Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
scwafish

Hi-low how to?

I am hoping to hit LJ on my way to Colonet as I'll have a day to kill while PAL is working. I hear you refer to the hi/lo frequently...whats the deal on the low rig? Dropper, Carolina? How much weight? Thanks!
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:31 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

This is how I do it....

Sometimes, for mono rigs, I just use egg weight straight up behind the circle hook. Usually 2 oz, unless there is wicked current then 3, or 4 oz.

or for my spectra/flouro rigs:

I go with one of those slider things:

so for low rig I use:

Spectra to slide thing to bead to barrel swivel to fluoro line to circle hook. These work good, becuase you can change the weight depending on current, etc. I carry 2, 3, 4, 5 ozs Torpedo weights... Also, you can take off the weights and go back to fly line if you need to.

Others may have some different rigs...

Chris

PS: COLONET COUNTDOWN!!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
scwafish

Right on, thanks. Never seen that style of slider around here, but we have something similar. How long of a flouro leader do you use? # test? Will we be basically using the same stuff at Colonet?

Super stoked about this trip!
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
bluesquids

I use those sliders too. But if i think it will be hitting the bottom I use a few inches of #15 mono to the sinker. The slider/sinker combo seems kinda snagable to me.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

It depends on current, so you need to adjust your weight. I haven't had too much problems with hitting the bottom. I use 4-5 ft leader of #30, #40 fluoro fishing La Jolla due to my experience with kelps over the years. Some guys are getting away with using #30 mono straight up (no spectra) and are sawing through the diseased kelps.

For Colonet, I use strictly mono, much easier than tying up spectra fluoro rigs, which I only use in the threat of kelp. There is a small amount of kelp wrapping around the Cliffs, but not like the forrest that used to exist in LJ, that would threaten you getting wrapped up. My two WSB, which were fairly sizeable were caught on #30 mono, and #20 mono (jig masters) respectably, and I was never in threat of being busted off from Kelps, niether was Smoker Mike's Yellowtail, (who hooked up more than once). If you like spectra use it, I like to go simple in baja... Give me a call, or email if you have any further :?: 's.

Chris
Old 05-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Grego

Them are good halibut sliders for carolina rigs, you can get them at Cabelas.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
T-Rex

Chris,

Do you attach the torpedo sinkers directly to those cool slider gizmos or do you use a length of mono between the two? I've been using a similar rig with 18" - 24" of mono to the sinker an it seems to get tangled too much.

Thanks,
Rex
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Hey Rex, yes I just put the weight directly on the snap swivel part, and don't use any line as a leader from the swivel to the weight.

Chris
Old 05-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
larry

cool slider gizmos

The cool slider gizmos are called "Sea Striker Duoloc Sinker Slides" Cabelas just sent me a SPECIAL WAZOOO FISHING SUPER SALE FLYER that has a 25 pack of the sliders for $6.49. Should be at cabelas.com.
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
T-Rex

Larry,

Thanks for the info...I just placed my order.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote