Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
sdjiricek

test paddled 3 models today and have some questions.

Hello all

I've been a lurker here for awhile now and picked up a lot of information. It has come time to buy my kayak and I've already test paddled several models. The Malibu extreme, Hobie Outback Fisherman, and the Cobra Navigator and Marauder. I've ruled out the Extreme. Athough I love the layout and deckspace, it paddles and turns like a tank. I like the Hobie Outback Fisherman and I still have till near the end of the month to get the "Day at The Docks" special. It is however a little unstable, compared to the Cobra models, but fast as hell. It turns on a dime, almost too fast sometimes, but seems hard to track with the rudder. The Cobras were nice. They turned easily and were the most stable of the kayaks I test paddled. They paddled faster than the Malibu Extreme, were a dry ride, and turned fairly well. Given all this I have a few questions.

1. How much does the stability of the Hobie Outback fisherman increase when fully loaded with gear? I currently weigh close to 200lbs. but will obviously lose some with all the comming exercise.

2. The footwells of the Hobie Outback are very deep to accomodate the drive system. When fully loaded (I plan for a livewell) is there a problems with water comming up through and soaking the deck? It already seems that my feet will be wet for the whole time on the water. Has anyone with this model noticed any of these problems?

3. The front hacth of the Outback coupled with its' instability seems to be a recipe for an unwanted swim. have any of you with this model had bad experiences with this?

4. The Cobra Navigator and Marauders' center round hatch seem to be partialy eclpised by the softseats. What kind of problems has this caused for those with this model? It seems almost pointless to put that hatch there as you'd have to spread like a $2 whore to get anthing out of it.

I have yet to test the prowler13 and 15. Any analogies or comparisons to the 4 models I've tested would be much appreciated as I probably won't buy till the end of next week.
sdjiricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Jimm H

Maurader

Have owned the Cobra FND, Malibu extreme, and now the Maurader. All three are good boats.

The Navigator is a smaller version of the FND, and is easy to laod into a pickup because it is so short. Yet, that same lack of length limits its speed and tracking.

At 6-4/220, the Ex was always taking swells over the stern, and dove into waves going out and in. (insufficient bow canting) Really hard to get out dry at your size, though smaller, lighter guys have less trouble there. I really loved the deck layout and the custom baittank in the rear hatch.

The Maurader is fast and stable, and dry. If you go there, just get the large center hatch... it's more than sufficient.

Don't have experience with the peddle power boats, though I don't like not having interior space for storing the rods on those tought laucn or landing days.

Hope others can provide you with other good commentary.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
steveooo

Owned the outback for a while. Good boat, Super stable. Sold it due to its poor paddleing design. The outback really is stable. Dont let the initial tippiness get to you. It is such a wide boat (36"), that it is nearly imposssible to atually flip. I have pics of me sitting on the edge of the boat with a couple fishies, it is nearly on its side, but in no danger of flipping. Not the driest boat, if you want to be dry, look at a sit in model.
Disadvantages of the outback.
1) Wide side rails
2) No rods inside
3) Poor deck layout/ not much stowage in the rear
4) Guys that paddle will make fun of you, mostly out of jealousy as you peddle past them while eating lunch while trolling.

That is just my experience though. I would not discount the malibus yet. I have not had a chance to paddle one yet, but there is probably a good reason that all of the pros on this site that you see with the HUGE fish on board are usually in a malibu.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote