Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
bigbarrels

Through scupper transucer mount

Has anybody tried one of these? I have three kayaks and my primary kayak is set up with the HDS-5 but my other two kayaks do not have FF. I was thinking if I used this set up I could transfer a new FF between the second and third kayak (tandem) relatively easy. Just curious if anyone has had experience with this set up.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...r-Mount/Detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1pXAbaX-Y

Last edited by bigbarrels; 03-27-2012 at 08:13 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
YakMedic

I used this set up for swapping my FF between my Xfactor and Tarpon 160. It works well. The problem I had with it was I was overly concerned about hitting the transducer while loading and unloading my yaks.

It fits some yaks better than others depending on the channels that run with your scuppers. It fit the Xfactor great, but hung out a little far on the tarpon.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Has anybody tried one of these? I have three kayaks and my primary kayak is set up with the HDS-5 but my other two kayaks do not have FF. I was thinking if I used this set up I could transfer a new FF between the second and third kayak (tandem) relatively easy. Just curious if anyone has had experience with this set up.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...r-Mount/Detail
I know this is a new way to install a transducer, but trust me it works. It's not permanent and you can move the FF from Kayak to Kayak. Electrical Putty installations are simple, not messy at all and very easy to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0

In this video you will see him create a well setup however I would do something different. Create the ring that he did and then put a thin layer of putty in the bottom of that well, this provides the media needed to conduct the readings. pinch the putty around the ducer and it will not come out and you'll get good readings.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I know this is a new way to install a transducer, but trust me it works. It's not permanent and you can move the FF from Kayak to Kayak. Electrical Putty installations are simple, not messy at all and very easy to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0

In this video you will see him create a well setup however I would do something different. Create the ring that he did and then put a thin layer of putty in the bottom of that well, this provides the media needed to conduct the readings. pinch the putty around the ducer and it will not come out and you'll get good readings.
An even better option would be to put a thin layer of marine grease, (proven to work), in the well rather than water or putty. I am also doubtful that the putty would permanently hold the transducer when stored and transported upside down. Gluing a couple pad-eyes on either side of the well would provide anchor points for a zip-tie or Velcro strap, however.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I used this set up for swapping my FF between my Xfactor and Tarpon 160. It works well. The problem I had with it was I was overly concerned about hitting the transducer while loading and unloading my yaks.

It fits some yaks better than others depending on the channels that run with your scuppers. It fit the Xfactor great, but hung out a little far on the tarpon.

Yeah, I was thinking it might stick out a ways (depending on yak hull) but I would break it down after each use (looks easy to do).

Jimmyz, thanks for that link. It makes me want to redo my HDS-5 setup.