet skiers... Gotta watch out for those guys... But definitely hit me up when your in this neck of the woods... Thanks again.

Last edited by tasteslikechikn54; 11-09-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
mtnbykr2

10-4...
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
ctfphoto

Welcome, honestly the launch and landing at La Jolla is very easy IF you look for very low swell days.

Today for example is perfect with a predicted swell of 0.5 ft

I was out yesterday as I am on most tuesdays and the swell started at 1 foot and was down to .05 when I landed.

Perfect day and glassy out on the water, the bay has more chop then La Jolla on a good day.

I have only been kayak fishing for 4 months now, and at least once a week and I will tell you it is way fun.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Welcome, honestly the launch and landing at La Jolla is very easy IF you look for very low swell days.

Today for example is perfect with a predicted swell of 0.5 ft

I was out yesterday as I am on most tuesdays and the swell started at 1 foot and was down to .05 when I landed.
Ctf
Perfect day and glassy out on the water, the bay has more chop then La Jolla on a good day.

I have only been kayak fishing for 4 months now, and at least once a week and I will tell you it is way fun.
ctfphoto, I know that in la jolla there's yellowtail year-round, but considering how much the waters been cooling down, if I were to get out tomorrow, what kind of fish would I be expecting? I know that there's a big storm moving in for the weekend and I would def. Not chance it then, but the weather is suppose to be really nice tomorrow... Thinking about launching from the shores, if the swell is down like today... Should I bring bottom fishing rigs?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
ctfphoto

If you go out tomorrow then you will catch mackerel.

I would try rock fishing on the bottom which usually works.

Yesterday I tried that and thought I had a large rockfish on the line as I was on the bottom, but I just had a bigger mackerel.

I then casted into boiling bait fish with an iron w squid and caught another big mackerel that was feeding on the smaller bait fish lol. My freezer is full of lobster bait now

I am a newbie as well , I also want to catch YT, which I hear is easier in the spring.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote