Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
FamousJay
Junior

Tackle systems...

I am in the market for a new tackle bag or possibly even a small box set up.

What is everyone else using and where are you stashing them on your yak?

I currently have a plano magnum box, but it's simply to big and awkward for kayak use.

If you have pics that would be sweet aswell...

Thanks in advance
-Jay
FamousJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
steveoh

I found these lock box tupperware at the asian stores. They run a couple dollars to $10-15 for the bigger versions....I use a big one approx. 14"x10"x6" as a waterproof case and have smaller planos to organize hooks, weights, etc. The bigger one that I have is not pictured in the photo, but has a handle which I use to bungee down when launch/landing in surf.

lockandlock.jpg
steveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

constantly looking for different ideas, but the medium size Plano
waterproof boxes are working pretty well, and they will fit in the hull
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Plano boxes in a tackle crate and a bungee cord.

Works for me too. A single box with all the goodies crammed in. hooks, weights, swim bait, etc.

Fits in the hull. Mostly float between feet or in the milk crate.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I found a small "soft" cooler that is ment to hold a 6 pack or a lunch. It fits 3 small plano boxes nice and snug. Cool thing is that the cooler has a handle with snaps so its easy to secure to any available eyelet. Little tip to.. I keep a small tupperware with a little bit of babypowder in it. Before iput things back in the plano I toss em in with the babypowder to remove any moisture. Waterproof planos are awesome.....if they aren't trapping water in
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
yotasan

my tackle box

this is everything. my dikes and other tools i carry in my pfd and side pockets (hobie revolution). but these are my tackle boxes. nothing fancy just the stock hobie bucket and a converted tackle box which was my daughters bead and necklace box. i don't take much with me. oh, and my live well full of whatever bait i catch..

swimbaits and jigs, irons for yoyo'ing and tossing on the surface and live bait for tolling and soaking.. all my hooks are in there and most importantly, UNI BUTTER.. gotta have the butter..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my box.jpg (53.3 KB, 144 views)
yotasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Kailolo

Revo--tight space. Several Plano waterproof 3640 series boxes fit nicely thru the center hatch. 11x7, even the deeper one fits okay. Since they have o-rings, you can bungie 1 or 2 to the deck in front of you if you want.

Can use 3740/41 series depending on your yak.

U can use a leash/cord to keep them from sliding in the hull, or velcro, or glue 2 pieces of pool foam transversely inside the hull, one under the seat, the other against the mirage drive well, which keeps stuff from sliding out of reach.

I use a piece or two of sidewalk chalk in each box to absorb water to prevent rust.
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailolo View Post
Revo--tight space. Several Plano waterproof 3640 series boxes fit nicely thru the center hatch. 11x7, even the deeper one fits okay. Since they have o-rings, you can bungie 1 or 2 to the deck in front of you if you want.

Can use 3740/41 series depending on your yak.

U can use a leash/cord to keep them from sliding in the hull, or velcro, or glue 2 pieces of pool foam transversely inside the hull, one under the seat, the other against the mirage drive well, which keeps stuff from sliding out of reach.

I use a piece or two of sidewalk chalk in each box to absorb water to prevent rust.
I like the sidewalk chalk idea.
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Hamachijohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
constantly looking for different ideas, but the medium size Plano
waterproof boxes are working pretty well, and they will fit in the hull
+1. I tie it with poly rope to my hobie gear bucket. If your gear bucket is not deep enough for u, go to Lowes and buy an 8" bucket in the paint dept and cut out a portion for the twist lock-it'll probably hold a six pack
Hamachijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Monovasia

I use the stock Hobie box as well

For almost everything, I also have a soft velcro'd folding pocket kit for extra metal if I am fishing top water...I have found the simpler you make it the more successful u r...
Monovasia is offline   Reply With Quote