Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Cedros Island 9/28/2016--Part 4. loooong w/pic.

1-On Saturday, I got this 32 lbs. yellowtail.

Notice the tube scale. More on that later.

2-I had a problem with my Ahi Sabiki rod. However, we needed bait and there plentiful. So I kept on fishing with half of the rod.

3-These nice lobster fishermen gave us motor oil, which saved us a couple of hours going back to the marina. They even offered lobster to us.
We were told we would have lobster dinner that night, so we said thanks. Our driver gave them some sodas.

4-On Sunday, the last day of the trip; when the driver put out a live mackerel and it got bit, my fishing partner told me to land the fish with his rod.
He had landed a bigger fish than his 44 lbs. on Saturday.
I had to fight the big fish with rod on my left hand and reeling with right hand.
Very awkward for me.

5-After a good battle the driver gaffed the big yellowtail.

6-The fish was longer than the hold tank.

7-The fish was bent due to limited space in hold area. That is why the tail looks missing.

8-My present to the lodge. This way picture of the fish that are weighted can show what it was.

9-Here is my fishing partner landing a big fish himself.

10-He liked to take advantage of the railing. I didn’t get a chance to take a picture of the fish at the dock. If I remember it was close to 50 Lbs. yellowtail.

11-All indications were that I had hooked a yellowtail. After a lengthy fight and stalemate, I finally put the reel in free spool.
Moments later the fish got free and it came up.

12-Smile is for the camera. I got sick of catching big calico. I did not want to take any, so I did not want to hook any either, but it was not up to me.

13-A school of barracudas were trying to get this bait. They would just hit it, but not get hook.

14-Many dolphins around chasing baitfish. We did not see any whales though.

15-The custom made rod by Pete of Just Fishing by Pete did a great job landing fish.

16-The last hours of the last day were spent fishing for halibut with live bait, in front of the Baja Magic Lodge.

17-We let our driver rest while we drift fishing.

When my friend’s #40 leader line came back chewed, in area of nothing but eel grass, we knew there was big boys there.
Edwardo had shown me pictures of two large halibut that he had caught there.

18-I think this is a skip jack. I thought for sure that I was battling a yellowtail.

19-The phrase that “it is a small world” does not described the felling that I got when I saw this lady.
MS. Miller is the head of the SD fishing council. Every year I see her when I am at the Shelter Island Kid’s derby helping out.
She was there with her husband. She also caught the only yellow fin tuna of the trip. Not a huge one and she shared it with all of us.

Talk about good fortune for me. I could make it to the Derby this year, and yet I got to see her.

20-On Sunday we got to watch an NFL game thanks to Satellite dish that was at the lodge.

21-On the way back my friend took picture of me taking picture of him. The small plane had room for six (6) passengers.

The passenger that is riding shotgun is a host of a radio show called Rod and Reel show.
He interviewed me and me maybe on radio, and on WWW.rodandreel.com.

No autographs please!!

22-During the flight on the way back, I noticed the fuel gauge was going toward the empty. We had about an hour to go!!!. The light came on as well.
Then suddenly it went toward full. The pilot had changed the tanks.
There were three separate tanks on each wing on this plane which was smaller with capacity of 7.

Fish species caught were barracuda, Bluefin tuna, and bonito, calico bass, dorado, halibut, mackerel, needlefish, pompano, skip jack, bass, sardines,
Sheephead and yellowtail.

23-Both of two coolers that were filled with fillets.

24-The day after I returned, I took my blood pressure. It has never been this low since I have begun taking measurements.

I also lost 10 lbs. Who knew fishing can be healthy for you???

What a fun trip that was. Must repeat again.

The End
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Eric D Man
FNG

WOE

AWESOME POST!!
Old 12-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Ivanrat
Junior

Amazing

Thanks for the share it was loooong as you described on the title but it was well worth taking the time to read and go through all the parts. I'm glad you had a great time and for the great report.

Fish on,
Ivanrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Thank you all.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote