Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Heroes On The Water
Non Profit Organization

Iceman knows HOW

Iceman (Andy) is a huge supporter of our chapter of HEROES ON THE WATER. Besides volunteering at our monthly events whenever he has the time he is solely responsible for organizing our biggest fundraiser of the year, the Mission Bay Classic.
Throughout the year Andy has surprised our chapter with monetary donations that he has personally raised along with the added donation of equipment.
We are truly grateful for his continued support!

Andy recently gave us a little more of his time by sitting down to answer a few of our questions.

HOW: How many years have you volunteered with HOW?
Iceman: I just began volunteering within the last 2 years. Having the local chapter utilizing Big Water’s Edge brought the existence of our SoCal chapter closer to my attention. Posting the schedule of events and sign ups and telling stories of making a difference was all the encouragement that I needed.

HOW: What made you decide to come out and volunteer for the first time?
Iceman: Knowing the leadership team personally and being made aware of the goals and the overall purpose of Heroes on the Water and these events I felt compelled to check out what was going on. Having grown up on Army bases with a father who was an officer, I appreciated this opportunity to give a little bit back to those who gave us everything in serving to keep all of us safe. My dad shared his love of fishing with me and I believe there is something powerful, being on the water kayak fishing.

HOW: What makes you continue to volunteer?
Iceman: Having experienced this once, it is hard to stay away. There is tremendous satisfaction in sharing what we know happens out on the water fishing from a kayak. Everyone leaves these events better than when they came, whether a volunteer or a participant. There is a great sense of our community and camaraderie as everyone hangs around eating and sharing stories from the day’s fishing. There are lots of smiles and you perceive the feeling of loads being lightened from the participants.

HOW: Do you have a short story or experience of some kind or regarding someone at a HOW event that you found memorable and conveys the spirit of what we do?
Iceman: No real specific stories. The returning participants usually stand out from first time attending as having experienced this; they have anticipation for what the day will bring without any apprehension of the unknown of a first time attendee. Watching anyone of these guys pulling in their first fish and holding it up with that fisherman’s pride for a photo is something I never tire from seeing. The camaraderie while everyone eats and relives their accomplishments of the day reaffirm that getting up early and making the long drive was a very small price to pay, the drive home feels shorter and filled with a sense of doing something good that really matters to these American heroes in need of us sharing this special resource we have found in kayak fishing and belonging to our community.

HOW: What would you say to someone who is thinking of volunteering with us?
Iceman: Everyone has their own strengths, everyone has something to offer. I have mostly tried to capture these events in photos and offered access to kayaks from my shop. Mentors with good teaching skills are one of many strengths needed for the success of these events. Setting up all the kayaks, rigging rods and reels, cutting bait, prepping food, cooking, clean up and loading everything all up are chores made easier with an abundance of volunteers. I have always shown up with the attitude of “use me however is needed”. I always leave feeling like a better person for being a part of this day helping out Heroes on the Water.

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Last edited by Heroes On The Water; 01-27-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Heroes On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
erinoo

I honored to know him.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
momo fish

X2.. Good dude 😊
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
FISH11

X3 , absolutely a great gentleman!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 AM   #5
Heroes On The Water
Non Profit Organization

Andy is such an awesome supporter of us and I hope his words inspire others to come out and see for themselves just how much a few hours on the water means to our deserving guests.

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Heroes On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Pocoloco

I can't think of a better way to spend a saturday on one of our gems, mission bay. Fish, kayak, eat and soak up some california gold. BTW the feeling that you get when you leave knowing that you've help someone isn't too bad either. Enjoy.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
blitzburgh

This is awesome! Ice, you the man
Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
Lit-up1

HOW

C U Saturday!