Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
tanners
Junior

LJ 10/23

Headed out at grey light and batteries were not cooperating. With no bait tank and fishfinder, we ended up jigging a couple macks at a time and throwing them in the bucket full of stagnant water, which kept them alive about 20 minutes.

We drifted trolled out about 2 miles past the point and started drifting a flyline whilst throwing Krocodiles and irons. Caught a bunch of calicos/skipjack on the irons while waiting.

Round 1: Something with shoulders rips about 20 yards of line and cuts the line clean. This is on 40lb with 15lbs of drag and no obstructions around. We were out of bait so we went back to the buoys to make more.

Round 2: Both of us hook up, both bit off clean within 1 minute of fighting. More baits out.

Round 3: Both of us hook up, mine is off in 45 seconds after I gain some line. My buddy's fish dogs him about 50' down for 5-7 minutes until the line is frayed through. His line is nicked up for a foot or two above the point of seperation.

Any ideas on what these fish were? We were thinking sharks but they felt and fought like yellowfin tuna but faster? Strange. All cut off using big circle hooks, too. There's been Wahoo caught so close to shore it has me wondering...

Also got hit on the iron so hard that my 90j/Saltiga combo flew out of my arms. If anyone find one in 300' out there, let me know

EDIT: 8/25 NOT 23.

Last edited by tanners; 10-26-2015 at 02:45 PM.
tanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
tanners
Junior

Wait, that may have been a bullet tuna. Hmmmm.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Lipripper92592

The HH's had us a few times on Saturday.....ripping from the troll.....grab the rod, crank down....pop....cut line..... look for the dorsal fin. The HH can bomb out pretty quick when they get serious.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

My guess is hammerheads. The nicks in the line above the hook are probably from that hammerheads, hammerhead..
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
tanners
Junior

That was my first guess. Although hooking 6 seemed like a lot of HH's for the 4 hours we fished that spot. It was grease calm and I didn't see any dorsal fins, seals didn't seem concerned either as they sat near us all day. I'll go with HH's then.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
surfisher

I was out yoyo'ing the other day on my boat at about 300' like you (not LJ though) and got stopped HARD by a fish mid column. Thing loaded up my rod a lot, didn't stick. Reeled the lure back in and what do you know.... Wahoo teeth marks. There was another boat trolling by about 5 minutes later that stuck a hoo right by us. You never know... although I'd say your baits got bit by a shark.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
I was out yoyo'ing the other day on my boat at about 300' like you (not LJ though) and got stopped HARD by a fish mid column. Thing loaded up my rod a lot, didn't stick. Reeled the lure back in and what do you know.... Wahoo teeth marks. There was another boat trolling by about 5 minutes later that stuck a hoo right by us. You never know... although I'd say your baits got bit by a shark.

surfisher how are you able to differentiate different teeth marks? There are a lot of teeth in the ocean, not trying to challenge or disbelieve you just trying to learn for myself?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
surfisher how are you able to differentiate different teeth marks? There are a lot of teeth in the ocean, not trying to challenge or disbelieve you just trying to learn for myself?
I compared them to the marks on my maraduer. They seem to have a distinct small holes in a straight line. Here is a photo of the maraduer.
Name:  IMG_1679.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 10-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
619-SWIM-DOG

ONO Teeth....................
Attached Images

619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Croaker Dave

I had a dance with MC Hammer on Sunday. He came first to my yak and checked me out, then went out and found my mac, which he chased back right under my ass before picking it up. Big reel buzz, I was grabbing for dikes to cut him off but he bit through the leader right above the hook and saved me the trouble.

I suspect they have learned to follow yaks. So now we have dogs and hammers collecting tolls from us like two rival cartels running the same plaza.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote