Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
Kesepton

Baja Trips

Hi, I know there are a lot of veterans of Baja on here and I was hoping you could answer a few questions. I didn't realize that my wife didn't have a passport and that mine was expired... We were hoping to go down March 25th - 29th.

My buddy who is going with us has told me that we don't need it, but we might get hassled at the border when coming back but still can get through. What are your experience with this? I was reading that they wont even sell you an FMM unless you show your passport now. Do I even need this?

Another thing is that Easter will fall during that weekend. Any ideas on what to expect in that area? We were really hoping to have a quiet Baja get away, especially for our first trip, but I am afraid that itll end up being pretty crowded. Or, are the "easter crowds" still more private than the usual weekday crowd?

I know about the trip that's suppose to be scheduled during that time and hope to hook up with those guys when we get down there. If nothing else than to say hi.

Thanks for the help guys.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:37 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

The FMM is required no matter length of stay. Free if you want one for under 7 days. You can get a 6 month for a small fee. You are correct that you need a passport to get an FMM as they put the passport number down on the paper. Its not to say that people still go down not knowing they need one and get away with it. Its only a matter of time you get checked at an inspection though. Not sure what the consequences would be as mexico does not have the same type of "book law" as we do. I would say at minimum I would want to bring birth certificate with you if you dont have a passport, otherwise you could be tied up at the border for quite some time. Probably lots of paperwork and questioning if they felt so obliged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
svendawg

Not a good idea

From experience during the holiday weekends like Easter the Mexican authorities have extra checkpoints where they have checked for FMM.s and turned tourists back if you don't have one.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
taggermike

Baja is a huge place but some areas can get crowded on spring break. Stay away from San Felipe is my advice. The real hit this time of year is you can spend a very long time waiting to cross the boarder. 4-5 hours in line is a possibility.

I've had to show my pass port to get an fmm.

This is only what ive heard, not read on any official sights. If you state you are an American citizen at a port of entry, even if you do not have documents, they legally have to let you in to the country. They can then hold you in detention for days until you can prove who you are.

There are enough things you can't control when traveling in Mexico. So control the things you can. Every thing might be fine. Or you could get detained in Mexico and then again in the US. Its the law. You know it and its been in place long enough that playing ignorant is not gonna work. Get your documents together before you go. Until then there are great places in Cali to vacation. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
Mahigeer

Don't risk it.

It is not worth the risk.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Another thing to worry about is that most mexican auto insurance policies have the disclaimer that the coverage could be refused if you are not in the country legally. The could be interpreted as having a passport and FMM.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

I traveled back n forth without a passport for years and never got hassled coming back across. I always gave them a valid drivers license and was never held up because of it. I have had a passport now for two years and often travel with friends that don't have one. Still no problems.

The FMM issue however I do not know about. I personally have never got one and do not plan on getting one until it stops me from going down to my place in Baja.

On another note something to consider, I don't know for sure but I have heard if you are in an accident and need to be life lined back into the country they will not let you travel by air without the Passport Booklet. That was the main reason I purchased one.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Caseym

Baha on my mind

Went South and beach camped below San Quentin (Pacific Side) years ago. Returned on a Friday...didnt realize it was "Good Friday." For religious reasons most Mexican businesses were closed from Friday to Sunday. We were really
Lucky to find an open Pemex station. Even Ensanada was like a ghost town. 5 days earlier everything was crawling with people. Just be aware of little differences that u may encounter such as this. Others can probably elaborate on personal experiences in different parts of baja during Easter week.
Good Luck
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

I'll be in the don't risk it crowd...You might get away with it if your mexican and you speak spanish...but if your a gringo or a chino...you will probably go to Jail-o!

Especially with President Trump telling everyone mexico's gonna pay for the wall...I'm sure the Federales will not waste an opportunity to screw with Americans going down to Mexico from now on...Be safe have the proper paperwork, insurance and passports and identification.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
You might get away with it if your mexican and you speak spanish...
I agree with this statement. I definitely try and match the hatch while I'm down there. A little bit of spanish goes a long way.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:03 AM   #11
Kesepton

Thanks guys for the responses. Its pretty much what I was reading/discovering but ive had so many people tell me "just go and whats the worst that can happen"

Well... even if its only a 10% chance of getting hassled, its not worth it to me for a vacation with the wife. If I was alone, I might have chanced it. Im so bummed... but I think ill just sit it out and be sensible. I was really considering it since I know they do have to let us in eventually being a citizen, but hearing that they might need it for an air lift sealed the deal. Did not think about the extra check points either.

I didn't really want to go during Easter but that was when my wife was off school. We will just have to try again next month when I get the funds to get them. I think it was going to be just over $400 to get both of ours expedited...

Thanks for no name calling! I was expecting a lot of it! Ill make it down there some day soon. Its so close and its everything we could hope for in an adventure. Yet... so far
Old 03-08-2016, 01:03 AM   #12
Kesepton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
I agree with this statement. I definitely try and match the hatch while I'm down there. A little bit of spanish goes a long way.
This is too funny though.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #13
DavidT

You might post this on bajanomad.com
When the topic comes up over there it usually generates a lot of entertaining reading with a bit of real info.
When I renewed my passport I got the card also, it helps when returning to the US by car.
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
taggermike

Certainly bad things can happen to any one, any where, at any time. But in regards to an Americano traveling in Mexico, "just go and what's the worst that could happen" is really poor advice. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #15
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
I traveled back n forth without a passport for years and never got hassled coming back across. I always gave them a valid drivers license and was never held up because of it. I have had a passport now for two years and often travel with friends that don't have one. Still no problems.

The FMM issue however I do not know about. I personally have never got one and do not plan on getting one until it stops me from going down to my place in Baja.

On another note something to consider, I don't know for sure but I have heard if you are in an accident and need to be life lined back into the country they will not let you travel by air without the Passport Booklet. That was the main reason I purchased one.
I bet you recommend driving at night too?

If you don't know about the FMM then you really have no place giving out Baja advice.... look it up bud. Sure you have made it home safe to date, but you have been rolling the dice.

Oh and in my, and many others experiences, do NOT speak in Spanish to the police or mexican military. Playing the dumb gringo will get you much further.... Mexico needs our tourism dollars and the cops and military are aware of this, and are informed that they should not hassle Americans. I have never had to show any of the insurance paperwork, FMM, passport, etc. (been pulled over and asked for a bribe many times but talking in English always has gotten me out of it with no bribe or ticket). That said anything can happen so always be prepared.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #16
Mahigeer

I know this is beating a dead horse, but the person who advocates "what is the worst thing that can happen" should be a travel companion with no documents.

It is easy to send other people to harms way when one is not with them!
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
I bet you recommend driving at night too?

If you don't know about the FMM then you really have no place giving out Baja advice.... look it up bud. Sure you have made it home safe to date, but you have been rolling the dice.

Oh and in my, and many others experiences, do NOT speak in Spanish to the police or mexican military. Playing the dumb gringo will get you much further.... Mexico needs our tourism dollars and the cops and military are aware of this, and are informed that they should not hassle Americans. I have never had to show any of the insurance paperwork, FMM, passport, etc. (been pulled over and asked for a bribe many times but talking in English always has gotten me out of it with no bribe or ticket). That said anything can happen so always be prepared.
Funny that you might say that, I actually do travel mostly at night. However I never recommended it. It's just how it works out for me.

Just to be clear.... in response to your negative comment suggesting what I should not do (If you don't know about the FMM then you really have no place giving out Baja advice.... look it up bud.)

I never gave out any advice, all I did was share my personal experience which is what the original poster asked in regards to traveling without a passport.

Too add to that... in my personal experience (I have been traveling to Baja my entire life), I have found that being able to communicate, (speaking a little bit of spanish) goes a long way, and not playing the dumb gringo (like you suggested), I have also never had to pay a bribe or ticket. A little common respect also goes a long way... bud.

Last edited by SDROB; 03-08-2016 at 08:27 PM.