Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
rblalex
Junior

Lavacore

Hello to all,
My name is Alex, I am new to the Ventura area and new to Kayak fishing as well. I am looking for a medium in between waiders and a wet suit. I recently came across a product called lavacore and was wondering if any one here has used them and what they think about them. Thanks fot the info.
rblalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
steveooo

Never heard of 'em...

On the other hand, if they will make my package look this good, I'll take 2 please

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Never heard of 'em...

On the other hand, if they will make my package look this good, I'll take 2 please

:elef ant: Hehehe, you said package.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblalex View Post
Hello to all,
My name is Alex, I am new to the Ventura area and new to Kayak fishing as well. I am looking for a medium in between waiders and a wet suit. I recently came across a product called lavacore and was wondering if any one here has used them and what they think about them. Thanks fot the info.
Lavacore makes fleeced line trilaminate wetsuits. They talk as if it's a new technology but other manufacturers like Henderson have been making similar products for years.

I wear Henderson polartec trilaminate wetsuits under waders and they work great. Wicks moisture off your skin, comfortable as flannel pajamas, breathes and stays warm even if you spring a leak and get wet. Trilaminates paired with breathable waders and a Goretex top cannot be beat when it comes to cold weather comfort. Lavacore is using Polytherm instead of Polartec but I imaging it's pretty much the same thing. I'd never buy one of these wetsuits new as the are ridiculously expensive. I got my Henderson's off ebay for about 50 bucks like new.

One piece of advice. If you get a full trilaminate wetsuit be prepaired to sew in a zippered fly. It's no sweat the material is easy to sew but the front or back zippers at least on Henderson suits don't give package access.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
dorado50

I think it would be of importance to know the difference/or similarities of polartec and polytherm before making a purchase. Any experts wannna chime in?
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
I think it would be of importance to know the difference/or similarities of polartec and polytherm before making a purchase. Any experts wannna chime in?
Both Polytherm and Polertec are forms of polyester, essentually polyester fleece. Polytherm is a cheaper product, and it's been around a long time. If I remember correctly I think it was originally developed by the military. Back in the eighties polytherm long underwear was considered Hi-tek, and expensive but it's now much cheaper. I know it's a good insulator, not sure if it's as comfortable as polartec as I have no real experience with it. That said if they make long johns from the stuff it must be pretty comfortable on your skin.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
RK

steveooo nice package man, those shorts are very flattering on the junk
RK is offline   Reply With Quote