Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
roadx

down scan or down image sonar

my lowrance mark 5x pro died and need to get another sonar. i think i will go with color but not sure if DS or DI is worth getting?

what is the real world maximum depth ds or di will work in salt water?

will 455khz or 800 khz do the job in LJ up to 300' feet?

does anyone have screen captures or recordings in deep water using DS or DI ?

anyone have a humminbird and wants to share their likes and dislikes?

im particularly looking at the HB 597ci hd di is this a good unit ? or go back with lowrance? say elite 5x or hds 5 and forget the down scan/down image.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Lets_Fish

Here are two links, one to HB & the other for Lorance.

HumminBird 597ci HD DI Combo
http://store.humminbird.com/products...ci_HD_DI_Combo

Lorance Structure Scan:
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...pecifications/

From what I read on the HB, the max depth for DI is 250 ft. while on the Lorance Structure Scan the max depth is 100 ft. (800kHz) & 300 ft. (455kHz). With teh Structure Scan use still need to purchase a unit to use it with.

I own a HB 798cisi, problem with the "SI" version of HB is that if you want to use that function the transponder must be in the water. This makes for a difficult setup on a kayak. The DI versions are more user friendly in that respect. They also have a smaller "thru hull" transducer that can be gooped or wet mounted to the hull.

Good luck on your search.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I tried the HB model with downscan and all I got was trouble with water intrusion, and corrosion . They were frustrating to deal with.
I eventually ended up spending a little bit more for the HDS 5 when they first came out. They have been slow to respond, but they did make sure that the maps issues were corrected. I do not know the limitations of the structure scan technology but I will say that I cannot imagine ever needing more than the stock HDS-5 for fishing big game in LJ. A standard 50/200 ducer works very well for me, but some feel the higher frequencies provide better detail in shallow waters, the deeper waters do better with the lower frequencies. Although the side and down scan technologies are cool, they are better off being used to find bug structure than fishing for big game... and at $600 for the add on module and a second ducer to worry about it seems a bit much for a yak... so save the money and go buy a new reel!

my 0.02

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Whatever you pick do not get the Elite. They are no good for the ocean. Have seen a buddy with one and have to play with it for hours just to get fuzz on bait schools with maxed out colorline. The menu is the craziest and hardest i have worked with. AVOID THE ELITE!!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

I am leaning toward the HDS as well, I have had nothing but trouble with
HB products, water intrusion as well, just sent my 365i back for the last time....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
GregAndrew

You are going to have to deal with a big transducer if you go with DI or DS, which will probably have to be in the water. I agree with The Kid, don't go with the Elite. I had several problems with mine. If they could get a good software update for the HDS5 I would have no prob. recommending it. You can add DS or SS to the HDS5 later if you want too. DS would be good for locating structure if you fish for bottom dwellers. SS would probably be of more help for locating bait.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote