Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
james92026

LJ Saturday need company

I am planning on launching at La Jolla Saturday and since this will be my first time I do not wish to go alone. I would probably arrive at the La Playa Launch site around 6 a.m. unless somebody has a better suggestion. I have noticed lately that some have caught some 34 inch Halibut and some good sized Yellow Tails (30#) and was wondering how to rig.
My gear is not the best, but should suffice:
Penn Jigmaster on 6.6 Ugly Stick (medium action), new 30# mono
Cheap spin combo (Silstar ET60) on 8 ft Shimano 80MHB2 (30# mono)

I was planning to use the conventional rig to go deep with a home made wire halibut rig on sliding sinker with whole squid. Keep the spin combo for either throwing plastics, yo-yo a Sala iron, or use sliding snell on squid rig but was wondering if I should use weight (Carolina) on that also, or fly line it? I would be bringing my own squid from Asian Market, but am not opposed to making bait with Sabiki (also a first for me). I will leave bait tank at home, but will have a 3 inch bait tube.

Any suggestions/advise greatly appreciated as are definitely any RSPV’s.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

JAMES
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

carolina and dropper loops for yellows and wsb. trap rig a mackerel on a long carolina and send it to the bottom with enough weight to keep you vertical on the drift (4-6oz) and keep the weight about 3-6ft off the bottom and just drift. i use about a 5ft leader with this. this will pick up basically anything but you have a better chance of getting a butt.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

I was under the impression that the weight should drag across the bottom....
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
james92026

would depend on what you are after...i.e a lot of folks do "ball bouncing" for halis; others do suspended presentation for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
I was under the impression that the weight should drag across the bottom....
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
james92026

okay then....I guess no body is going......then neither will I as I will not go alone. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I'll be going to Laguna tomorrow morning if you want to meet up at fishermans cove there! I would love a fishing buddy for the morning. Can't make it to La jolla and back in time for work though
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
james92026

Thanks, but I'm in the same situation and would need to be back by noon and LJ is much closer. We will definitely do it one day though...

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
I'll be going to Laguna tomorrow morning if you want to meet up at fishermans cove there! I would love a fishing buddy for the morning. Can't make it to La jolla and back in time for work though
Old 12-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Just go for it. I'm sure there will be other people launching earlier than you. Bring a rig to get your bait to the bottom and give it a try. You learn way more by going and trying and meeting people on the water than asking on the boards. Who knows, you might even get lucky and bring home some feeeesh! Good Luck!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
james92026

Thanks, but my main reason for not going alone was for safety as I am still a little gun shy from my unexpected "Ocean Swim" a few weeks ago. I know once the water temp heats up and I get in a little "re-entry" practice with the proper apparel, I will be fine. Like Dirty Harry said "A man's got to know his limitations". As for the fish.....I usually always get something, not always keepers, but never completely skunked. (always released too)

QUOTE=467echo;103231]Just go for it. I'm sure there will be other people launching earlier than you. Bring a rig to get your bait to the bottom and give it a try. You learn way more by going and trying and meeting people on the water than asking on the boards. Who knows, you might even get lucky and bring home some feeeesh! Good Luck![/QUOTE]
Old 12-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
salty pirate

I'll be there about 6-615 in a white 2500hd. tan colored outback.

Eli
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
james92026

Wishing you the best of luck. I gave it until 4 p.m. and since no response, made some other plans with my S.O. Thank you very much, hopefully another time. Catch a big one! ('sides, gives me excuse to buy some more toys weights, irons, e.t.c.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty pirate View Post
I'll be there about 6-615 in a white 2500hd. tan colored outback.

Eli