Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #21
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Dude at the Dana barge was quite confident in telling me today that kayak scoops there were not changing in price.
Wrong, the price will be $20 for a kayak scoop.

Aside from not raising prices in 8 years, the Bro's were sued by a dude who climbed aboard the receiver (despite all the signs saying not to), fell and broke his leg. It is now necessary to have two people on the receiver now at all times.

Not sure how much that affected the price change but aside from the amount they were sued for the price of their insurance must have skyrocketed.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #22
mrJB

THEY LIED...

Bait was $20 today despite being told many times over the past few weeks that a kayak scoop would remain $10.

Let's see... some A-HOLE BOATER sues the company so they'll raise boaters' prices 35% or so. AND KAYERS' PRICE 100%. Sure, that's fair. What the f did we have to do with it? What's that, about $1 - $1.50 a sardine? I don't think so... I give the F'inham Bros plenty of my money each year for bait and gratuities and now that's out the door...

Time to invest in more sabikis, put the $20 in my gas tank, and go add to the overcrowding at some other spots...

Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #23
momo fish

Nice service to have, but bait making is part of the fun and experience...
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #24
BIG JOAQUIN

Well at the SD bait barge I used to tip to $15. Now they'll get face value for the kayak scoop. I got kids to feed too!
BIG JOAQUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #25
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Any word on the price of a scoop of squid at Newport or Nachos for kayakers?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #26
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Besides Macs, I think I've only caught a few anchovies once on a small sabiki. I don't remember ever catching sardines. If I wanted dines or anchovies I probably don't have a choice but to buy them. But now I'm done with their bait unless someone wants to share a scoop since I usually release more than I use most of the time. 100% increase is ridiculous. They probably don't need our money anyway, the charters alone probably pay their bills. Speaking of charters, I wonder if the sport boats are going to raise prices now to cover the bait increase.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe

Last edited by alanw; 06-01-2016 at 11:36 PM.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #27
HELLSTER INC.

Launched out of mission bay yesterday over to the cliffs with not much to report but figured i would pickup some sardines. I understand the need for bait price increase but $20 for 8, 4-5" sardines is a joke. I asked the guy "that's it for $20" and he replied...yep,be lucky you got that many! I replied, never getting my $20 again. Are they trying to do away with us completely. There die off is probably 10 times what us kayaks buy from them.....
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #28
Mahigeer

Quote:
Besides Macs, I think I've only caught a few anchovies once on a small sabiki. I don't remember ever catching sardines.

For sardines, bare hook works best. Silver or gold.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #29
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Besides Macs, I think I've only caught a few anchovies once on a small sabiki. I don't remember ever catching sardines. If I wanted dines or anchovies I probably don't have a choice but to buy them. But now I'm done with their bait unless someone wants to share a scoop since I usually release more than I use most of the time. 100% increase is ridiculous. They probably don't need our money anyway, the charters alone probably pay their bills. Speaking of charters, I wonder if the sport boats are going to raise prices now to cover the bait increase.
Wow. I have never ever caught anchovy on a sabiki. Ive snagged them in dense balls but they filter such small stuff from the water a sabiki fly shouldnt interest them.

On topic, never bought bait on the yak and never will.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #30
momo fish

Hmm no you got ripped off.. The kayak scoop is at least a dozen to 20 pieces of bait... I would of asked for more or asked for my money back..

Raise the price I understand... Give the customer less than what the standard scoop is.. Heck no

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSTER INC. View Post
Launched out of mission bay yesterday over to the cliffs with not much to report but figured i would pickup some sardines. I understand the need for bait price increase but $20 for 8, 4-5" sardines is a joke. I asked the guy "that's it for $20" and he replied...yep,be lucky you got that many! I replied, never getting my $20 again. Are they trying to do away with us completely. There die off is probably 10 times what us kayaks buy from them.....
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #31
YakDout
Brandon

Everingham Bros. Bait Price Increase

Used to by sardines only once in awhile If I thought making bait would be tough, and only if they were big healthy green sardines. Its never again though with the price increase.

Have any of you guys ever used senioritas for bait? I have caught them a couple times but never tried em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #32
HELLSTER INC.

I don't normally buy bait but i wanted to mix it up a bit with some sardines....never again. In the past at Dana point i have had to tell them to stop, that's enough. Not the case in San Diego!
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #33
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Used to by sardines only once in awhile If I thought making bait would be tough, and only if they were big healthy green sardines. Its never again though with the price increase.

Have any of you guys ever used senioritas for bait? I have caught them a couple times but never tried em.

Yes. Anything you catch on the sabiki will work as bait.. senorita salema perch croker queenfish lizardfish. Not garibaldi.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #34
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Stay away from Mission, total ripoff compared to Dana.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #35
YakDout
Brandon

Did you guys see the episode of BD local knowledge where the guys are using live spotted bay bass and sand bass in la bocana area to fish for the big gulf and broomtail grouper. Pretty cool especially because there isnt a ton of mackerel around that area (the times I have been down there at least).

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #36
stoned-trout

not worth it..i will be using more mackeral and smelt I catch myself..prob start fishing for more lizard fish too....