Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Skunk. Report, Chula Vista

My wife and I got a late start yesterday and got launched at 09:30. That two hour drive down isn't the best part of my morning. Anyway, got on the water and the fish finder said 75 degree water temp, two minutes into the paddle the screen brightness disappeared and I couldn't see well enough to figure out how to fix it on the water. We went out to the boat channel then turned left towards the flats. I had one good bite on a squid and my hook came untied without ever seeing color. The bait was jumping every where but no birds diving. I cast a big plug for awhile but so much grass and debris in the water that I never got a clean return. I started bouncing a gulp shrimp on a 3/8 jig head and drifted with the wind without a bite. By noon the wind had picked up to occasional whitecaps so we headed in. The overcast was nice after coming from 100 degree Yucaipa, it was cool enough to enjoy being out there. My wife fishes in a sit in Kayak and it makes me nervous to get too far with her. I know I should have paddled further in search of fish but I have to make sure she stays safe so I kept us within swimming distance of the shore. Got back to Yucaipa about 3 and it was once again 100. I need to move.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Well at least you got on the water. Glad it was cool for you too.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
Harry Hill

First time since we did Dana earlier this year with landwhale. When was that. I need to paddle a lot more to get the strength built back up. Also need that new kayak that doesn't paddle like a two person kayak, which the Malibu Pro2T is. I also need to figure out how to keep all my fishing gear closer to hand.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
Amish Ed

That was a long time ago, Harry. Don't remember when though. How close are you to getting a new yak?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
That was a long time ago, Harry. Don't remember when though. How close are you to getting a new yak?
I don't know, I had an unexpected IRS bill this year that I will pay on the 30th of this month. It was $3000 I didn't have laying around so after that I start saving for the new yak and hopefully nothing else shows up to rob my yak account.

I want to try Shelter Island this week I think if I can figure out where to launch from.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
jbl_91762

Don't feel bad, I was at Newport/CDM for 7 hours last Sat and was skunked bad. Couldn't even find mac for trolling! 1st time ever skunked especially after 7 hours on water with live bait, swim baits ghost shrimp, Nada. Oh well there's always next time!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Don't feel bad, I was at Newport/CDM for 7 hours last Sat and was skunked bad. Couldn't even find mac for trolling! 1st time ever skunked especially after 7 hours on water with live bait, swim baits ghost shrimp, Nada. Oh well there's always next time!
As long as I'm fishing I'm happy, it's nice to catch fish but it isn't necessary
Old 07-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
CON KSO

Interesting.

My daughter and I the east side this Sunday. On the water by 7:30am, tide coming in, lots of water moving, light wind. It seemed like it was going to be a good day to log some spotties.

The first two hours we were fishing in a morgue. Totally dead.

I'm talking no hits, no fish, nothing type of slow. My daughter was fishing Gulp Shrimp - everything eats Gulp shrimp, right? Evidently not. She switched it out to a rootbeer colored plastic curly tail- the ribbed ones you can buy at Fisherman's Landing- the money bait, all-time-greatest hit spottie killer. Even coated it with Uni butter. Yawn. No love.

We made the paddle out to the flats in front of the giant off-loading dock - nada.

It wasn't until we paddled around the parking lot and into the pilings that we started grinding out a fish here and a fish there. All spotties (well one mackerel too) and all of them tucked up into the shadows of the docks. This was about three hours into the day - we kept grinding it out, a fish here, a fish there. We just kept working at it.

At high tide it seemed like we detected a pulse but by then In 'n Out was on our minds and there was no denying it anymore.

We ended the day with about eight fish between us - way, way slower and lower numbers than we'd been used to picking up when fishing the east side. My finder was reading 78 degrees and I'm starting to think that the water's getting too warm.

Total conjecture: I think the fish are moving. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about but it seems like something happened in the last week and a half. Anybody else got a theory - the skunk seems to be thick right now.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #9
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
Interesting.

My daughter and I the east side this Sunday. On the water by 7:30am, tide coming in, lots of water moving, light wind. It seemed like it was going to be a good day to log some spotties.

The first two hours we were fishing in a morgue. Totally dead.

I'm talking no hits, no fish, nothing type of slow. My daughter was fishing Gulp Shrimp - everything eats Gulp shrimp, right? Evidently not. She switched it out to a rootbeer colored plastic curly tail- the ribbed ones you can buy at Fisherman's Landing- the money bait, all-time-greatest hit spottie killer. Even coated it with Uni butter. Yawn. No love.

We made the paddle out to the flats in front of the giant off-loading dock - nada.

It wasn't until we paddled around the parking lot and into the pilings that we started grinding out a fish here and a fish there. All spotties (well one mackerel too) and all of them tucked up into the shadows of the docks. This was about three hours into the day - we kept grinding it out, a fish here, a fish there. We just kept working at it.

At high tide it seemed like we detected a pulse but by then In 'n Out was on our minds and there was no denying it anymore.

We ended the day with about eight fish between us - way, way slower and lower numbers than we'd been used to picking up when fishing the east side. My finder was reading 78 degrees and I'm starting to think that the water's getting too warm.

Total conjecture: I think the fish are moving. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about but it seems like something happened in the last week and a half. Anybody else got a theory - the skunk seems to be thick right now.
I've had friends return from 3 and 5 days of fishing trips in Mexico and they were super slow as well. I failed to mention as fishing the kelp beds near a party boat, I watched and nobody was pulling in fish for the exception of 1 lucky angler who pulled in a WSB which was the only excitement for 2.5 hours. I think waters are too warm as well...
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
I would 100% agree with that. My last time out was the same story: way slower bite than expected, no fish where I'm used to, took forever to finally get SOMETHING in the boat.

Fish move. It happens. I just don't know these fisheries well enough to be able to figure out where they have moved to. Although my bet is they have moved to deeper and possibly cooler waters...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
Druko

I targeted Halibut all weekend, first in Redondo on Sat and Dana on Sunday, no fish or raked baits... Every boater I spoke to said it was slow for them also.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #12
tacmik

Best place to launch for shelter island is just west of the boat ramp. A nice gentle beach down to the water.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #13
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Best place to launch for shelter island is just west of the boat ramp. A nice gentle beach down to the water.
I don't know the area. Where is the boat ramp, which exit off the 5?
Old 07-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #14
Harry Hill

I did talk with some guys in a skiff who caught 62 bass probably a mile from where I was fishing. I should have paddled over that way
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #15
wwkf

Shelter island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Hey just goggle shelter island
wwkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:51 AM   #16
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkf View Post
Hey just goggle shelter island
that is what I did, I had to get the view though to see the beach, I think the boat ramp is the outboard boat club ramp. I could just launch off my trailer there.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #17
Amish Ed

Off the first section of the beach is parking for vehicles with trailers. Park there and walk your yak to the beach. The ramp is under going construction and is down to only one lane. Lots of congestion.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Take 5 south, get off at the Rosecrans exit. go west until you reach shelter island dr. go left till you hit the water.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Take 5 south, get off at the Rosecrans exit. go west until you reach shelter island dr. go left till you hit the water.
that will work, I guess I will have to take my cart. I'd better check the tires for air, it's a bitch when the tires are flat.